CLK55 AMG, CLK63 AMG (W208, W209) 2000 - 2010 (Two Generations)

Project Chrome Dome.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-31-2009, 10:12 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
sounds like airplane
actually, all I need to know is how to take the upper half of the intake apart.

Got intake off car and separated and got the 4 screws out- scared to yank on it too much. How does that "inside" come out?
Old 01-31-2009, 10:28 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
2001 E430
I posted a reply in your other thread. Basically I had to heat it up and then gently pry the pieces apart while tapping the outside of the mani (where the glue bonds would be) with a plastic mallet and you could hear the glue cracking away. After a while you should be able to gently pry it the rest of the way apart. Just take it easy and use your head.
Old 04-25-2009, 09:58 AM

2000 CLK 320 Coupe
How to disassemble my manifold?

This is the first I’ve seen of someone disassembling a MB manifold, maybe you guys can help me?
I have been chasing this for months, dating back to when I bought a MAF sensor because I got my check engine light with the code P170 (intake fuel trim something). I changed the MAF sensor, no luck!
I kept checking as recommended for a vacuum leak. I found this leak by running the car at idle and spraying MAS spray cleaner around the intake track, near the identified location, the spray effected the idle--bingo! I applied some extra torque to these bolts and the leak went away for about a month---but now it's back!
Needless to say I need to change this gasket, but I contacted my long time MB dealer and they said that the intake manifold is not “serviceable” here—in other words the intake manifold is sold as an assembly, so the gasket and torques specs are not available! They say I have to buy the entire intake manifold---big bucks!
In the photos in this thread it looks like this gasket is really an o-ring type seal right?
Help, has anyone come across this same problem on the 320 motor? How have you guys solved this? I can’t believe anyone that is mechanically inclined would buy an entire manifold to solve this leak.
Thanks for any help
Attached Thumbnails Project Chrome Dome.-upper-20intake-20gasket.jpg  
Old 04-25-2009, 10:23 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
98 Black C43 , 08' ML320 CDI ,11 E63
Originally Posted by jettech
This is the first I’ve seen of someone disassembling a MB manifold, maybe you guys can help me?
I have been chasing this for months, dating back to when I bought a MAF sensor because I got my check engine light with the code P170 (intake fuel trim something). I changed the MAF sensor, no luck!
I kept checking as recommended for a vacuum leak. I found this leak by running the car at idle and spraying MAS spray cleaner around the intake track, near the identified location, the spray effected the idle--bingo! I applied some extra torque to these bolts and the leak went away for about a month---but now it's back!
Needless to say I need to change this gasket, but I contacted my long time MB dealer and they said that the intake manifold is not “serviceable” here—in other words the intake manifold is sold as an assembly, so the gasket and torques specs are not available! They say I have to buy the entire intake manifold---big bucks!
In the photos in this thread it looks like this gasket is really an o-ring type seal right?
Help, has anyone come across this same problem on the 320 motor? How have you guys solved this? I can’t believe anyone that is mechanically inclined would buy an entire manifold to solve this leak.
Thanks for any help
I had my manifold cleaned up by Anthony @ TVT Design.Check this thread - https://mbworld.org/forums/c36-amg-c...oject-c43.html and contact him for the proper sealant.
Old 04-09-2014, 08:05 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
1999 E55, 2005 E55 AMG
port Polish intake

Is any one still doing this type of work
Old 04-17-2014, 04:10 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 371 Likes on 279 Posts
05 c55 silver, 98 Imperial Red C43
Originally Posted by C43AMG
I had my manifold cleaned up by Anthony @ TVT Design.Check this thread - https://mbworld.org/forums/c36-amg-c...oject-c43.html and contact him for the proper sealant.
Is that member even active anymore? I remember that thread suddenly died and no one ever replied to it...

Would be nice to know what kind of sealant he used too since im i the middle of cleaning/polishing my intake mani...
Old 12-14-2014, 11:47 PM

2005 crossfire

Originally Posted by PJmak
Is that member even active anymore? I remember that thread suddenly died and no one ever replied to it...

Would be nice to know what kind of sealant he used too since im i the middle of cleaning/polishing my intake mani...

Hi, I'm new on the forum. I took apart my manifold and I'm not sure about applying gasket maker around the ports. Did you get any resolution to your problem? The yellow line indicates the original gasket that I'm reusing, the areas marked in blue is what I'm wondering about.
Old 03-31-2015, 03:06 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2001 E320 Wagon
Lower Manifold Channel Separation

May be a very outdated question, but how did you go about separating these from the external part? I accidentally broke the fork that moves the butterfly valves and I cant seem to get the internal chambers out of the lower part of the manifold to get to them..

I dont want to buy a new one but im not sure how to fix it at this point if I cant separate them..

Any help would be greatly appreciated!!
Old 03-31-2015, 03:13 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2001 E320 Wagon
Originally Posted by coolx

Hi, I'm new on the forum. I took apart my manifold and I'm not sure about applying gasket maker around the ports. Did you get any resolution to your problem? The yellow line indicates the original gasket that I'm reusing, the areas marked in blue is what I'm wondering about.
Hey,

Ignore the spots you have in blue, but you need to connect the parts in yellow as well. Essentially you should have a thin beat of RTV that runs straight down the manifold as well as on the outsides (which has a larger, thinker bead)
Old 05-07-2017, 01:03 PM

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts
2002 E55, 2003 ML500
Here goes nothing with a gravedig....original pics aren't showing up anymore...anyone got some pictures of the port work kicking around still? Sounds like I'm missing out on some beautiful intake ****!
Old 05-08-2017, 09:30 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 98 Likes on 88 Posts
2002 CLK 55 AMG cabriolet Eurocharged
The 1998 to 2001 cougars are European designed and have the same intake concept.
The racing folks are gutting the secondary plates.
If you want to seal this intake properly use loctite RTV for Porsche and Mercedes Head gaskets. I have the number somewhere but it is intended for applications like this.

Recently modding my M113 and it was a necessity. Google head gasket sealants for Porsche Alusil engines. It is available on Amazon.

It is not recommended to gut the M113 intake secondaries without preparing for a re tune.
My 2 cents in this 2006 informative thread.
Cheers

Last edited by GatorMB; 05-08-2017 at 09:32 PM.
Old 02-24-2019, 12:28 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 157 Likes on 136 Posts
2002 CL500 to CL55 conversion
Originally Posted by v8sonly
Here goes nothing with a gravedig....original pics aren't showing up anymore...anyone got some pictures of the port work kicking around still? Sounds like I'm missing out on some beautiful intake ****!
i agree this is a huge problem for these forums lately, half the photos uploaded over the years are unavailable
Old 02-24-2019, 12:29 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by GatorMB
The 1998 to 2001 cougars are European designed and have the same intake concept.
The racing folks are gutting the secondary plates.
If you want to seal this intake properly use loctite RTV for Porsche and Mercedes Head gaskets. I have the number somewhere but it is intended for applications like this.

Recently modding my M113 and it was a necessity. Google head gasket sealants for Porsche Alusil engines. It is available on Amazon.

It is not recommended to gut the M113 intake secondaries without preparing for a re tune.
My 2 cents in this 2006 informative thread.
Cheers

you mention the sealant but there’s very obviously some glue in some places inside the intake that need re - applied too
Old 03-16-2019, 07:14 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 98 Likes on 88 Posts
2002 CLK 55 AMG cabriolet Eurocharged
Amazon Amazon

Here is a link to the sealant. I would apply to all mating surfaces of intake halves sparingly.
you dont want excess collecting into the butterfly.

Cheers
Old 03-16-2019, 01:31 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by GatorMB
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B015CC6WH0...v_ov_lig_dp_it

Here is a link to the sealant. I would apply to all mating surfaces of intake halves sparingly.
you dont want excess collecting into the butterfly.

Cheers
thanks but I was talking about the glue. Most of it is sealant but there are two pieces that are actually glued on. Most people say use plastic epoxy, I used JB weld