CLK55 AMG, CLK63 AMG (W208, W209) 2000 - 2010 (Two Generations)

AMG posers

Search this Thread

Rating: Thread Rating: 49 votes, 5.00 average.

Old 09-06-2016, 10:59 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 85 Likes on 76 Posts
SL55, ML500 & Acura TL
Originally Posted by Tej7
How do you guys feel about the new 43 "amg" nomenclature? Do you believe that they deserve the amg badge even though the engines are not hand made?

I ask because I've got a c43 on order, but just want to see how people feel about the dilution of the brand. They're technically not fake since they're spec'd by amg, and built in affalterbach (at least the coupes are). However, I personally feel like they shouldn't have advertised them as being part of the AMG line up. Thoughts?
Apologies if this article had been posted before. I dropped in a link below, but these two paragraphs say it all.

AMG used to be a name synonymous with racing, ludicrously fast cars and vehicles that only brave individuals would drive. Now, AMG is becoming a lifeless brand that just puts badges onto mid-range models. Some may see this as a good thing. Because a cheaper and slower AMG model means that more enthusiasts can enjoy the cars, but that takes away from AMG's rich history and, simply put, makes the cars dull.

There used to be a time when one could hear the pops and bangs of an AMG model and know that the car had a hand-built engine that creates enough torque to make time stop. Now, you can’t even tell the difference between an AMG and a regular Mercedes, which isn’t right. A few years ago, one could say that there was a little AMG in every Mercedes, now it looks like there's too much Mercedes in every AMG.
Is Mercedes-AMG Destroying Itself By Trying To Sell More Cars?
Old 09-06-2016, 11:43 AM

Received 49 Likes on 41 Posts
C43 Coupe
^ Very fair point. I don't blame them for trying to sell more cars, it is a business at the end of the day. I just feel like they should have considered the "one man, one engine" philosophy. That said, I'll still enjoy my 43
Old 09-07-2016, 10:38 AM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
E55 AMG | Buell Lightning XB12
Originally Posted by Tej7
^ Very fair point. I don't blame them for trying to sell more cars, it is a business at the end of the day. I just feel like they should have considered the "one man, one engine" philosophy. That said, I'll still enjoy my 43
As well you should. In the end, the cash spent is no different as a currency.

Personally, I feel that if you compare the C230 Sport of the W203 era, versus the AMG Sport (and now, just AMG on the right-half of the trunk lid), it becomes plainly obvious that it's a marketing power-grab, using the AMG moniker.

However, Mercedes is a manufacturer to the general public, whereas Pagani is not, for example.
The following users liked this post:
Tej7 (09-07-2016)
Old 09-07-2016, 01:31 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 190 Likes on 169 Posts
2006 E55, 2012 GLK350 & 1992 190e sportline
AMG is also trying to separate themselves from Mercedes. All the new models are branded as AMG like the SLS AMG. If you notice you wont here someone working for AMG call it "Mercedes" SLS AMG anymore.
Old 09-26-2016, 01:57 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 442 Likes on 306 Posts
19 E63s(wifeys) & a 21 GLE580
Poser? Or just lucky initials?

Old 09-27-2016, 07:41 AM

Received 37 Likes on 34 Posts
Originally Posted by BACnMercedes
Poser? Or just lucky initials?

Good one! I vote for initials.
Old 11-13-2016, 07:32 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Ordered AMG GLE 63 S Coupe
Found this beauty in front of me on the expressway. A dual exhaust was even added. The picture sucks but it had a S550 badge on the left side and an AMG badge on the right. AMG posers-photo287.jpg

Last edited by Ridgeback; 11-13-2016 at 07:38 PM.
Old 11-19-2016, 03:21 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
W209 CLK320
Lol, so sticking the amg badge on non amg car is not good, but what if someone make a amg bodykit on non amg car (stock badges) is he also a poser? �� WHAT IF! Someone have a moded benz (turbo or some ****), non amg but with all the bodykit, and he have more horse power than amg, and he leave the badge 350 and stick the amg on right? Someone respond me on that lol
Old 11-19-2016, 04:37 PM

Originally Posted by Bartz
Lol, so sticking the amg badge on non amg car is not good, but what if someone make a amg bodykit on non amg car (stock badges) is he also a poser? �� WHAT IF! Someone have a moded benz (turbo or some ****), non amg but with all the bodykit, and he have more horse power than amg, and he leave the badge 350 and stick the amg on right? Someone respond me on that lol
If you slap an AMG badge on a car that is not a manufactured AMG car you're a poser. You can add AMG trim and do whatever you want to a non AMG car...that's fine...when you badge it...you're a poser.

If in doubt, enter your VIN # in the AMG private lounge..https://www.mercedes-amg.com/private...ration/welcome ...if it's not AMG...no enter...if your car has an AMG badge and you can't join the private lounge, you're a poser...I think that that will tell you if you're a poser or not.
Old 11-19-2016, 05:07 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
W209 CLK320
Lol, i dont have any badge, for me adding a look of a "AMG" is being a poser that want to show the world that he have a AMG! sticking badge is same thing like making whole amg bodykit, if You dont have the engine, dont make a bodykit, agree or not? Making amg look body isin't the same thing like making amg look using a badge?
Old 11-19-2016, 07:26 PM

Originally Posted by Bartz
Lol, i dont have any badge, for me adding a look of a "AMG" is being a poser that want to show the world that he have a AMG! sticking badge is same thing like making whole amg bodykit, if You dont have the engine, dont make a bodykit, agree or not? Making amg look body isin't the same thing like making amg look using a badge?
you're going round and round..if you don't have an AMG and you add a badge that tries to make others think that you have an AMG...you're a poser...don't know why that's so hard to understand
Old 11-19-2016, 07:41 PM
tw2
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 284 Likes on 233 Posts
2005 E55 AMG, 1991 MR2
Seen this one a few times. They forgot the dual exhaust, bodykit, calipers and wheels at the factory. I would have sent it back.
Old 11-22-2016, 06:29 PM

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts
2003 CLK500, 2003 CLK55, 2008 CLK550
Lol, 117 pages of this? You all are crazy.

You know what, instead of judging people based on their "badge", maybe you should actually talk to them?

Living in Chicago, I see true AMG cars all the time. And I drive next to them all the time. Most of the true AMG cars I see, I try to make eye contact, wave, or even just look to see if they look back. Nope! They could care less that they drive an AMG, and could care less what car I drive. We are not "bretheren" like the Jeep, Vette, or motorcycle crowd.

Or, when taking off from a stoplight, they will be chatting away on a cell phone while the prius in the next lane out accelerates them to the speed limit. In this case, I'd rather they not be representative of the amg crowd!! Haha.

On the other hand, Ive had guys that have an AMG badge on a non-amg car pull up to me and want to chat my ear off about our cars!! They don't give off a "poser" vibe, but a vibe that they know the cars and have a strong interest in them.

Idk, you "purists" out there that believe AMG is the sum of the parts of a car, I would strongly disagree. AMG is not just a caliper, a bumper, a badge, a wheel, or a guy turning a wrench to hand build your motor.

Although, what does my opinion matter, I have never owned an AMG. I have owned a clk500 badged as a Brabus (Brabus suspension, catback, and body kit) so I guess Im probably a poser as well. Oo, and I also own a clk550 with the AMG package. No badge, but the wheels are amg. So I guess again, I must be a poser.

Funny, cuz my "poser" clk probably has more track time than 95% of amg cars on the road. Ill just keep posing and having my fun while you all bicker over what a "real" AMG is.

Question, do you think 95% of AMG owners even realize their motor was hand built? Do you really think 95% of AMG owner realize there is a plate on their motor signed by the guy that built it? But I guess they aren't "posers" because, well, they own an AMG.
The following users liked this post:
whiteC3002016 (12-13-2016)
Old 11-22-2016, 11:46 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 36 Likes on 31 Posts
'15 T&C & '14 SL63
Old 11-23-2016, 08:43 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by 91ser

You know what, instead of judging people based on their "badge", maybe you should actually talk to them?

Living in Chicago, I see true AMG cars all the time. And I drive next to them all the time. Most of the true AMG cars I see, I try to make eye contact, wave, or even just look to see if they look back. Nope! They could care less that they drive an AMG, and could care less what car I drive. We are not "bretheren" like the Jeep, Vette, or motorcycle crowd.

Or, when taking off from a stoplight, they will be chatting away on a cell phone while the prius in the next lane out accelerates them to the speed limit. In this case, I'd rather they not be representative of the amg crowd!! Haha.

On the other hand, Ive had guys that have an AMG badge on a non-amg car pull up to me and want to chat my ear off about our cars!! They don't give off a "poser" vibe, but a vibe that they know the cars and have a strong interest in them.

Idk, you "purists" out there that believe AMG is the sum of the parts of a car, I would strongly disagree. AMG is not just a caliper, a bumper, a badge, a wheel, or a guy turning a wrench to hand build your motor.

Although, what does my opinion matter, I have never owned an AMG. I have owned a clk500 badged as a Brabus (Brabus suspension, catback, and body kit) so I guess Im probably a poser as well. Oo, and I also own a clk550 with the AMG package. No badge, but the wheels are amg. So I guess again, I must be a poser.

Funny, cuz my "poser" clk probably has more track time than 95% of amg cars on the road. Ill just keep posing and having my fun while you all bicker over what a "real" AMG is.

Question, do you think 95% of AMG owners even realize their motor was hand built? Do you really think 95% of AMG owner realize there is a plate on their motor signed by the guy that built it? But I guess they aren't "posers" because, well, they own an AMG.
if you dont care why add the badge. do you put fake logos on your shoes if they look kind of like nike's? Also you can get the AMG kit on sport models of the car does that make it an AMG? No. If your car was made in Mexico not an AMG. If it isn't the craziest thing offered in the lineup... not an AMG. Whats so cool about an AMG those who know, know. those who don't don't matter.
Old 11-23-2016, 09:18 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

SL55, ML500 & Acura TL

Making friends one post at a time eh.

If you had looked at even 1/2 dozen of those 117 pages you would have seen all of your questions asked and answered multiple times. Also, people like you drop in from time to time to chastise us arrogant AMG *****, to which we usually reply with giggles. Thanks for the levity.

Originally Posted by nycphotography
Haha!

haven't seen you around these parts lately.
Old 11-23-2016, 10:39 AM

Of course we stop by once and a while. Because whats the point of sticking around here? I'll be gone soon enuf and you can continue your quest to feel superior to other drivers in peace. And of course I am not going to go thru 117 full pages.

Sure, I am positive you find true "posers" all the time. I wont defend them all because there are some *** hats out there. I am claiming there are just as many true AMG posers as there are people that put AMG badges on a non-AMG car.

As I mentioned, in Chicago, I probably see more AMG cars with posers than I see non-AMG cars badged as such. Honestly, if even half the people with AMG cars would look around and acknowledge other cool cars on the road, I might be less critical. But most of the time, they are clueless drivers that had enough extra money to buy the AMG car. To me, thats just as bad as a non-AMG guy putting an AMG badge on their car.

You all throw the word "poser" around as if no AMG driver could ever be one of those!! I tell you what, you can make friends with them. Id rather go hang out with a true car guy, no matter what badge is on his car. AMG or not.
Old 11-23-2016, 11:05 AM

I dont care, therefore I could care less if it has or does not have the badge.

But have I seen people decorate their shoes with symbols? Yes, hang around the skateboard crowd. They are trying to be expressive. At times, its like their shoes and boards are only being held together by said stickers! Lmao

Hey, its cool. I'll be gone soon enough from this section of the boards. I have to defend Mercedes and AMG all the time to other crowds. For example, the vette guys I race with give no Mercedes cars any credit, AMG or not. Funny, because when they cant shake me at the track in my lowly 500, they usually are a lot more open to chatting about Mercs after the race. I have to defend my car all the time, so Im probably on the defensive. Its just tiring feeling like anywhere you go, you have to defend your car from the naysayers out there. Even when Im suppose to be at home with my Mercedes brethren.

Again, Ill just keep enjoying the back roads and tearing up tracks. My non-AMG cars both put a huge smile on my face, and I guess that is all that matters.

P.S. I actually prefer the 500 to the 55 on track. Why? Track day consumables. And if I even blow a motor, a used motor/trans/rear end is much cheaper on a non-AMG car. Rotors are cheaper as well. And the four piston calipers are beastly after you add EBC Yellowstuff.

Originally Posted by insame1
if you dont care why add the badge. do you put fake logos on your shoes if they look kind of like nike's? Also you can get the AMG kit on sport models of the car does that make it an AMG? No. If your car was made in Mexico not an AMG. If it isn't the craziest thing offered in the lineup... not an AMG. Whats so cool about an AMG those who know, know. those who don't don't matter.
Old 11-23-2016, 11:11 AM

Of course we stop by once and a while. Because whats the point of sticking around here? I'll be gone soon enuf and you can continue your quest to feel superior to other drivers in peace. And of course I am not going to go thru 117 full pages.

Sure, I am positive you find true "posers" all the time. I wont defend them all because there are some *** hats out there. I am claiming there are just as many true AMG posers as there are people that put AMG badges on a non-AMG car.

As I mentioned, in Chicago, I probably see more AMG cars with posers than I see non-AMG cars badged as such. Honestly, if even half the people with AMG cars would look around and acknowledge other cool cars on the road, I might be less critical. But most of the time, they are clueless drivers that had enough extra money to buy the AMG car. To me, thats just as bad as a non-AMG guy putting an AMG badge on their car.

You all throw the word "poser" around as if no AMG driver could ever be one of those!! I tell you what, you can make friends with them. Id rather go hang out with a true car guy, no matter what badge is on his car. AMG or not.
Obviously you have your head screwed on backwards...If you went thought even a few pages of posts, you would see that it is comical that people who don't have an AMG car resort to badging them...This thread is just that...seeing the lengths that people use to emulate an AMG car. They are posers...plain and simple. Sorry that we can't play into your hand about speaking to people etc BS.
Old 11-23-2016, 11:41 AM

Ive occasionally been in this thread many times over the last 3-4 years. And you are right, its comical at times to see some of the cars.

But it doesnt stop there. Its all over the boards. As soon as an AMG badge is flashed on a non-AMG car, all hell breaks loose. Which is OK for some cars. But I also see some crazy builds with custom supercharges, upgraded brakes, upgraded suspension, sometimes eclipsing what an AMG is or can do. But for heavens sake, if it doesnt have a hand built motor, then I have to listen to people bicker for several posts, when all I want is to hear about the build!!

Also, lets not forget the history of AMG!! AMG was NOT part of Mercedes. It was an aftermarket tuning company that started in 1967. Literally, you bought parts from them, bolted them onto your Mercedes, and added an AMG badge. They started as a company that literally catered to "posers". They also made a good portion of their money from "posers".

"During the early 1980s and up until 1990, AMG offered a variety of engine performance packages, alloy wheels and styling products as an entirely independent company from Daimler-Benz. In 1990, AMG signed a co-operation agreement with Daimler-Benz, and AMG options and cars were then offered in Mercedes-Benz showrooms; in 1999 Daimler AG, then known as DaimlerChrysler AG, bought the controlling share of AMG and made them part of the official Mercedes-Benz line-up." Wikipedia

But somehow along the way, you all decided that if it wasnt an AMG from the factory, with a handbuilt engine from the factory, that it is not worthy of the AMG badge. Sorry if I just see AMG as something more than that.
Old 11-23-2016, 11:47 AM

http://jalopnik.com/5963503/forgotte...p-a-mitsubishi

But what do I know, as AMGs are only Mercedes that had a hand built engine from the factory.
Old 11-23-2016, 11:49 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

But somehow along the way, you all decided that if it wasnt an AMG from the factory, with a handbuilt engine from the factory, that it is not worthy of the AMG badge. Sorry if I just see AMG as something more than that.
If rentech did upgrades on my non AMG car I wouldn't put an AMG badge on it.
Old 11-23-2016, 11:57 AM

Originally Posted by insame1
If rentech did upgrades on my non AMG car I wouldn't put an AMG badge on it.
Well, its Renntech with 2 n's.

If you did Renntech upgrades on the car, would you add a Renntech badge? Many people do. And it seems as tho that is acceptable on these boards. Even if its only a Renntech tune or lowering kit.

If I buy AMG struts, springs, rotors, bodykit, ect, it for some reason is still not acceptable on these boards.

So, I guess I dont follow your comparsion..........

Last edited by 91ser; 11-23-2016 at 11:59 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 11-23-2016, 12:13 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

SL55, ML500 & Acura TL
91ser

You seem to hold a special reverence for people who track their cars. What makes you think people on this thread don't track their AMGs?
Old 11-23-2016, 12:52 PM

They do!! Im not saying they dont. Im not even saying AMG cars arent amazing. I love AMG!!!! But why so much hate for non-AMG cars?!?!

Now, as I mentioned, I prefer to track the 500. Its truly is not as special as an amg, i know that. Which makes it a blast because I can push it to its limit and I dont have to worry about a hand built motor or replacing more expensive 2pc brakes, ect.

Ive got basic mods on the 500, Bilstein B8s, Eibach springs, Stoptech rotors and SS brakes lines, EBC Yellowstuff, Brabus catback. Driver dependent, I think my non-AMG is just about as quick as a stock 55 around the track. But if I was to throw on an AMG badge (dont worry, im not going to) I would be called a "poser" and be chastised in this thread.

Its just sad to see all the people on here who muck up other threads because of some AMG superiority complex.

Again, AMG was a company that was not only built on racing cars and engines, but selling those parts in the aftermarket to the crowd that wanted faster road cars. So in the 70s, 80s and 90s, you had people buying AMG parts and throwing an AMG badge on their car. The company was heavily built on the money of these "posers".

But now that AMG was absorbed by Mercedes, and since the "One man, one motor" mantra started, its like the history of AMG has been throw out the window.

Im just trying to say, dont have such a narrow minded view of AMG. Yes, there are MANY MANY posers out there that truly deserve to end up as a picture in this thread. Please dont think I am saying otherwise. And I do get a good laugh out of some of the cars posted here.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 49 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: AMG posers