CLK55 AMG, CLK63 AMG (W208, W209) 2000 - 2010 (Two Generations)

AMG posers

Search this Thread

Rating: Thread Rating: 49 votes, 5.00 average.

Old 01-20-2015, 04:08 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
E55 AMG | Buell Lightning XB12
Originally Posted by AMGAffalterbach
They aren't slapping on AMG badges, only a small one on the front fender to indicate it is an AMG sport model. They will keep the nomenclature AMG-Sport thankfully
So, similar to "SRT Design", and presumably regarded in the same fashion.
Old 01-20-2015, 06:56 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 36 Likes on 31 Posts
'15 T&C & '14 SL63
BTW... (also at the Detroit show) BMW had M on damn near every crappy 3, 5, and X series they had there.

It's what ALWAYS happens when the marketing and corporate wonks figure out that some symbol = money.

The engineers cringe, shout, and object loudly.... but at the end of the day the engineers never win those arguments. Never.

Last edited by nycphotography; 01-20-2015 at 06:59 PM.
Old 01-21-2015, 03:25 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
2014 BMW M235i
Originally Posted by Rob CL
So, similar to "SRT Design", and presumably regarded in the same fashion.
Yep, equivalent to M-Sport, S, SRT-Design, etc.
Old 01-21-2015, 04:23 PM

Received 41 Likes on 34 Posts
09 CLK550
Originally Posted by AMGAffalterbach
They aren't slapping on AMG badges, only a small one on the front fender to indicate it is an AMG sport model. They will keep the nomenclature AMG-Sport thankfully
Yeah I was there today. This makes me sad
AMG posers-20150121_133517_zpst4qjop8d.jpg
Old 01-25-2015, 08:13 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
2003 CLK55
Originally Posted by ambit
Yeah I was there today. This makes me sad
Indeed, that is very sad!
Old 01-25-2015, 04:54 PM
tw2
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 280 Likes on 231 Posts
2005 E55 AMG, 1991 MR2
Sounds like they mainly up'd the boost. Of course there are many other minor changes (exhaust/transmission etc) listed but for power at least C450 = C400 + a tune? Kind of sucks to think it has the same power as our CLK55's. Oh well things improve all the time; they are 12 years old now.
Old 01-28-2015, 11:33 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2014 BMW M235i
^That's an interesting comment, it really is saddening (for me, right now) how even non-Mercedes, mainstream vehicles have followed a fairly impressive performance trend with turbocharging, direct injection, etc that especially for people like me at elevation has made what was in 2007 a pretty fast car seem less so in comparison.

With that being said the supercharged M113 has really stood the test of time when compared to the numbers of newer generation cars and engines. My next car is unequivocally going to be a V8 TT.
Old 01-28-2015, 02:10 PM
tw2
MBWorld Fanatic!

2005 E55 AMG, 1991 MR2
Yeah, things always improve and what was fantastic performance a decade ago usually filters down into main stream. I guess the trick is to be happy with what you have. My CLK55 has to last at least another 2-3 years before I could look at something else.

Then again most middle performance M-sport, this AMG-sport, S audi's etc are nearing 4.8-5 seconds 0-60's. I doubt they will go much lower otherwise it is going to be very difficult to maintain the difference from the premium performance models. I suspect they will keep looking at smaller engines and efficiency in those cars while keeping the same performance figures. Look at the new E550, one tune and you almost have the performance of a stock E63 biturbo for a lot less. It has to even out sometime soon.
Old 01-28-2015, 10:33 PM

Originally Posted by tw2
Yeah, things always improve and what was fantastic performance a decade ago usually filters down into main stream. I guess the trick is to be happy with what you have. My CLK55 has to last at least another 2-3 years before I could look at something else.

Then again most middle performance M-sport, this AMG-sport, S audi's etc are nearing 4.8-5 seconds 0-60's. I doubt they will go much lower otherwise it is going to be very difficult to maintain the difference from the premium performance models. I suspect they will keep looking at smaller engines and efficiency in those cars while keeping the same performance figures. Look at the new E550, one tune and you almost have the performance of a stock E63 biturbo for a lot less. It has to even out sometime soon.
I agree, though if I were looking for performance -only-, I'd probably be driving a Mustang...

No, on second thought, I wouldn't.
Old 01-29-2015, 02:16 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
cars
This sums up the whole "poser" issue pretty well (from another thread)

Originally Posted by synaptik
first you said its not a real AMG until you spend 130k to 300k with it. then you dont have a problem with a 50k cla45 because its designed by AMG. private lounges, fast launch times, etc dont tell me what AMG stands for because the definition changes whenever its convenient for the company and for snobs like you. christ, even between amg fanboys there's arguments about the cla45.

seriously if you wanted a purer brand with the performance and exclusitivity to match, you shoulda gone with a ferrari. at the end of the day you share a mercedes badge with much cheaper and slower cars so don't act like you're a cut above. no one besides you gives a damn that you drive a "real" amg.

its like those ricers that step into a gtr and then pretend the rest of nissan isnt good enough for them.

please, i dont even have a mercedes. i dont care about the amg badge, who put it on which car or the lack of it on a c450. my whole post was to ridicule elitist fanboys and you've certainly risen up to the call.
Originally Posted by Jaxwired
Couple of thoughts on this interesting discussion. First of all, I would never want AMG badges on a non AMG car. That would be done by people that merely value the appearance of greatness rather actually having true greatness. In fact, I'd take a car with world class performance that appeared ordinary over a car that looked like it had world class performance but actually didn't.

I don't buy a car for the badges, I buy it for the performance and design. I personally couldn't care less about the AMG moniker. In fact, I could have bought the AMG CLA for what I paid for the C400, but IMO (and the opinion of quite a few reviewers) the c400 is the overall better car. For that matter, I didn't buy a Mercedes for badge bragging either. I'd gladly buy a Honda over the Mercedes if I liked the cars performance and design better.

I also do not believe that the numbers support that the CLA45 will "blow the doors off" the c450. Seems highly unlikely. More likely to be a photo finish as the cars will be very close in performance.

Ironically, where I live in a very affluent suburb of Dallas, I see AMGs all the time and 99 times out of a 100 they are driven in grandma mode. It would seem they are frequently purchased as a status symbol purely because they are the most expensive. When you think about it who's the real poser, me driving my C400 and exercising it's excellent performance or all these wealthy snobs driving their AMGs like a school bus?

Originally Posted by kuba.95
It was mostly synaptiks trolling etc which caused the fighting. If it was just your post then there probably would have been a debate without any fighting.

Yup every company will always be more interested in volume sales and profits rather then their fanbase etc. If I was a average Joe then I probably would have chosen a "C450 AMG Sport" over a "C450" just because the name would have sounded cooler and sportier lol, and I wouldn't have known anything about what AMG's are etc. (Most people actually don't know what a AMG is). Although owning a AMG was always my dream, and I always respected the brands history so MB degrading the AMG name stings a bit.

Ya that'd make sense since even the average joe probably heard about Mercedes pure domination in F1 from his friends.

I agree the C450 is here to stay, same as the Audi S Sport line, and the BMW Sport line. Although I'm glad that they changed the AMG badging and the AMG name slightly to create more differentiation. (AMG is called Mercedes-AMG now instead of Mercedes-Benz AMG, and the AMG badge is now on the left side instead of the right side.)

Originally Posted by MDMercedesGuy
The funny thing is that the AMG line models have been available overseas for years... sold and advertised by Mercedes as AMG line vehicles. Here's a lowly C200 diesel with the AMG line.

-

This elitism appears to be a US phenomenon.

Originally Posted by bwoodbmw
How did this thread turn into ANOTHER badging thread? Hilarious stuff people really need to relax.
I'm going to buy a C63s and put a Porsche emblem on it to see if the AMG guys freak out. Or maybe i'll downbadge my 911 with an AMG badge and see if that makes AMG guys happy?
Who cares. I think its goofy when people add any badging to their cars but I sure as hell don't get worked up about it. I see "M" badged BMWs all the time and I think its funny but it certainly isn't diluting the M brand or insulting those who pony up for real M cars. Y'all need some bigger things in life to worry about.

The point of this thread is that I want to know when pricing and ordering will be available for a car that for me looks like it may be a great fit. I'm excited about this car, the rumor that it will only be German produced, the added performance over the C400, the beautiful interior that makes it attractive to me where the CLA45 is not a car I would ever purchase, etc...
Bunch of babies. Who cares if non AMGs get badged with AMG. If you're only buying an AMG because the badge makes you feel special and superior than you need to examine your own shallow motives. If you're buying an AMG for the performance than how does abuse of the AMG badge hurt you? You get to enjoy a real AMG and these fake AMG drivers don't.

Originally Posted by Vdhroso
I have a c350 with the AMG sports package with AMG floor mats and wheels. And yea I have AMG license plates but personally I would never put AMG on my trunk cause I think it just looks stupid if my trunk was C350 ///AMG, it doesn't make sense. I had a few people think it was a real AMG but I quickly educated them. People can do what they want, but you AMG owners don't need to get mad because someone wants to mess around with AMG badging. At the end of the day you're getting the real AMG experience and satisfaction, while the "posers" are riding around in their fake AMGs but at least we all get to enjoy the unrivaled luxury that Mercedes benz gives us.
Originally Posted by ManiacGT
IMHO the only people that get upset are those that want the AMG badge for the snob value. Get over it, enjoy the car.
^^^

Last edited by Stealth222; 01-29-2015 at 10:48 PM.
Old 01-29-2015, 02:55 PM

^Welcome to the forums!
Old 01-29-2015, 05:15 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 36 Likes on 31 Posts
'15 T&C & '14 SL63
^Welcome to the forums!
+1.

(Even though I can't make any sense out of what he posted).
Old 01-29-2015, 06:33 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 85 Likes on 76 Posts
SL55, ML500 & Acura TL
Originally Posted by nycphotography
+1.

Me neither. Was going to ask white210 if his comments were in red, bold, or both.
Old 01-29-2015, 10:45 PM

cars
^Welcome to the forums!
Originally Posted by nycphotography
+1.

Thanks.

Originally Posted by cal1
Me neither. Was going to ask white210 if his comments were in red, bold, or both.
*EDITED* My comments are in red.
Old 01-30-2015, 10:31 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 926 Likes on 718 Posts
'99 and '05 E55 AMG
When everybody is special, nobody is special. - Buddy

Posers cheapen the value of the brand (why do companies jealously guard their trademarks?) and betray the spirit of auto enthusiasts. Sort of like a civilian prancing around in a military uniform and claiming to be what he is not.

If every Cadillac I see is labeled "CTS-V", big whoopee; I'm not going to look twice. As it stands now, if I see a CTS-V in the parking lot and the owner is nearby, I'll strike up a conversation with him/her as the owners are often enthusiasts. Some of them even do their own performance mods.

Today I saw my first W211 E350 rebadged as an E63. Took me a moment to figure out what was wrong with it and then I just shook my head in disappointment. Be proud of what you drive and don't pretend to be what you aren't.
Old 01-31-2015, 03:14 AM

Originally Posted by bbirdwell

Posers cheapen the value of the brand (why do companies jealously guard their trademarks?) and betray the spirit of auto enthusiasts. Sort of like a civilian prancing around in a military uniform and claiming to be what he is not.

If every Cadillac I see is labeled "CTS-V", big whoopee; I'm not going to look twice. As it stands now, if I see a CTS-V in the parking lot and the owner is nearby, I'll strike up a conversation with him/her as the owners are often enthusiasts. Some of them even do their own performance mods.

Today I saw my first W211 E350 rebadged as an E63. Took me a moment to figure out what was wrong with it and then I just shook my head in disappointment. Be proud of what you drive and don't pretend to be what you aren't.

I literally couldn't say it any better. Any argument to the contrary would have to be classist, and thus baseless.
Old 02-01-2015, 02:45 PM

Received 23 Likes on 22 Posts
sl600
You guys notice all the new AMG's have the badges on the left side of the trunk.
Old 02-01-2015, 08:03 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 1,884 Likes on 1,321 Posts
2014 E63S; AMS 100 octane ecu tune; edok tcu tune; BB intakes; dyno tuned

Well said
Old 02-01-2015, 08:24 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2014 BMW M235i
I agree completely about devaluing the brand and the uniqueness of an AMG product, made that point before and the thing that really confuses me is to 99% of people no one knows or cares what an AMG versus a regular Mercedes is. And, among the people like us that do care and love cars, you aren't fulling anyone by posing. Therefore, in the end, you're really only tricking a small subset of people and looking like an idiot to the rest.
Old 02-02-2015, 01:43 AM
tw2
MBWorld Fanatic!

2005 E55 AMG, 1991 MR2
You are correct. The general public, no one has even heard of AMG. Most people know nothing about mercedes. They recognize the star for what it is occasionally and thats about it. All those numbers and letters on the back, very confusing!

I saw an SL500 AMG yesterday (no photo sorry). I can guarantee I was the only person for the month of February who noticed it for what it was. So I agree they are solely looking stupid for people with AMG's a couple of others.
Old 02-02-2015, 04:57 AM

cars

Remember:
Bunch of babies. Who cares if non AMGs get badged with AMG. If you're only buying an AMG because the badge makes you feel special and superior than you need to examine your own shallow motives. If you're buying an AMG for the performance than how does abuse of the AMG badge hurt you? You get to enjoy a real AMG and these fake AMG drivers don't.
Your car doesn't make you special.
Old 02-02-2015, 10:24 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2014 BMW M235i
It doesn't make you, as a person, special but the car itself is special.
Old 02-15-2015, 05:52 AM

W209 2003 CLK55 Coupe
Seen in Winter Springs Saturday

Old 02-15-2015, 06:43 AM

Received 23 Likes on 22 Posts
sl600
That is a good one, i love the exhaust.
Old 02-15-2015, 09:02 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2003 Chevy Tahoe
So someone explain this one to me... Yesterday driving westbound on highway 66 near Dulles airport. SLK500 passes on the left with an AMG badge. Doesn't make sense to me! Must be some serious insecurities!

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 49 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: AMG posers