CLK55 AMG, CLK63 AMG (W208, W209) 2000 - 2010 (Two Generations)

problem with headrest (w209)

Old 02-11-2009, 05:26 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
problem with headrest (w209)

ran a search and it seems others have had problems with their headrests. My headrest will go down when i pull the seat forward but will not go down via the seat controls. The rest of the seat adjustments work, and i can hear the motor clicking and see the headrest move slightly down when i push the button down.

Anyone have the same experience?
Old 02-12-2009, 12:15 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
2017 W205 C43 AMG
Most likely it is the seat control on the door that needs to be replaced. The motor for the headrest should be fine, it's the controls only.
Old 02-16-2009, 09:30 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
2003 CLK55
Both my headrests stopped going up or down, even when I tried to put the seat forward. The motors were the cause. Might be different than your problem. My controls worked fine.
Old 02-16-2009, 12:48 PM

CLK 55
i've had that exact headrest issue time n time again...took it to the stealership to be fixed TWICE...worked for a couple days after the fix then right back to the bullshyt...i just learned to live with it *shrug*
Old 02-16-2009, 06:03 PM

sounds like quite a few people have had similar problems. I don't think I'll be buying another mercedes. I've had so many small issues with my car.
Old 02-17-2009, 05:18 PM

CLK55 2004
I've got a black on black '04. My drivers seat headrest will not go up or down. It does not matter what position the seat is in. Fortunately it became stuck just low enough that I can still barely pull it out of that gap between the top of the front window and the headliner. Arguably, it looks goofy having a tall headrest. I haven't taken the time to have it fixed.

I read somewhere, a woman was complaining because her seat became stuck after pulling it forward. The headrest did not automatically lower. I would not be happy. I'm now careful to not pull it all the way forward.

Rastus
Old 02-17-2009, 11:09 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
2003 CLK55
Originally Posted by Rastus

I read somewhere, a woman was complaining because her seat became stuck after pulling it forward. The headrest did not automatically lower. I would not be happy. I'm now careful to not pull it all the way forward.

Rastus
That almost happened to me. Luckily I was able to move the visor aside and the seat had to be wedged back. It took alot of force to get it unstuck. I had a few OH ***** seconds there because it was the drivers seat that was stuck forward. Car almost became a permenant fixture in the garage.
Old 03-09-2009, 02:28 PM

w209 Clk 55 Amg
same damn thing happend to me with the driver seat... While standing on the local Mc donalds parking lot on a sunday..... How stupid does that not look. Luckely with ALOT of violence and alot of swearing it came down. And does not function any more, which suits me perfectly while the damn thing started to really get onmy nerves.
Old 03-09-2009, 03:05 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Corrolla
Is there anyway we can turn that off while is still working ?? I just dont want those things go up and down that sh**t is just annoying. I rather have it all the way down.
Old 03-10-2009, 04:18 AM

CLS 55 AMG - one of the last off the AMG line
I dont think there is a standalone fuse for this without removing a large part of power. But there is a box under the seat which controls all of the motors. Can you maybe try removing one wire at a time from the box to see which one stops the upper headrest motor ?
Old 03-11-2009, 08:57 PM

2005 CLK55 AMG CABRIOLET
i posted on the board a while ago about my headrest getting stuck under the windshield frame (It didn't retract all the way down).
Old 03-13-2009, 02:20 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
W209, E46 M3 (dead), S54 swapped E46 Touring
same thing is wrong with my black 04 500. the passenger side is fine but the drivers side controls wont work. it got stuck one day and i had a hard time getting it back to its original position.
Old 03-16-2009, 02:39 AM

CLK55 AMG
anyone know where to get the rear head rest back plastic piece? i broke that thing when i put my rear seat down...
Old 06-18-2010, 10:21 PM

CLK55 2004
This is an old thread but I thought for information sake I'd post this.

I started noticing every time I picked my car up from the dealership the driver's headrest would be lowered and the controls would work. My service adviser said if you move you seat all the way forward and then all the way backward it resets something and allow the controls to start working again. I think that's the sequence of steps, it may be backward and then forward.
I have yet to try it but thought I'd post what I heard. It's annoying when the headrest stops working.
Old 06-19-2010, 12:42 AM

W211 E55 - W209 CLK (gone)
exact same thing happened with my car... good thing I've sold it to my friend. I don't know if he had it fixed....
Old 11-04-2013, 08:12 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 143 Likes on 133 Posts
2012 C300 4MATIC Sport
I fixed the headrest not going down and not going down when the seat is tilted forward yesterday.

Here is what I did:

-Took the seat's back cover by unscrewing the two screws at the bottom of the cover

-Removed the headrest by pulling it out of the two white cups that hold it there.

-Pushed the motor assembly to the right (towards passenger seat) and removed it.

-Removed a black cover on the motor assembly which hides a gear.

-Removed the motor from the assembly

-Removed the connector/board from the motor which WAS THE PROBLEM. The solder joints from where the cable connects to the motor were bad and loose. (picture at the end).

-Re-soldered the 4 joints and put everything back together.

Now everything works perfectly. I'll be more than happy to provide more details if needed.

^ You can see the 4 solder joints on the right and how they are almost empty. I re-soldered those.
The following 2 users liked this post by xsever:
MKnightMD (08-12-2020), Mlperry (07-22-2019)
Old 04-12-2015, 01:40 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
07 CLK550
Originally Posted by xsever
I fixed the headrest not going down and not going down when the seat is tilted forward yesterday.

Here is what I did:

-Took the seat's back cover by unscrewing the two screws at the bottom of the cover

-Removed the headrest by pulling it out of the two white cups that hold it there.

-Pushed the motor assembly to the right (towards passenger seat) and removed it.

-Removed the connector/board from the motor which WAS THE PROBLEM. The solder joints from where the cable connects to the motor were bad and loose. (picture at the end).

Now everything works perfectly. I'll be more than happy to provide more details if needed.

^ You can see the 4 solder joints on the right and how they are almost empty. I re-soldered those.
Thank you for taking the time to draft this up. I had the same issue only my battery was being drained overnight as a result. I can visibly see 3 of the solders not in tact. I'll have to break out my trustee soldering iron out tomorrow. Thanks again.
Old 07-22-2019, 08:16 PM

CLK350
Thanks for this post

Originally Posted by xsever

Here is what I did:

Old Post I know but I am a new CLK owner. Thank you for posting this information. I used it and now my headrest works perfectly. Onto the next project 😀
Old 07-22-2019, 11:09 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2012 C300 4MATIC Sport
Originally Posted by Mlperry
Old Post I know but I am a new CLK owner. Thank you for posting this information. I used it and now my headrest works perfectly. Onto the next project 😀
Glad I was of help and well done fixing it. I aold the CLK since then but I can't deny that I miss it with its pilarless design. Especially in summer.
The following users liked this post:
Mlperry (07-23-2019)
Old 08-12-2020, 10:14 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2006 CLK 500, 2010 S65 AMG, 2010 S63 AMG, 2006 Navigator, 1995 Ferrari 456 GT
This absolutely worked for me. Clear and concise instructions. Headrest works perfectly now.
Thank you xsever
Old 01-30-2024, 10:37 PM

Smart 451
@MKnightMD @xsever @Mlperry does this work for if the headrest will only go up (and not down), or only for if it doesn't move at all? ty
Old 04-04-2024, 01:21 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2012 C300 4MATIC Sport
Originally Posted by SF2LA
@MKnightMD @xsever @Mlperry does this work for if the headrest will only go up (and not down), or only for if it doesn't move at all? ty
It's been over 10 years since my fix post. I really can't remember anything. Good luck.