CLK55 AMG, CLK63 AMG (W208, W209) 2000 - 2010 (Two Generations)

My Modding Progress

Old 02-23-2012, 04:50 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 94 Likes on 77 Posts
haters crazy
Originally Posted by Kevwood
Cool, I'll be watching to see what you find. Looking forward to them header pics
I will keep you posted. I didn't end up dropping my car off at the header place. The guy turned out to be a worthless unprofessional racist. Won't get a dime of my money. I will take it somewhere else next week
Old 02-23-2012, 08:31 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 68 Likes on 44 Posts
C63 507 AMG DA Car #19
##

Sorry to hear that bb.... there are enough options out there to be very very picky! Ask How I know this
Old 02-23-2012, 09:24 PM

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
2006 CLS55 & 2002 SL55 (R129) Silver Arrow
BB, I had the same issues your having. Looping the fuel rail resolved the issue for me.

At high rpms cylinder 8 goes lean and triggers the misfire due to uneven fuel pressure at the injectors. Looping the fuel rail balances the fuel to all cylinders at all loads.

For me the problem showed up when i increased boost and put more demand on my fueling system.
Old 02-27-2012, 08:22 PM
Out Of Control!!

haters crazy
Originally Posted by betrezra
Sorry to hear that bb.... there are enough options out there to be very very picky! Ask How I know this
So true. Options are a good thing
Originally Posted by Tech-Tune
BB, I had the same issues your having. Looping the fuel rail resolved the issue for me.

At high rpms cylinder 8 goes lean and triggers the misfire due to uneven fuel pressure at the injectors. Looping the fuel rail balances the fuel to all cylinders at all loads.

For me the problem showed up when i increased boost and put more demand on my fueling system.
I took the rail off today to get it looped and noticed the y from the valve cover breathers was no longer in the tb. I also swapped injectors from cylinder 8 to 5. Thought that fixed it but nope same misfire and still in cylinder 8. So I added a bunch of resistance to the MAF wire and there was no more misfire!!! I need to dial in the MAF voltage properly and then get the car retuned and out to the track!
Old 02-28-2012, 03:51 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CLK55 '05 CLK320 '02
Originally Posted by blackbenzz
So true. Options are a good thing

I took the rail off today to get it looped and noticed the y from the valve cover breathers was no longer in the tb. I also swapped injectors from cylinder 8 to 5. Thought that fixed it but nope same misfire and still in cylinder 8. So I added a bunch of resistance to the MAF wire and there was no more misfire!!! I need to dial in the MAF voltage properly and then get the car retuned and out to the track!
from know on ur the injector expert!! no wonder u were talking about the cut allen wrench
sounds like ur figuring it out one step at a time. good luck with that keep me posted with ur progress
Old 02-28-2012, 05:58 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C63 507 AMG DA Car #19
Now we're getting somewhere! Prob pegging the meter. Curious to see what your voltage is up in the load.

I understand from cory they have to sometimes go thru 5+ meters until they find one that will work on these klee cars..... the sensativity is much more critical when you force 2* the air through the stock meter element. It's resolution becomes more important.

Good luck.
Old 02-28-2012, 08:35 AM

frankenstein 2001 CLK 430
what air mass line did you put the resistor on? the white yellow for temp? because you already have a big MAF housing so it shouldn't be pegging it ...
Old 02-28-2012, 04:40 PM
Out Of Control!!

haters crazy
Originally Posted by hami
from know on ur the injector expert!! no wonder u were talking about the cut allen wrench
sounds like ur figuring it out one step at a time. good luck with that keep me posted with ur progress
Haha yea. I think I can do them with my eyes closed now lol. Yea it seems to be a never ending array of obstacles but I'm taking them one step at a time. It's getting close
Now we're getting somewhere! Prob pegging the meter. Curious to see what your voltage is up in the load.

I understand from cory they have to sometimes go thru 5+ meters until they find one that will work on these klee cars..... the sensativity is much more critical when you force 2* the air through the stock meter element. It's resolution becomes more important.

Good luck.
I agree, it was pegging the meter.

Thats crazy, I wonder why MB went with such a bad MAF and hasn't come up with a better replacement.
Originally Posted by ahmed18881
what air mass line did you put the resistor on? the white yellow for temp? because you already have a big MAF housing so it shouldn't be pegging it ...
The resistor came with the Kleemann SC and has been on the car since the blowr was put on many years ago. If my memory serves me correctly it is a yellow wire with white stripe. It is pegging it because when I dialed in more resistance it wasn't pegging anymore. I'm reading 11PSI with ported heads on my boost gauge I have a feeling once i get some real headers on the car boost will drop alot but engine will run much more efficiently
Old 02-29-2012, 02:58 AM

The resistor came with the Kleemann SC and has been on the car since the blowr was put on many years ago. If my memory serves me correctly it is a yellow wire with white stripe. It is pegging it because when I dialed in more resistance it wasn't pegging anymore. I'm reading 11PSI with ported heads on my boost gauge I have a feeling once i get some real headers on the car boost will drop alot but engine will run much more efficiently
for sure about the headers dropping boost but increasing flow which is much better, i am very interested in them too, i saw the headers on blackonblackCLK and sent him a PM about them, but no reply... i wish he posted a picture of the drivers side where the main problem is, i think i have a shop here in lebanon can do them for me, but using normal iron 2mm thick, not Stainless Steel.

when i went from .4 bar to .8 bar the car was leaning up top (15~16), so i never got shift 4th in it, so i added another resistor (510ohm) totaling now to 1020 ohm, and the car was running much better 12~13 AFR, so i increased my fuel pressure gauge from 5 bar to 5.8, and AFR became 11.5~11.9,
Old 02-29-2012, 03:29 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'05 C200K SS, '05 Kleemann CLK500K, '08 Hummer H3 & '92 Z34 5sp (track car in Canada)
I will keep you posted. I didn't end up dropping my car off at the header place. The guy turned out to be a worthless unprofessional racist. Won't get a dime of my money. I will take it somewhere else next week
Whoa, that's brutal man, sorry to hear that. I just got back from being without Internet for a week so I have lots of catching up to do on your and Jeff's threads.
Old 02-29-2012, 12:44 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2006 C55, 1995 C36
PM sent blackbenzz
Old 03-01-2012, 10:03 PM
Out Of Control!!

haters crazy
Adjusting the MAF properly is proving to be more of a PITA than I expected. I will hook up a voltmeter and try to get it right this weekend but it seems like I may have maxed out the resistance. At one point I had it running decent at wot but it was idling at mid 11s AFR! Ever since I've been adding resistance and now it idles ok but studders in third gear at wot Hopefully I can figure it out this weekend. Otherwise I may order a split second unit or something.

I'm going to opening day at one of the local tracks this sunday to try and get MAF voltage right. Also picking up some parts I bought (SRT 3.06 diff with wavetrac and DSS 1400hp axles). Going to try to see if I can fit them in my car and do some wheelies

for sure about the headers dropping boost but increasing flow which is much better, i am very interested in them too, i saw the headers on blackonblackCLK and sent him a PM about them, but no reply... i wish he posted a picture of the drivers side where the main problem is, i think i have a shop here in lebanon can do them for me, but using normal iron 2mm thick, not Stainless Steel.

when i went from .4 bar to .8 bar the car was leaning up top (15~16), so i never got shift 4th in it, so i added another resistor (510ohm) totaling now to 1020 ohm, and the car was running much better 12~13 AFR, so i increased my fuel pressure gauge from 5 bar to 5.8, and AFR became 11.5~11.9,
Funny you should mention him. I saw the headers in person a while ago and he said he would never want to do it again ll. Said you have to pull the motor to install them. Anyways, he made my exhaust from headers back. Unfortunately I lost his cell number when I switched phones
Whoa, that's brutal man, sorry to hear that. I just got back from being without Internet for a week so I have lots of catching up to do on your and Jeff's threads.
You should hear the voicemail this guy left me, it's rediculous!
Originally Posted by dre5373
PM sent blackbenzz
Thanks for the contact info
Old 03-02-2012, 02:27 AM

Adjusting the MAF properly is proving to be more of a PITA than I expected. I will hook up a voltmeter and try to get it right this weekend but it seems like I may have maxed out the resistance. At one point I had it running decent at wot but it was idling at mid 11s AFR! Ever since I've been adding resistance and now it idles ok but studders in third gear at wot Hopefully I can figure it out this weekend. Otherwise I may order a split second unit or something.

I'm going to opening day at one of the local tracks this sunday to try and get MAF voltage right. Also picking up some parts I bought (SRT 3.06 diff with wavetrac and DSS 1400hp axles). Going to try to see if I can fit them in my car and do some wheelies

Funny you should mention him. I saw the headers in person a while ago and he said he would never want to do it again ll. Said you have to pull the motor to install them. Anyways, he made my exhaust from headers back. Unfortunately I lost his cell number when I switched phones

Thanks for the contact info
the 3.06 diff will wake up the car really good the best mod i did , but remember you will need the TCU of a C43 (with +/- shift lever), or C32/CLK55 w209 to make it work, i am sure you already know that
Old 03-02-2012, 06:04 AM

'05 CLK55, '04 CLK320
thats messed up, what made the guy give a customer such a rude voicemail?
Old 03-02-2012, 06:16 PM
Out Of Control!!

haters crazy
Quick update. I cranked on the MAF resistor about 20 times to try and get maximum resistance on it. I then ran a wire into the cabin so I can monitor voltage from inside the cabin. I did 1 third gear pull and MAF maxed out at around 4.88V but I didn't quite hit redline and it didn't misfire. It started raining so that's as far as I got. I really like being able to monitor the Voltage from inside the car. I think I need a bigger custom MAF housing or a bigger resistor especially with the future mods I have planned. More updates to come Sunday when I go to the track on street tires and get more data on MAF voltage and pick up my diff and axles. Hopefully be ready in time for March 23rd, doubtful headers will get done before then but I just hope its runing well with axles/diff I should be able to hit this years goals if everything goes right March 23rd But I am far from done

the 3.06 diff will wake up the car really good the best mod i did , but remember you will need the TCU of a C43 (with +/- shift lever), or C32/CLK55 w209 to make it work, i am sure you already know that
I'm glad you like it becaue I wasn't sure if it was a big enough difference in gearing to really notice. I hope it fits! It's a bigger diff so I'm hoping it fits with the axles with slight modification. We shall see. Yes I can do that or get Jerry to reprogram the TCU, maybe switch in even shorter gears later down the road. Thanks forthe input Ahmed
Originally Posted by Moedy
thats messed up, what made the guy give a customer such a rude voicemail?
It wasn't just rude, it was full of profanities and racist slurs. All because I said I was dealing with a misfire issue and might need to hold off on the headers. Keep in mind we had nothing planned besides him looking at the car to see if he can do it and how much. Once he said it's cash only thing I got skeptical, then once he reacted like that I was glad I didn't take it
Old 03-03-2012, 01:13 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'05 C200K SS, '05 Kleemann CLK500K, '08 Hummer H3 & '92 Z34 5sp (track car in Canada)
It wasn't just rude, it was full of profanities and racist slurs. All because I said I was dealing with a misfire issue and might need to hold off on the headers. Keep in mind we had nothing planned besides him looking at the car to see if he can do it and how much. Once he said it's cash only thing I got skeptical, then once he reacted like that I was glad I didn't take it
That guy sounds like a certifiable psycho. I'm sure you'll be able to find several guys/shops that are willing to take on the project, good luck.
Old 03-03-2012, 05:48 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C63 507 AMG DA Car #19
BB - Could you have a custom shop use you klee headers as a starting point (flanges at block and partial header pipes), then go from there on down? Should save a few bones and make this a smaller job. Just a thought.
Old 03-03-2012, 08:16 AM
Out Of Control!!

haters crazy
BB - Could you have a custom shop use you klee headers as a starting point (flanges at block and partial header pipes), then go from there on down? Should save a few bones and make this a smaller job. Just a thought.
Well only things that I would reuse are the flanges and at the point its just better to sell them and get new flange made. The primary pipe diameter is too small for my liking and having two cylinders merge into one pipe that's the size of one primary is really bad IMO
Old 03-03-2012, 10:16 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C63 507 AMG DA Car #19
I got ya.... heck the flanges are probably the cheapest part of the project.
GL>
Old 03-04-2012, 04:56 PM
Out Of Control!!

haters crazy
Well I made two passes spinning half way down the track and no misfire. Picked up my axles and diff and I thought everything was great! I was wrong, misfired on way home and outer CV is too long and hubs won't work. I ordered a new maf sensor to try. Sometimes the voltage at idle is good and sometimes its high. I think maybe the sensor is bad. This thing is trying my patience!
Old 03-04-2012, 06:14 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C63 507 AMG DA Car #19
BB - how about some strategic wgt reduction?
100lbs is +/- a tenth.......
Oh how about a 40 shot for cooling effects?

Do you find a cool down makes a diff between passes? Of doesn't matter?

If you're spinning still how about some real slicks?

Thinking you have a high 9 in that beast with some tuning.
Old 03-04-2012, 06:46 PM
Out Of Control!!

haters crazy
BB - how about some strategic wgt reduction?
100lbs is +/- a tenth.......
Oh how about a 40 shot for cooling effects?

Do you find a cool down makes a diff between passes? Of doesn't matter?

If you're spinning still how about some real slicks?

Thinking you have a high 9 in that beast with some tuning.
I'm more concerned with the misfire than weight right now. The car does have race seats, cf hood, and top of back seats removed. That should be around 100lbs already

I'd like to get some clean no nitrous runs before playing with nitrous although blower cats love the stuff.

Cool down definitely makes a difference. What I did today was show up, go to tech, go straight to staging lanes and make a pass. The goal was to see if misfire was gone. It didn't misfire at track but I tried on the street and it was back! Grrr. I ordered a new may sensor to try. I was running on street tires today. Was pointless loll

I hope you're right. But the kinks need to be worked out. One step at a time I guess
Old 03-05-2012, 02:09 PM
Out Of Control!!

haters crazy
Another update: I have sent an axle out to DSS to look at and hopefully make me some 1000hp axles. I really need to stop modding this car
Old 03-05-2012, 10:12 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Another update: I have sent an axle out to DSS to look at and hopefully make me some 1000hp axles. I really need to stop modding this car
Famous (NOT so) last words!

Modding is an addiction, only therapy or bankruptcy will stop it
Old 03-06-2012, 01:51 AM

Famous (NOT so) last words!

Modding is an addiction, only therapy or bankruptcy will stop it

Search this Thread
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:
You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: My Modding Progress