CLK55 AMG, CLK63 AMG (W208, W209) 2000 - 2010 (Two Generations)

Trunk lock has developed a mind of its own, really?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-09-2014, 02:55 AM

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Currently: 2019 E450 AWD, Previous: 2002 CLK55 Cab
Trunk lock has developed a mind of its own, really?

I thought that it was me, always consider the possibility of operator error at my age but pretty sure that my car is just worked something loose and that something needs tightening. Need help figuring out what that something is.

I have noticed that if I close the driver's side door hard the trunk light pops on on the trunk release switch on the center console. When I go back to investigate the trunk is indeed ajar. When I close the trunk I can hear the motor whirr and then the trunk pops open again. Usually two or three times of me closing the trunk and it stays shut until I get back in the car , close the door a tad hard and its Ground Hogs day again and I get to repeat the cycle of fun. This has gone from quirky to really tiresome and annoying, especially when the GF is in the car and she is trying to figure out why I'm playing around jumping from the seat, running to the trunk, opening and closing it and then back in the driver's seat, etc etc. The trunk will open with the remote and it will open fine using the switch on the center console. I have not tried but I am pretty sure that it will open with the mechanical key as well. Last I haven't tried it but I'm sure that if I closed the trunk and then hit the green button designed to release the trunk in an emergency, e.g. when the bad kidnappers lock Little Timmy inside of the trunk and drive off with him, he can hit that button, bail and run for help.

So my questions are (a) have I missed any other way to open the trunk (b) how does the release mechanism work, i.e., either using the remote, center console switch or the button, a motor is actuated which releases the trunk lock, (c) where is that system located exactly so that I can check and see if some bit is loose such that when the car vibrates from a hard door close the mechanism is actuated, (d) is there a schematic for the system and part numbers in case I check all is tight and I now need to order bits to swap out something faulty. Thanks in advance.
Old 07-10-2014, 05:57 AM

Dang, 96 views and no ideas what could be causing this or where to look. Looking for a little help here this is really getting annoying. Thanks.
Old 07-11-2014, 08:23 AM

Received 37 Likes on 34 Posts
I don't think that this is your answer but since no one has responded to your pleas...I had a constant issue w/trunk releasing...turned out to be when I had things in the trunk, they were hitting the green button (ususally when I was on a bumpy road) and released the trunk.
Old 07-11-2014, 10:46 AM

Cindy, thanks. I did think of that and re-arranged things back there so everything was well away from the emergency release button. The thing is that there are no issues when the car is in motion, bumps in the road etc don't cause the problem. A hard close on either door will pop the latch. Additionally when I close it I hear a motor whir and then the latch is popped automatically.
Old 07-15-2014, 05:50 AM

Perhaps there is another way to ask this question. Does anyone have the schematics/ diagram of the trunk sensor array, i.e. how the trunk is wired to the latch, motor and sensors so I could trace and trouble shoot the problem.
Old 07-21-2014, 09:36 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 98 Likes on 88 Posts
2002 CLK 55 AMG cabriolet Eurocharged
Hey CR,
Try unplugging the green e-release for a start. (test)

The unlock motor has status limits open/close. I bet some foreign debris is caught in the latch. (compressed air to blow it out and follow up with spray lube).

Might have a print on another pc can post tomm.

Gator
Old 07-22-2014, 07:13 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 98 Likes on 88 Posts
2002 CLK 55 AMG cabriolet Eurocharged

Blue hash is the switch, Cable 3 goes to PSE control

nomenclature

The new photo functions for this site are awesome, With schematics sometimes a PM accompanied by a cell phone text might be better.

I bet the actuator is bad, my 124 all had issues, none yet for the 208.

Gator

Last edited by GatorMB; 07-22-2014 at 07:21 PM. Reason: added content
Old 07-24-2014, 06:15 AM

Gator, thanks. I will check it all out this weekend.