CLK55 AMG, CLK63 AMG (W208, W209) 2000 - 2010 (Two Generations)

Cooling fans in 2002 CLK 55 AMG

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-13-2014, 10:35 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
clk 55 amg
Thumbs down Cooling fans in 2002 CLK 55 AMG

My car started over heating last summer. The main cooling fan had failed. It was replaced and the problem was fixed. This year it started overheating again and I was told the Auxiliary fan had a bunch of corrosion in it around it etc and it was making it hard for it to turn so it had been popping the fuse. I felt the main fan should still keep the car cool enough, apparently not. They cleaned out corrosion and replaced fused. Problem fixed. Within a month fuse popped again and car running hot. I NEVER hear the main fan running when I shut the car off which I think is strange. When it's 100 out why wouldn't I hear the fan still running after car is shut off? AND where is this auxiliary fan located so I can see if it's working? How can I test on my own if the main cooling fan is working properly as well? Thank you so much for your time and help.
Old 07-13-2014, 12:51 PM

Received 29 Likes on 25 Posts
C43 5.4, ML320CDI, Fords
Aux fans are in front of the condenser. No they don't run with the key off, only with key on.
Old 07-13-2014, 04:02 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
clk 55 amg
THANKS SO MUCH!

Where is the condenser lol? Is there somewhere I can VIEW images of this stuff? AND would the main fan run after car is off, without key in? AND it really needs BOTH these fans to be operational to keep it outta the red in the temp gauge?
Old 07-13-2014, 09:35 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 77 Likes on 61 Posts
2002 CLK430
Your car wouldn’t have a pair of secondary fans if they weren’t needed under some conditions. You can’t hear the mechanical fan running when the car is off because it is mechanical – it uses the engine to power it.

The two auxiliary fans are behind the grill, and behind a second plastic grill, but in front of the condenser. Open the hood and look where the grill would be with the hood shut. You’ll see a plastic grill. Look closely and you’ll see two fans behind that. The secondary fans can be tested as follows - with the car off, insert the key and turn the ignition to the second position (where the dash lights are illuminated). Immediately press and hold both climate control "Auto" buttons for about 10 seconds and then let go - both black auxiliary fans should turn on. If only one fan spins, you may have a problem with the fan itself, the fan relay or a circuit to the fan. The fan will normally turn on at approximately 103 degrees Celsius. It will shut off at approximately 98 degrees Celsius, but doesn’t run with the car turned off.
Old 07-21-2014, 09:16 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 98 Likes on 88 Posts
2002 CLK 55 AMG cabriolet Eurocharged
Added note:

There is an axillary fan control unit that works with the AC and engine temp. (supposedly behind the left headlight).

The engine viscous fan clutch should carry the heat from the engine in most climates without the necessity of aux electric fans. Other problems in the cooling system might exist.
More diagnostics might be needed to get deeper.

My fan clutch is on the way out and the electric fans run maintaining around 85^ ~ 90^ C in extreme Florida summer heat.
100^ C is boiling.

Gator