CLK55 AMG, CLK63 AMG (W208, W209) 2000 - 2010 (Two Generations)

Beginning to think that there is no remote start love for my baby

Old 08-11-2014, 03:16 PM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Currently: 2019 E450 AWD, Previous: 2002 CLK55 Cab
Beginning to think that there is no remote start love for my baby

Guys,
I thought that I would start a new thread here for us W208 folks who can't take advantage of the great remote start product, Smart Key Starter, that Mid City Engineering made which integrates remote start capability with your OEM key fob:
http://www.midcityengineering.com/smartkey-starter (SKS211- W209.

For a variety of reasons I would find a remote start capability useful. I do not however want to carry two key fobs, one MBZ OEM and another for an after market product. I noticed that a remote start capability has been developed from your smart phone, thus eliminating the need to carry an extra fob.

In addition you can extend the range of your starter and remote initiate other functions in the car, from your smart phone with these systems:
http://smartkeystarter.com/

One of the companies that sells the Smart Key starter setup is Viper:
http://www.viper.com/smartstart/prod...e-start-system

As you can see the Viper system has a base system and then remote start modules. The VSM 250 remote start module won't work with my particular smart phone. The non GPS VSM 200 remote start module will however work with my phone. While the modules are plug and play to the Viper base system it is not clear that the Viper base system is plug and play with W208s.

Two questions:
1- Has anyone installed the Viper base system with remote start module in their W208? If so what is your overall review of the product?

2- Again if you have installed the Viper base system with remote start in your W208, was it plug and play or did it involve cutting and splicing wires?

3- If cutting and splicing wires are involved with the install of the Viper base system on a W208, what other remote start options are there for our cars?
Thanks.
Old 08-20-2014, 05:22 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 98 Likes on 88 Posts
2002 CLK 55 AMG cabriolet Eurocharged
Hey CR,
I have installed a viper system on my W124 but for the remote control of central locking system. Works well only hangup is the universal code scanner is available on the candy isle where the security systems were sold.
The only hang up I have with smart phone tech is the use of WiFi and entering personal data on a strange network.. But thats me. I am not a G+ fan either it seems so intrusive.

The OEM FOB on our cars is required to activate anything in the car, If it actually programs around this feature might be worthy. If the fob could be removed while in the run position it may work.

There was another gent some time ago wanting to close or open the top while navigating the parking lot but the W208 has a mechanical latch to hamper automatic operation plus 0 mph operation only limit.

Gator
Old 08-21-2014, 05:53 AM

Originally Posted by GatorMB
Hey CR,
I have installed a viper system on my W124 but for the remote control of central locking system. Works well only hangup is the universal code scanner is available on the candy isle where the security systems were sold.
The only hang up I have with smart phone tech is the use of WiFi and entering personal data on a strange network.. But thats me. I am not a G+ fan either it seems so intrusive.

The OEM FOB on our cars is required to activate anything in the car, If it actually programs around this feature might be worthy. If the fob could be removed while in the run position it may work.

There was another gent some time ago wanting to close or open the top while navigating the parking lot but the W208 has a mechanical latch to hamper automatic operation plus 0 mph operation only limit.

Gator
Gator,
I think that I need to talk to a Viper system installer, as Viper won't answer the phone
Themselves to see how the remote start gets around the OEM fob instead of integrating with it.
Old 08-24-2014, 11:30 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

I think it might be possible to do it with these.

Amazon.com: AGT (5 Pack) 30/40 AMP Relay Harness Spdt 12V Bosch Style (40AMP-HRNS): Automotive Amazon.com: AGT (5 Pack) 30/40 AMP Relay Harness Spdt 12V Bosch Style (40AMP-HRNS): Automotive

and some programming of the FOB to delete the panic button or modify the output in the car.
No cutting just some soldering to existing wiring.
The Viper will likely require you to cut an interrupt circuit in the start circuit and possible ignition circuit as the relays or logic is self contained.
Most aftermarket security system or stereo install will require cutting some cables. soldering makes it reliable.

hope this helps a bit,
Gator

Last edited by GatorMB; 08-24-2014 at 11:50 AM.
Old 09-04-2014, 07:11 PM

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
2009 clk-350 (Black) AMG, 2009 clk-550 (Pewter) AMG
Check out Idatalink
Old 09-05-2014, 06:41 AM

Thanks for the tip. I just went to their site and maybe I missed it but exactly which of their products works with my 2002 MBZ CLK55?
Old 09-07-2014, 05:14 PM

I think it might be possible to do it with these.

Amazon.com: AGT (5 Pack) 30/40 AMP Relay Harness Spdt 12V Bosch Style (40AMP-HRNS): Automotive Amazon.com: AGT (5 Pack) 30/40 AMP Relay Harness Spdt 12V Bosch Style (40AMP-HRNS): Automotive

and some programming of the FOB to delete the panic button or modify the output in the car.
No cutting just some soldering to existing wiring.
The Viper will likely require you to cut an interrupt circuit in the start circuit and possible ignition circuit as the relays or logic is self contained.
Most aftermarket security system or stereo install will require cutting some cables. soldering makes it reliable.

hope this helps a bit,
Gator
Gator,
I guess I missed this post. I am fine with tearing apart electronics and redoing the guts. Just rebuilt an old notebook. This sounds great is there software and presumably dongles to connect up my fob to and reprogram the panic button? Will I need SDS to do this? Reply by PM for security reasons is good as always. Thanks.
Old 09-09-2014, 08:36 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

There are a few options:

www.xcar360.com has dongles and software for any car imaginable including MB key fobs.

I think a creative locksmith that works on these fobs should be able to edit the files for the panic button.
My thought was to utilize the panic button output that works in the existing telematics system. I am sure it is logic driven but eventually an input goes to CLS (central locking system) this is tap-able for relay input and starting possible to run in the circuit mentioned in the old PM.
A dealer consult will help to determine if the analog panic telematics is still monitored and functional on their systems. The B service is supposed to cover this but all is digital now.
I could easily engineer a servo driven convertible top control off of this but the market is not real good for the investment.

Gator

Last edited by GatorMB; 09-09-2014 at 08:49 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 09-10-2014, 05:47 PM

There are a few options:

www.xcar360.com has dongles and software for any car imaginable including MB key fobs.

I think a creative locksmith that works on these fobs should be able to edit the files for the panic button.
My thought was to utilize the panic button output that works in the existing telematics system. I am sure it is logic driven but eventually an input goes to CLS (central locking system) this is tap-able for relay input and starting possible to run in the circuit mentioned in the old PM.
A dealer consult will help to determine if the analog panic telematics is still monitored and functional on their systems. The B service is supposed to cover this but all is digital now.
I could easily engineer a servo driven convertible top control off of this but the market is not real good for the investment.

Gator
Gator,
Thanks. What a great site. Took a while to dig through and find the right stuff. This is the kind of site that if I had the time my car hobby would become an obsession. It also shows me how much I would still have to learn to not jack up my car by fiddling with the wrong file. Maybe I need to look for just the right auto locksmith....
Old 09-10-2014, 09:09 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 52 Likes on 46 Posts
'18 GLE63S AMG /'19 PORSCHE TURBO S / '09 CORVETTE ZR1 /'14 LEXUS RX350/'16 RAV4 Ltd
Not certain about your car but I went with Compustart and Drone module..Iphone compatible so start from anywhere...I have installed in 3 of my cars and all work perfect..although they also have a security system I did not install it...with the gps tracking I can locate the vehicles on my phone screen..set speed limits and other options..

Old 11-23-2014, 08:52 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Hey CR,

sales@midcityengineering.com
Ok so here is where we are on the W210/W202/W208....

We have actually successfully installed a working remote starter on a smartkey equipped W210. The system is a bit different from all of the newer models in that it uses DAS2 instead of DAS3 and from an implementation standpoint it actually requires a different approach to properly bypass the security. The actual installation on these models will use an off-the-shelf remote starter or alarm/starter combo unit (like a compustar or viper system) and will then use our DAS2 bypass module which will handle the key security encryption over the data network. This will *not* require an additional key to be present as the bypass module will emulate a working smartkey. Additionally it should be noted that the W210/W202/W208 platforms are either not fully networked or use a non-standard network system so the actual installation of the remote starter will not be plug-and play (e.g. it will require soldering wires at various points of the vehicle like most other non-mercedes starter installations. Still its going to be a very cool product and will allow all the older MB owners to finally get their cars warmed up in the freezing winter... Typical retail price for the entire system installed (starter, bypass module, installation) will be around $499.

As always give us a call or email if you have any questions....

video of the working W210 starter...

This link is from a W210 but the W208 is same with most history. Best legal and safe shot yet.

Read

https://mbworld.org/forums/w210-amg/...ote-start.html

Its a safe start, Our W208/ AMG/55 is up to date

Gator

Last edited by GatorMB; 11-23-2014 at 09:48 PM. Reason: I shoukd have patented my amazon relay LOL
Old 11-24-2014, 05:43 AM

Gator,
This is promising and at a decent price installed. Critical here are two points,(a) one aftermarket module under the hood and (b) operating by using my current OEM Smartkey. Is this currently available?
Thanks.

Last edited by City Rat; 11-24-2014 at 05:53 AM.
Old 11-24-2014, 08:33 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

I am pretty sur the module will locate in the trunk close to central locking system.

The vendors integration will likely add on to engine circuitry we talked about earlier, The videos are showing OEM fob and multiple functions Lock/Un-lock while engine is running.

I only hope that it does not disable Central Locking system completely as this is one of the most sophisticated security systems in the world that integrates with towing, SOS, limp mode and dealer networks.

I would make it simple while maintaining all original aspect of the car. You should consult with them if you are still interested and get more details but from the videos, It is a PRO-MOD.

Cheers, Gator
Old 11-25-2014, 05:42 AM

Gator,
Agree 100% I would not like to lose the factory security system just have an add on that is well integrated with it and allows the additional functionality of remote start using the OEM key fob. I will give them a call and dig into this a bit deeper. Thanks again.