CLK55 AMG, CLK63 AMG (W208, W209) 2000 - 2010 (Two Generations)

Need a second opinion on this 05 CLK55

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-07-2014, 03:59 AM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
2005 Granite Gray C55
Need a second opinion on this 05 CLK55

I've been considering trading in my W203 for a W209. It seems almost impossible to find an 05 CLK55 within 300 miles of San Diego.

Here is what I found, the only 05. Every other W209s were 04 and below.
Orion Blue Metallic, with 97,453 miles.

Their link is weird. You have to copy and paste url into the bar.
http://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-sale/vehicledetails.xhtml?zip=92111&endYear=2015&modelC ode1=CLK55AMG&showcaseOwnerId=71304&startYear=1981 &makeCode1=MB&searchRadius=300&mmt=[MB[CLK55AMG[]][]]&listingId=379460081&Log=0

The Carfax report:
http://www.carfax.com/VehicleHistory...&partner=ATD_W

It is $1130 above market price... and the front right side has a crack and rash by lip.

Any thoughts and suggestions would help! Thanks guys

Last edited by MrVu; 12-07-2014 at 04:29 PM.
Old 12-07-2014, 01:10 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
'06 CLS55 P030
The autotrader link is not working..
Old 12-07-2014, 04:29 PM

2005 Granite Gray C55
Originally Posted by 516mbtek
The autotrader link is not working..
Sorry about that, their link is weird. It works if you copy and paste the url into the bar
Old 12-07-2014, 07:01 PM

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts
Firemist O5 CLK55 Cab Silver 05 CLK55 Coupe Tanzanite 06 CLK500 Coupe
nicer one on the bay

at least a few days ago
it was more $
Old 12-08-2014, 01:50 AM

2005 Granite Gray C55
Originally Posted by waveterrorist
at least a few days ago
it was more $
Yeah, Ive seen it come down every so now and then. I've been watching this ad for awhile now.

Hopefully someone has suggestions and advice for me soon!
Old 12-08-2014, 12:01 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 280 Likes on 188 Posts
CLK55 W209, CL63 W216
The car seems to be in good condition...from the pics at least. The bumper is a good bargaining point. A new bumper from Mercedes can easily run 1300+ paint. I guess they figured they'd reduce the price because of the bumper and still be at market price.

I see aftermarket rotors on the rear so I am wondering where the car was serviced.

I personally would buy something with fewer miles even if it was 04...and slowly spend my time upgrading whatever it needed upgrading.

05 has better:
- Stereo/nav (ancient by today's standards) so needs replacement anyway
- exhaust - is not a true dual exhaust.
- brakes - much better but you could upgrade to 63 brakes with 2 piece rotors up front anyway.

All in all I would probably go see the car and look into how it runs.
Old 12-08-2014, 02:03 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2001 CLK55 AMG
It was CPO from the first to second owner, which is nice, however, it hasn't seen a lot of service from MB since then, which would be on the carafax, that kind of scares me, so for me I would ask for service records and they better be detailed for that price. I wouldn't pay over market for the car. Also you're going to be the 4th owner, which is a hard sell later on. At 100k it's going to need some service, plugs, tranny service, which I also don't see on the carfax being done by MB, so if it hasn't seen a tranny service (with records to back it up) I would be really hesitant, especially on an AMG... At least one of the owners has driven the car like an AMG and without a tranny service at about 50-70K I would be worried about the trans. You have a lot of wiggle room with this car and I wouldn't be paying top dollar. Also, it should have had rotors by this point, as well as motor mounts.

Originally Posted by MrVu
Yeah, Ive seen it come down every so now and then. I've been watching this ad for awhile now.

Hopefully someone has suggestions and advice for me soon!
Old 12-09-2014, 02:02 AM

2005 Granite Gray C55
Originally Posted by megacrazy
The car seems to be in good condition...from the pics at least. The bumper is a good bargaining point. A new bumper from Mercedes can easily run 1300+ paint. I guess they figured they'd reduce the price because of the bumper and still be at market price.

I see aftermarket rotors on the rear so I am wondering where the car was serviced.

I personally would buy something with fewer miles even if it was 04...and slowly spend my time upgrading whatever it needed upgrading.

05 has better:
- Stereo/nav (ancient by today's standards) so needs replacement anyway
- exhaust - is not a true dual exhaust.
- brakes - much better but you could upgrade to 63 brakes with 2 piece rotors up front anyway.

All in all I would probably go see the car and look into how it runs.
The reason I was so inclined on the 05 models were the quad exhaust, and the bbk. I thought the exhaust were true duals.

I can always just go test drive it to a dealership for a PPI around the area, spend whatever amount it cost, and worst comes to worst not get it if the mechanical issues are overwhelming or bound to happen. Better to spend on the PPI than on thousand dollar parts in a few hundred miles.

Originally Posted by Scott Simoncic
It was CPO from the first to second owner, which is nice, however, it hasn't seen a lot of service from MB since then, which would be on the carafax, that kind of scares me, so for me I would ask for service records and they better be detailed for that price. I wouldn't pay over market for the car. Also you're going to be the 4th owner, which is a hard sell later on. At 100k it's going to need some service, plugs, tranny service, which I also don't see on the carfax being done by MB, so if it hasn't seen a tranny service (with records to back it up) I would be really hesitant, especially on an AMG... At least one of the owners has driven the car like an AMG and without a tranny service at about 50-70K I would be worried about the trans. You have a lot of wiggle room with this car and I wouldn't be paying top dollar. Also, it should have had rotors by this point, as well as motor mounts.
Yeah, I appreciate you guys helping point out the things that I clearly didn't see or take into considerations.

I was a bit concerned about the 100k miles part, but if taken care well hopefully, it shouldn't be much of an issue. I will definitely take this advice and suggestions down before I schedule a test drive.

Wish I had someone with mechanical experience around Socal that would join me to check out this car.

Worst that could happen if it has too many problems is just keep my w203 until another clk55 pops up. Only thing is, there is not a lot of them around.
Old 12-09-2014, 02:29 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts
2005 CLK320 Vert & 2005 CLK55 AMG
Hey what's up man, just got your text, but thought i would reply here. I asked this same question when i was looking for mine. Here is the post:

https://mbworld.org/forums/clk55-amg...ions-info.html

some good info in there.

The only thing i would suggest is to get a PPI. Since that dealership is in Sherman Oaks there is a shop pretty close called Motorik Concierge that can do it for you.
Old 12-09-2014, 02:32 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts
2005 CLK320 Vert & 2005 CLK55 AMG
Just an fyi, If i was to do it again, i would probably pickup a 63 instead...
Old 12-09-2014, 02:42 AM

2005 Granite Gray C55
Originally Posted by ROLLNNN
Hey what's up man, just got your text, but thought i would reply here. I asked this same question when i was looking for mine. Here is the post:

https://mbworld.org/forums/clk55-amg...ions-info.html

some good info in there.

The only thing i would suggest is to get a PPI. Since that dealership is in Sherman Oaks there is a shop pretty close called Motorik Concierge that can do it for you.
Perfect! Thanks for the help Rollnnn
Old 12-10-2014, 09:52 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
2003 CLK55
PPI is a must!
Have you looked into an aftermarket warranty?

I'm currently shopping Autotrader for a used 2009 ML63.
The PPI told me a lot of stuff that the used car dealer didn't.
It cost me $270 at an MB dealership, but well worth it.
Old 12-10-2014, 03:30 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
2015.5 Volvo V60 Polestar
If the body is clean and it passes PPI. I would go for it. With only 247 imported, not many going to be local. I flew to Oklahoma City for mine.

You could wait and buy mine(only 36k Miles) in the spring.

Stick with the 05 though,

New navi, updated interior, HK speakers, bigger brakes, updated suspension, 18" wheels, Diff cooler, exhaust, etc...

More details...
https://mbworld.org/forums/clk55-amg...ugh-years.html

Last edited by Nachtsturm; 12-10-2014 at 03:36 PM.
Old 12-10-2014, 03:35 PM

2005 Granite Gray C55
Originally Posted by Nachtsturm
If the body is clean and it passes PPI. I would go for it. With only 247 imported, not many going to be local. I flew to Oklahoma City for mine.

You could wait and buy mine(only 36k Miles) in the spring.
Wow, I knew they didn't import a lot of those but 247?
Haha I could possibly wait depending on the price
Old 12-10-2014, 10:33 PM

05 CLK55 ///AMG
I had to buy with more miles than I wanted but in the end got what I wanted. I wanted 05, black, in CA, good PPI and all service records. Got what I wanted plus forgestars and KW coilovers but had to buy with alot of miles. I would wait for Nachtsturm's!

I would now look at the CLK63 cab but I suppose that is because I already own a coupe. I was adamant about getting an 05 coupe before owning it. So, when it became available I jumped on it. I really still enjoy the car.

Last edited by DiceCedes; 12-10-2014 at 10:39 PM.
Old 12-11-2014, 01:25 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2001 CLK55 AMG
I definitely wouldn't let the limited number production thing get ya... First, you can do a bumper swap and do duals if you want down the line. Second, the car isn't desirable enough for it to really be worth any collector value down the line, plus, the mileage will kill that.. I've hear the H/K system, it's not leaps and bounds above the bose... Neither will please if you're used to high end systems... It's not like stepping into a new Range Rover, that's a hell of a system. Ya, it's got some facelift items, but the mileage and lack of records would keep me away.
Old 12-14-2014, 03:30 PM

2005 Granite Gray C55
Originally Posted by DiceCedes
I had to buy with more miles than I wanted but in the end got what I wanted. I wanted 05, black, in CA, good PPI and all service records. Got what I wanted plus forgestars and KW coilovers but had to buy with alot of miles. I would wait for Nachtsturm's!

I would now look at the CLK63 cab but I suppose that is because I already own a coupe. I was adamant about getting an 05 coupe before owning it. So, when it became available I jumped on it. I really still enjoy the car.
I would love to wait for Nachtsturm's but even after selling my w203 if I do, I'd still only have the half amount for his car lol. His clk55 seems immaculate, clean mods, low miles

It hurts to think about having to pass it up haha
Thanks for the great offer though Nachtsturm's, really hope you get your next AMG and that the CLK55 finds a good home

Originally Posted by Scott Simoncic
I definitely wouldn't let the limited number production thing get ya... First, you can do a bumper swap and do duals if you want down the line. Second, the car isn't desirable enough for it to really be worth any collector value down the line, plus, the mileage will kill that.. I've hear the H/K system, it's not leaps and bounds above the bose... Neither will please if you're used to high end systems... It's not like stepping into a new Range Rover, that's a hell of a system. Ya, it's got some facelift items, but the mileage and lack of records would keep me away.
Yeah, the thought of it being in limited numbers got me. About the only reason why I was soon keen into getting an 05 model lol

The miles on the clk55 will only go up as as I just sit here idling away AMGless haha , but I'm not too worried about audio systems, they've always been my last priority. I'm just perfectly fine with the stock audio system.

Yeah, I can understand the high mileage and lack of records, if I do decide to stop by the shop to check it out. I'll keep all the information and suggestions I've got here to back me up
Old 12-16-2014, 11:57 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2015.5 Volvo V60 Polestar
Originally Posted by MrVu
I would love to wait for Nachtsturm's but even after selling my w203 if I do, I'd still only have the half amount for his car lol. His clk55 seems immaculate, clean mods, low miles

It hurts to think about having to pass it up haha
Thanks for the great offer though Nachtsturm's, really hope you get your next AMG and that the CLK55 finds a good home
Thanks. It has been stored every winter, will have a hard time parting with this one. Almost turned the CLK55 into my daily driver this year. I sold my daily, drove the CLK for two weeks of nice weather. Then first report of snow fall, I bought another car as a daily and the CLK55 went back into storage.

I like both the CLA45 and C63 Coupe. If I know me, I will end up selling for a C63 coupe, and it will be become the next garage queen.

Good luck on your search. I still say you buy mine. That way I can follow it on here.