CLK55 AMG, CLK63 AMG (W208, W209) 2000 - 2010 (Two Generations)

Ultimate Performance and Design 3000 stall converter

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-20-2014, 01:41 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
'00 Mercedes 430/55 clk cabriolet
Ultimate Performance and Design 3000 stall converter

Hi Guys! I haven't posted on here for a while but I wanted to tell you about my latest installation...

I approached UPD after reading up on their product which is a brand new (no core return) custom installation for the CLK55, C55 and C32, basically the NA AMG models. They look at your torque and power output then match it with the correct stall converter. The one fitted to my car is a new product they have tried and tested.

I spoke with Brooke via email, great Guy. He didn't try to sell me the product, just gave me information about what to expect and pointed me to posts about what others received and their testimonies. I sat on the fence for a while before doing more investigating then pulled the plug. I couldn't find any information on the UK Forum sites about stall converters, my reading came from the web and the US Forum MBWorld. I'm sticking my hand up claiming to be the 1st in the UK to do such a mod, I know from confirmation that UPD haven't sold any units here!.. There's plenty of information out there about UPD and their products so I won't delve in to that.

The same day I ordered and paid (via PayPal) I received a confirmation and tracking number for shipping! I was given priority shipping and within 3 weeks I had it in my hands.

The converter arrived well packaged weighing 25lbs, it seemed heavy to me but it is around 10lbs lighter than stock and 1.5in smaller (big difference all around).

My local indie fitted it for me together with a full transmission oil change in 3 hrs (so don't let anyone tell you it's 6hrs as I've read), it would have been quicker but my custom exhaust had to be removed.

Brooke from UPD mentioned that there isn't a break in period or special way to drive, just install, top up oil if necessary then drive. By the way my Indie commented on what a quality part it was, how everything lined up perfectly and that it all went back together quicker and easier than taking it apart!

A quick drive around the block to heat up the oil for measuring and drivability check showed that on part throttle my car now threw me back more violently, just on half throttle! The car squirming down the road with the traction light blinking, I liked the feeling it gave.

Once topped up the 25 mile drive home was uneventful. I knew that the converter would spin up to 3000 revs quite readily for low speed overtakes and rocket starts from standstill. What I didn't suspect was how natural and pleasurable the drive would be. Pulling away my car feels like it uses a little more revs, but it feels quite smooth, even gear changes are uneventfully smooth. It's only when you plant your foot down that the cars character changes from a sleek long distance runner to that of a muscle bound sprinter!

I thought I lost some torque in the mid and higher rev range as I didn't get that 'lean back' feeling as I accelerated above 3000 rpm. I slowed down so the revs dropped to 2000 rpm put my foot down and saw the rev counter instantly jump to 3000 and the car gave me that torque laden feeling, but only more so!

I haven't driven my car enough to get a full understanding of how it's changed and how to drive it now, but I am impressed with the short drive, even more so when I stepped out on to my driveway and realised that my stomach had been given an involuntary workout, I had been tensing without even knowing it!!

As I learn more I'll post up, but I've already told a mate of mine with a converted C43/55 to get one!..

Last edited by Pauljay; 12-20-2014 at 02:03 PM.
Old 12-20-2014, 01:51 PM

I wasn't able to post pictures earlier!..
Attached Thumbnails Ultimate Performance and Design 3000 stall converter-dsc_0002.jpg   Ultimate Performance and Design 3000 stall converter-dsc_0003.jpg  
Old 12-20-2014, 01:53 PM

More pics so you can see the difference!...
Attached Thumbnails Ultimate Performance and Design 3000 stall converter-dsc_0005.jpg   Ultimate Performance and Design 3000 stall converter-dsc_0007.jpg   Ultimate Performance and Design 3000 stall converter-dsc_0008.jpg  
Old 12-20-2014, 02:12 PM

A Few Specs,

3000 stall RPM
10 lbs lighter than stock (less rotating mass for engine to turn)
HD Torrington bearings to reduce drag
3 HD Raybestos locking clutches VS the weak 2 clutches
HD internals parts
Old 03-25-2015, 09:08 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts
CLK Cabrio
Hey, I know this is a little old. But what a great add on. Are you still running the stock 430 gear?

I have the 55 with the 430 drive train. Also If you dont mind what did you pay for this?
Thanks
Old 03-26-2015, 07:12 AM

Hi sick430,

I'm still running the 430 transmission although years ago I did the blue solenoid conversion for faster gear changes (you can search my posts for it).

This is absolutely a great mod and it changes the cars driveability for the better. I'm currently saving for an LSD as I feel my car would lay down the power better and I can make the most of 1-2 gears accelleration instead of managing wheel spin!

As for price I did it when there was an offer of $850.
Old 03-26-2015, 04:42 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts
CLK Cabrio
thanks for the info, I will definitely look into this.
Old 03-27-2015, 04:27 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 98 Likes on 88 Posts
2002 CLK 55 AMG cabriolet Eurocharged
It is normal for a high performance stall converter to be smaller in diameter.

How did the computer lock up respond to the mod and how worse is the economy?

Are you shifting more in the road course driving. I am interested just have a few hunch questions.
thanks for sharing this with us by the way,

Cheers, Gator
Old 04-01-2015, 09:12 PM
PLATINUM SPONSOR

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts
2003 CL55
Great write up!

E63 Biturbo, UPD Cold Air induction kit, UPD performance crank pulley and UPD adjustable rear suspension with ride height adjustment.

CL55 UPD Cold Air Boost kit, UPD 3000 stall converter, UPD 77mm SC clutched pulley and beltwrap kit, Custom long tubes, UPD crank pulley , UPD suspension kit, UPD SC pulley, Aux. HE, Trunk tank w/rule 2000 pump, Mezeire pump, UPD 5pc idler set, Aluminum rotor hats.

www.ultimatepd.com
instagram @ultimate_pd
facebook.com/ultimatepd
Old 04-01-2015, 09:39 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 377 Likes on 342 Posts
00 C200 & 00 C55 & 06 SLK55
Big VOTE to Brook/Shardul UPD converter's, great product..

ZAYED,,
Old 04-02-2015, 06:37 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
2001 E430
Originally Posted by GatorMB
It is normal for a high performance stall converter to be smaller in diameter.
Yes
Old 04-08-2015, 04:46 AM

Hi GatorMB,

Sorry, been away from the forum a while!

The lock-up is noticeable on a light throttle, but I don't mind as I view vibrations and noises as my car talking to me.

I haven't really noticed my fuel consumption drop as I do a lot of highway driving and so I'm around the 3000rpm when cruising.

This converter is excellent when overtaking as my car is eager to drop a gear and when shifting up, the revs remain in the power band.

When town driving, the revs remain stable around 2000rpm. It sounds a bit dull as the sound doesn't change much. But applying a bit more throttle so my cams come in my car is up on her toes and sounds great. The shifts are really smooth and sometimes it is hard to tell when the car changes gear even though I have a performance exhaust.

Hope that helps!