CLK55 AMG, CLK63 AMG (W208, W209) 2000 - 2010 (Two Generations)

SC

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-18-2015, 01:47 AM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
w215 - CL55 w/stage III
Exclamation SC

anyone ever install a Kompressor SC off an SL55 on a CLK55?? any issues this might cause that I should know about? Thx
Old 01-18-2015, 03:19 AM
tw2
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 280 Likes on 231 Posts
2005 E55 AMG, 1991 MR2
Yes they have. It was an E55 but should be identical units. You need most of the front of the engine, water pump, pulleys, belts etc as well as throttle body, cooling, basically you need the long block minus the shortblock if you know what I mean.

Then you need to address the fuel system and ecu which I can't remember the details of. Here is the link when someone asked in regards to their W208 but it won't make any difference to answer your question. https://mbworld.org/forums/clk55-amg...208-clk55.html

In the end it becomes quite a bit easier to buy a kleemann kit unless you are quite technically minded and like to sort through all these issues one by one. And I am not pretending that I like the way kleemann went about the tuning and fueling but they needed something simple and affordable.
Old 01-19-2015, 10:21 AM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Currently: 2019 E450 AWD, Previous: 2002 CLK55 Cab
Excuse the probably ignorant question but why not transplant the entire engine of the sl into the Clk, i.e. from the top of the SC down to the bottom of the oil sump, the entire engine wire harness ecu, everything. This should avoid any compatibility issues and make for less *** pain in the install.
Old 01-19-2015, 02:00 PM
tw2
MBWorld Fanatic!

2005 E55 AMG, 1991 MR2
This used to be true with cars. If it bolts in you are most of the way there. Unfortunately there are other hurdles to get through. From what I understand, everything is quite intimately linked through the canbus. Every single thing needs to be transplanted and/or coded for to have it work. This means that every transmission ratio needs to be the same, the car needs to be told it no longer has ABC suspension, you probably need to transplant the entire traction control system to have it work, the differential and ratios need swapping.

The engine swap + ecu has been done before but the electronic gremlins and other incompatibility issues were never fully ironed out. You can imagine how many hundreds of hours it took to get to that point.

Every now and again I consider supercharging the CLK but it always comes back to the same thing- its not worth it. Hence saving for an E63.
Old 01-19-2015, 10:26 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
w215 - CL55 w/stage III
Originally Posted by tw2
This used to be true with cars. If it bolts in you are most of the way there. Unfortunately there are other hurdles to get through. From what I understand, everything is quite intimately linked through the canbus. Every single thing needs to be transplanted and/or coded for to have it work. This means that every transmission ratio needs to be the same, the car needs to be told it no longer has ABC suspension, you probably need to transplant the entire traction control system to have it work, the differential and ratios need swapping.

The engine swap + ecu has been done before but the electronic gremlins and other incompatibility issues were never fully ironed out. You can imagine how many hundreds of hours it took to get to that point.

Every now and again I consider supercharging the CLK but it always comes back to the same thing- its not worth it. Hence saving for an E63.
I think I'm with you - even going the kleeman way is gonna run at least 10-12k just to get 140hp and bumping total HP to 530 ... in case like you stated might be better to go with a tuned E55 or E63
Old 01-19-2015, 11:05 PM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Currently: 2019 E450 AWD, Previous: 2002 CLK55 Cab
Originally Posted by mguerrero
I think I'm with you - even going the kleeman way is gonna run at least 10-12k just to get 140hp and bumping total HP to 530 ... in case like you stated might be better to go with a tuned E55 or E63
I agree, I have done two engine swaps before, one a diesel 4x4 and the other a ricer. Both were much less complicated because than this for this very issue. Previous efforts were all about fit and the ability to transfer parts, alternators, etc from old to new and getting the gauges wired correctly to read engine functions, nothing like the complex electronic issues an engine swap on a modern MBZ engine present.
Old 01-20-2015, 12:53 AM
tw2
MBWorld Fanatic!

2005 E55 AMG, 1991 MR2
Modding is fun but at the end of the day these sorts of intensive projects are never the best way to go faster. Buying a faster car often ends up being cheaper in the long run, infinitely easier and you often get a newer car with lower miles in the process.

I loved modding my celica gt4 several years ago, nothing was untouched, I even made my own turbo kit and wired an aftermarket ecu in but it was still a crusty old celica at the end of the day. The reliability problems, sorting through issues, waiting for parts, it pretty much never got driven.

The kleemann kit probably won't quite get you to the level of a stock E55. An E55 with a pulley, tune and heat exchanger, not a chance of the CLK keeping up. The old twinscrew autorotor units in the kleemann kits were probably a better buy but $10k for a crappy eaton roots and some pretty average fuel management...