CLK55 AMG, CLK63 AMG (W208, W209) 2000 - 2010 (Two Generations)

w208 clk55 as a daily driver?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-12-2015, 10:50 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2001 CLK55 AMG
Be careful with the lowering. My 55 is on H&R's lowered about an inch and a half and rides pretty rough compared to the stock suspension. Then again I live in Chicago lol.

Definitely go with 55 though and make sure it is in good condition. Parts are not easy to find.

Best of luck
Old 03-24-2015, 07:23 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts
AMG
I vote for the 55!
Old 03-25-2015, 02:05 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2001 CLK55 AMG
Well... I started with a 430, now I have a 55... Both W208's.... Both Daily's, both great, hope that answers the question.
Old 03-27-2015, 04:05 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 98 Likes on 88 Posts
2002 CLK 55 AMG cabriolet Eurocharged
I vote for the 55 like chappy,

For a DD it is a harsh but fulfilling commute my average is 70 miles per day on a 4 day week. I find city commute is more economical than highway. It depends on rush hour I suppose.

The car will give economical stance for a v8 and still leave a parking lot full of ricers + others at the red light. 0-60 is hard to beat.

I would not hesitate to buy a 430 if shopping as the modifications are numerous and the car has full potential to race. there are some sick 430s out there.!!!

Autocross on occasion and have no issues with the car as a full SCCA class B competition road course car. My Autocross times are within the sanctions.

Cheers
Old 04-01-2015, 11:26 AM

2001 CLK55 AMG
Again mine is a DD and I have a little commute, it's still decently economical and fine. and yes, you will leave quite a few people puzzled in your dust. Yesterday (I'm not condoning racing) but I got into it with a C6 'Vette on the freeway (open and nobody around) and pulled with him until I tapped out due to not wanting to go to jail. I was on the lower right side of my speedo and had already had my fun. We did about 4 pulls from around 60, he didn't want to accept an older Mercedes was pulling hard with his C6. These cars are just beasts on the open highway.

430's are fantastic cars as well... You're not going to spend quite as much on consumables as you would the 55, but you still get a very quick, good looking, and reliable car for daily use. You are going to always have the "I want's" towards the 55... That's the biggest downside of the 430. I'd buy either, you can get a lot of 430 out there for not a lot of money.

Originally Posted by GatorMB
I vote for the 55 like chappy,

For a DD it is a harsh but fulfilling commute my average is 70 miles per day on a 4 day week. I find city commute is more economical than highway. It depends on rush hour I suppose.

The car will give economical stance for a v8 and still leave a parking lot full of ricers + others at the red light. 0-60 is hard to beat.

I would not hesitate to buy a 430 if shopping as the modifications are numerous and the car has full potential to race. there are some sick 430s out there.!!!

Autocross on occasion and have no issues with the car as a full SCCA class B competition road course car. My Autocross times are within the sanctions.

Cheers

Last edited by Scott Simoncic; 04-01-2015 at 11:32 AM.
Old 04-01-2015, 07:45 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 98 Likes on 88 Posts
2002 CLK 55 AMG cabriolet Eurocharged
I have enlightened a few Bow Tie fans about the star but never had a Blue Blood to contend with.

The Mustang is a Monster and numerous. I like to boast this car CLK 55, but as it ages there will always be someone faster. The Hellcat, Z28, Shelby, CTSV have a special place almost supercar but the CLK 55 is closest to exotic when considering it is 13+ years old
Old 04-01-2015, 08:00 PM

2001 CLK55 AMG
It's superstreet car madness right now in the manufacture world... Horsepower is on the rise like crazy!!! The Hellcat is just insane.... I'm a big Mustang fan, my buddy has a 2010 5.0 and I'm pushing him all the time to line up with my car. He's got roush exhaust and a CAI, that's about it mod wise outside of appearance mods. I'm strongly confident in the CLK55, they run some hard numbers, and I strongly believe they were underrated from the factory, 430's too.. My friends and I have a running joke about "German Horsepower" and how it's different than American Horsepower... My mom (yes, my mom) has a 2010 2SS RS 6-Speed LS-3 Camaro, I used to be impressed by it, but I strongly believe the AMG would put up a strong fight, and if you look up the numbers from the factory, 0-60 and 1/4 mile stock for stock are very close.

Originally Posted by GatorMB
I have enlightened a few Bow Tie fans about the star but never had a Blue Blood to contend with.

The Mustang is a Monster and numerous. I like to boast this car CLK 55, but as it ages there will always be someone faster. The Hellcat, Z28, Shelby, CTSV have a special place almost supercar but the CLK 55 is closest to exotic when considering it is 13+ years old