CLK55 AMG, CLK63 AMG (W208, W209) 2000 - 2010 (Two Generations)

Cabriolet Top Won't Close/Trunk wont open

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-07-2015, 06:41 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2002 CLK55 AMG
Cabriolet Top Won't Close/Trunk wont open

Hello,

A few weeks ago I finally got my first amg. 2002 CLK55 Cabriolet. Beautiful car, but at my budget comes with some known issues. One being the soft top did not work automatically, only manually. This weekend I had the top down, but when I went to close it the headrests will not move down to latch the back, leaving that slight gap. Since that is not closed all the way, the trunk wont open. I have tried everything, but I can't open the trunk to work on the hydraulics that close the top. Suggestions? SOL?

Only thing I saw online that I have not tried was someone who broke a taillight to get into the trunk...do not wanna do that if possible.

Any help is greatly appreciated
Old 04-07-2015, 10:12 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
CLK63, CLK550, SL500 Silver Arrow,Corvette LT1,ZR1
On the newer 209 Cabs there is a release on the inner side of the headrests that lets them go down. I'm not familiar with the 2002, but it makes sense to me there should be something similar. If you look down on the inner side, (where they face one another) you should be able to insert the tool that you use to manually lower the top and push down on the release. Maybe that will allow you to open the trunk. Good luck.