CLK55 AMG, CLK63 AMG (W208, W209) 2000 - 2010 (Two Generations)

HID Headlights suddently different colors

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-09-2015, 01:52 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
05 C230K SS (sold), 06 C55 (sold), 08 Yamaha R1 (sold), 16 X5M
HID Headlights suddently different colors

so I had a set of Morimoto XB35 5k for the last 6 months and my driver side suddenly looks more yellow than my passenger side. I bought new bulbs and the same thing happened immediately. Put in some Philipps Ultinons and again the same thing. So I figured it was the ballast. So bought a new one and just installed on driver side and still nothing changed. I swapped the ballast back and forth and the problem stayed on the driver side.

Any thoughts?

Everything is OEM except the bulbs.
Old 06-11-2015, 10:24 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 281 Likes on 189 Posts
CLK55 W209, CL63 W216
Changes in color are usually the bulb going out. Flickering, not turning on are the ballast. In your case I would start looking at the wiring. It sounds like it's not getting the right amount of juice or something's up with the wires. Just check and compare with the other side.
Old 06-11-2015, 04:23 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
05 C230K SS (sold), 06 C55 (sold), 08 Yamaha R1 (sold), 16 X5M
Ya will Do that's why I was thinking the ignitors etc. I'll take a look at the wiring but outside burnt parts I'm not sure what to look for. I mean most the wiring is internal. Unless maybe the main connector could use some cleaning or something. But I don't know how that would all the sudden go bad or whatever since I have never removed the lights etc.
Old 06-12-2015, 10:26 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 281 Likes on 189 Posts
CLK55 W209, CL63 W216
Originally Posted by maverik259
Ya will Do that's why I was thinking the ignitors etc. I'll take a look at the wiring but outside burnt parts I'm not sure what to look for. I mean most the wiring is internal. Unless maybe the main connector could use some cleaning or something. But I don't know how that would all the sudden go bad or whatever since I have never removed the lights etc.
Yeah I Googled a little bit and it seems other people have had the same issue. Went away after the dealer replaced the headlight assembly. If you have a multimeter you can start checking the wires by comparing with the other side (resistance, conductivity etc). You already swapped out the ballast and bulbs so I would start looking at the headlight assembly...maybe plugging it in on the other side, see if the issue stays with the headlight assembly.