CLK55 AMG, CLK63 AMG (W208, W209) 2000 - 2010 (Two Generations)

Un-rechargeable battery & cant open trunk

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-05-2016, 07:21 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
01 clk55 cpe
Un-rechargeable battery & cant open trunk

Hi Y'all,

I got me a dilemma. I do hope some bright minds can chip in!!

I did not drive the car for a while.
Battery died.
I connected a battery charger to the +ve terminal in the engine bay on the driver's side to see if I can give the car enough juice so I could open the trunk from inside using the trunk toggle switch.

After connecting the battery charger, there was some light on the dashboard.
I tried the trunk switch but nothing happened.
The battery charger indicated that there must be a bad cell in the battery and it cannot take the charge.

I tried to use the metal key to open trunk, but cannot. I checked the manual and tried clockwise & anticlockwise, pushing in the switch as I tried. No go.
The key works in the driver's door since I can turn it to lock/unlock the safety lock.

I called some of the auto locksmith's but they don't seem like they know how to approach this issue.

Can anyone chime in on this?

Much thanks!
Old 01-06-2016, 04:23 AM

Received 37 Likes on 36 Posts
2004 CLK55 AMG W209
Usually the metal key should open the boot lid. Or even the driver side door. You can then get in through the boot if u can open it. Maybe your car has the door locks under the stereo in the boot section. They two levers you can pull to open the seats at the rear and push them down inward. If you get in hopefully, then change the battery. It aint great looking as if you breaking into your own car.

The door will usually only open if it detects the transponder from the key fob so make sure its close to the handle whilst you try to open it with the metal key.
Old 02-07-2016, 01:32 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 98 Likes on 88 Posts
2002 CLK 55 AMG cabriolet Eurocharged
I had this delima right after purchase.

I used a spray penatrant on the lock and let it sit over night trying again the next day.
Viola the key lock worked and I was able to access the trunk for battery service.
The 2002 has a e-switch in the trunk but only works with a good battery or 12v source.
Coupes are easier than cabs. For cabs the subwoofer must be removed or broken out. The coupes have access once the rear seats are removed.

Cheers, Gator
Old 03-07-2016, 12:28 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2001 CLK 55 AMG
Don't latch that seat

For whatever it's worth, I only latch one of the rear split seats so I can get into the trunk when the key doesn't work. For example, I once locked my key in the trunk hundreds of miles from the spare key. Mercedes customer service said I'd have to tow it to a dealer because the car is nearly impossible to break in to. Well, AAA jimmied the front door lever open with a coat hanger device (5 seconds) and I just crawled thought the split seat to grab the key. If the rear seats were latched, it would have meant a long trip to the stealership.

(But when you have something really valuable in the trunk, remember to latch the seats for the same reason. Ha.)
The following users liked this post:
GatorMB (03-10-2016)