CLK55 AMG, CLK63 AMG (W208, W209) 2000 - 2010 (Two Generations)

Anyone here have any experience with a Eurocharged ECU flash?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-12-2017, 10:21 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 98 Likes on 88 Posts
2002 CLK 55 AMG cabriolet Eurocharged
Yes one needs the primary O2 in a stock bung to get a strong input to the ECU.

In my case I did the headers and exhaust mods prior to tuning. The o2 bung extensions were installed to enable the car to be streetable. Once I had it tuned Power flowed from the clouds and the rear wheels.
I had my drivers downpipe modified for wideband and installed proper bungs.

The TCU tune has opened the power up even more and my only culprit is the passenger bung extension which fakes the o2 lean. Once one gets the combination proper the benefits are worth the expense.

After my retrofit is complete I am going to a higher volume injector with pumps and a nice un butchered true dual exhaust. so easy does it.
The EC folks seem to have answers for almost any application.

Next time I will ask Jerry about my triple turbo nitrous supercharged space shuttle engine. LOL
He will likely try!!

Cheers Gator
Old 02-13-2017, 02:47 PM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
2005 C55 AMG
My o2 sensor concern is with the secondaries I am leaving the primaries as they are.
Old 02-13-2017, 03:21 PM
tw2
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 280 Likes on 231 Posts
2005 E55 AMG, 1991 MR2
I don't think there is an issue with the removing the secondary cats. It has been a while since I crawled under the car but I thought the O2 sensors were either side of the primaries.
Old 02-13-2017, 06:45 PM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
2005 C55 AMG
I think you are right. The diagram I have shows the bungs right on each side of the primary. I probably should just go look. LOL
I went and looked the bungs are before and right after the primary. Secondary cat is going to be gone. : )

Last edited by gofisch; 02-13-2017 at 06:52 PM.
Old 02-14-2017, 12:17 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

The secondaries remain tied up in the frame. The new tune will ignore them and run off of the primaries.
An occasional CEL comes but goes away until it acknowledges the ignore command in the new code.
Old 05-04-2017, 08:51 PM

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts
Firemist O5 CLK55 Cab Silver 05 CLK55 Coupe Tanzanite 06 CLK500 Coupe
Tuned a CLK320, Eurochcarged is Great!

I have been running a TCU tune for years on my CLK55 and full manual mode is great and unless the weather is a factor I rarely drive anything but S mode which used to be a bit harsh.

I recently picked up a beautiful CLK320 for rehabilitation and thought maybe Eurocharged could do one so I contacted Phillip who agreed to give it a go. I needed the car for daily transport so I tried some other TCU's with the correct part #'s-but they were not. The process dragged on for months and sadly when it was said and done full manual mode was not available and we gave up on the project.

Being standup professionals EuroCharged was happy to let me go for their recently released 3.2 litre ECU tune instead and I have to say I believe the claim of a 10 hp gain. The little six really zooms now and if you are driving one of these you really owe it to yourself to get a flash cable and in literally a matter of minutes you will feel the difference!

Thanks EuroCharged, keep up developments!
The following users liked this post:
sales@eurocharged.com (05-08-2017)
Old 05-05-2017, 10:26 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2005 CLK55
I'm planning on stopping by Eurocharged here in Houston today after lunch, to discuss options for our CLK55.

Read somewhere that Kleeman headers may have quality issues. Anyone have input on these?
Old 05-05-2017, 07:31 PM
tw2
MBWorld Fanatic!

2005 E55 AMG, 1991 MR2
Originally Posted by Nurburgringer
I'm planning on stopping by Eurocharged here in Houston today after lunch, to discuss options for our CLK55.

Read somewhere that Kleeman headers may have quality issues. Anyone have input on these?
I liked the eurocharged tune I got on the CLK55. Just have to know what to expect, ie very minimal HP gains up top but very decent mid range torque increases. I haven't had kleemanns but I have seen one manufacturing mistake where a flange was slightly warped and they fixed it straight away. I have seen some ok merge collectors and some not so good ones but for the price I wouldn't hesitate to get them. I understand their customer service is excellent too.
Old 05-09-2017, 10:00 AM

Just tuned a CLK55>>>>>>>>>>WOWIE ZOWIE!

I told Phillip a warning message should be included with the flash cable.

The low end torque bump is dramatic and I can chirp my grippy Nokians right off the line. Too heavy a foot and the back is coming around.

If there is any downside here it could be the car is too damn Snarly for an average driver.......
Old 05-09-2017, 02:50 PM

2005 CLK55
Wave - do you also have the TCU tune?
Comfort mode still starts out in 2nd AFAIK even with the TCU, and from my conversations with EC the stock torque limiters, shifts points etc remain unless you go to sport or manual mode.
Do you have any other mods like headers or exhaust?
Dyno curves?

Thanks!
Old 05-09-2017, 02:53 PM

2005 CLK55
Thanks for the input TW2.
If you also have the TCU tune, how do you like it?
Old 05-09-2017, 03:59 PM
tw2
MBWorld Fanatic!

2005 E55 AMG, 1991 MR2
Thanks for the input TW2.
If you also have the TCU tune, how do you like it?
No I read too many issues with them and decided it probably wouldn't be changing things for the better for me. Also living outside the US means it takes much longer to send the TCU in and get it back. They may have fixed some of those problems now.
Old 05-09-2017, 05:52 PM

DAS BEAST has both EuroCharged ECU and TCU

Other than some freer flowing air filters the car is boner stock. I have fresh coil packs coming in but no plans to dyno it.
We are talking serious fun per gallon here!
Old 05-09-2017, 11:11 PM

2005 CLK55
Originally Posted by tw2
No I read too many issues with them and decided it probably wouldn't be changing things for the better for me. Also living outside the US means it takes much longer to send the TCU in and get it back. They may have fixed some of those problems now.
tw - I just spent the last 10 minutes searching the forum and couldn't find any negative comments about the EC TCU tune. What have you read?

Quicker shifts in sport or manual mode would be nice IMO, as would rev-matching (have to ask EC if theirs does this) if it's done well. I don't totally understand the whole "torque limiter" thing. Have read in threads about dealers flashing the TCU to limit torque and therefore drivetrain strain on E55s, and it was mentioned by EC'ed also about CLK55s when I visited them, but can't find anything about it?)

So I'm seriously considering the TCU (helps that EC's HQ is 20 minutes away, so if for some reason I hate it can always get it put back to stock easily enough), and appreciate any and all input.

One thing I have not been able to find is any dyno graphs whatsoever for CLK55 before/after tuning, with or without headers. Eurocharged doesn't have any in their system from any of their locations and I can't locate any on the webs.

I know supercharged cars are much more popular to tune, but personally if I'm spending $1000k+ on performance parts my curiosity would compel me to spend a couple hundred more on proof of the performance changes across the rev ranges.
Old 05-10-2017, 05:36 AM
tw2
MBWorld Fanatic!

2005 E55 AMG, 1991 MR2
tw - I just spent the last 10 minutes searching the forum and couldn't find any negative comments about the EC TCU tune. What have you read?
https://mbworld.org/forums/c32-amg-c...une-issue.html
Same transmission. As I said these issues may have been worked out since then but some of it is not what I would call an improvement.
One thing I have not been able to find is any dyno graphs whatsoever for CLK55 before/after tuning, with or without headers. Eurocharged doesn't have any in their system from any of their locations and I can't locate any on the webs.
Page 2 of this thread is pretty compelling as far as dyno curves go. There were a lot of CLK55 dyno's but a lot of the picture files are missing now. The restriction is in the exhaust manifold to downpipe join, it gets down to 1.6" (photo from the forums). You will definitely gain hp, I would guess 20hp for headers alone with mid lengths, maybe 30-40hp with full long tubes 4-1 and the tune will beef up the low to mid range torque. It all comes down to how long you are wanting to keep your car and how much money it is to you. If you want some serious power then you will need a supercharger or a different car.

The following users liked this post:
Nurburgringer (05-10-2017)
Old 05-10-2017, 08:25 AM

2005 CLK55
Originally Posted by tw2
https://mbworld.org/forums/c32-amg-c...une-issue.html
Same transmission. As I said these issues may have been worked out since then but some of it is not what I would call an improvement.
ahh I should have widened my search beyond this forum
thanks!

So, it seems that the TCU tune is supposed to:
1) Raise Trq Limiters (maybe only applicable to supercharged cars?)
2) Faster Shifting (done through code changes, not higher solenoid pressure)
3) Raised RPM Limiter
4) Gears hold when in manual mode (EC clarified in this thread that in Manual mode the tuned TCU will not allow downshifting if it will over-rev the engine: https://mbworld.org/forums/c32-amg-c...h-499-a-5.html)

From my point of view i.e. driving style seems like #2 would be the most worthwhile improvement (leaving Comfort mode stock).

#3 would like to see dyno graph and know stock shift point in Sport mode at WOT to confirm that stock shift point is really too early.

#4 Don't plan on tracking the car or driving it in full-attack mode too often on the street, so holding gears even if bouncing off the redline isn't that important to me.

Thanks again for pointing me to the other threads!
Old 05-10-2017, 08:31 AM

2005 CLK55
Originally Posted by tw2
Page 2 of this thread is pretty compelling as far as dyno curves go. There were a lot of CLK55 dyno's but a lot of the picture files are missing now.
doh
You're correct I had somehow forgotten about post 43 that shows curves before/after tuning, on a 55 with stock exhaust. Quite impressive gains, mostly in the meat of the rev band where you spend the most time.

edit: looking at Johawk's dyno graph further, the torque curve seems way off. Looking at other graphs like this one: http://www.dragtimes.com/2005-Merced...phs-10305.html
or this one (2001 CLK55, but curve shape shouldn't be that different):https://mbworld.org/forums/clk55-amg...ock-clk55.html

As far as I can tell these are stock motors, and the the Torque curves are MUCH flatter than Johawk's.
Johawk's stock torque at 2800rpm is ~175ftlbs, at 3200rpm ~205ftlbs.
On the other curves torque is near, or above 300ft-lbs from 2500rpm and up. Johawk's "tuned" torque curve is closer to the stock ones of the other two.
What's up with that?

I'm not not looking for >400hp/400ft-lbs at the wheels, just to "unlock" more of the engine's potential to enjoy on the street at mostly sane speeds. Also to sharpen/raise the sound level a bit

A third curve on that same graph with headers would be icing on the cake.

Last edited by Nurburgringer; 05-10-2017 at 11:44 AM.
Old 05-25-2017, 10:28 AM

2005 CLK55
Details to follow...
Attached Thumbnails Anyone here have any experience with a Eurocharged ECU flash?-clk55-5500.jpg  
Old 05-27-2017, 12:10 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

If you keep tweaking and add headers with other exhaust mods. 400 HP is easily surpassed.

The E55 is a much heavier car and some with supercharger. The fore-mentioned chassis flaws were the rear sub-frame mounting bolts ripping from the chassis. If I had a tuned E55 it would be on my inspection list during service interval.

If caught early some support braces like frame ties could be added.

Never read about any tuned CLK having this issue but there is always a first.

Gator