CLK55 AMG, CLK63 AMG (W208, W209) 2000 - 2010 (Two Generations)

W209 clk55 ecu problems

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-14-2016, 04:41 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2003 clk 55
W209 clk55 ecu problems

Well guys I own a 2003 clk55 that had a check engine light for the charcoal canister I had that and the purge valve replaced at $660. My mechanic called and said the wires coming from the car going to the charcoal canister looked damaged and had grounded possibly damaging my ecu, he recommended I take it to the dealer to make sure. Sure enough the dealer confirms the ecu is not communicating with the charcoal canister and charged me $200. $1600 for a new ecu at the dealer plus programming. They gave me a part number but when I called to confirm I was ordering the right part they informed me the used ecu might not be able to be programmed to my car. I have zero knowledge on how these Ecu's work if anybody could give me a hand it would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited by cobrab19; 04-14-2016 at 04:46 PM. Reason: Adding word
Old 04-15-2016, 12:00 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 98 Likes on 88 Posts
2002 CLK 55 AMG cabriolet Eurocharged
The Purge valve opens at cruise speeds to vent the fuel tank of vapors. A faulty gas cap can cause all of the inherent problems described above.

If the only problem is the purge circuit and all other engine functions are normal consider taking it to a Euro auto electric shop for wiring repairs if you do not do work on it yourself.

Mitsubishi, and some others are noted for Dead ECU after input damage, Not Benz

ECU is the Electronics control unit that contains the main micro-processor. The ECU communicates with all of the other systems that control functions in the car.

Cheers, Gator
Old 04-15-2016, 12:12 PM

2003 clk 55
Originally Posted by GatorMB
The Purge valve opens at cruise speeds to vent the fuel tank of vapors. A faulty gas cap can cause all of the inherent problems described above.

If the only problem is the purge circuit and all other engine functions are normal consider taking it to a Euro auto electric shop for wiring repairs if you do not do work on it yourself.

Mitsubishi, and some others are noted for Dead ECU after input damage, Not Benz

ECU is the Electronics control unit that contains the main micro-processor. The ECU communicates with all of the other systems that control functions in the car.

Cheers, Gator
The dealer told me I need a new Ecu. They said the wiring is fine now.
Just wondering if I can put another ecu in the car, from what I'm reading it won't work unless the ecu is new or they transfer some chip onto the new ecu?
Old 04-15-2016, 06:27 PM
tw2
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 280 Likes on 231 Posts
2005 E55 AMG, 1991 MR2
Some of the electronics (including the ECU) have to be specifically coded for the VIN of the vehicle they are going in. Usually only a dealer will have the ability to do that. You can buy the knock off Chinese equipment (Xentry SDS system) but it's much cheaper to have the dealer do it as a one off. So no unfortunately you cannot put another cars ECU in.
Old 04-15-2016, 06:33 PM

2003 clk 55
Originally Posted by tw2
Some of the electronics (including the ECU) have to be specifically coded for the VIN of the vehicle they are going in. Usually only a dealer will have the ability to do that. You can buy the knock off Chinese equipment (Xentry SDS system) but it's much cheaper to have the dealer do it as a one off. So no unfortunately you cannot put another cars ECU in.
Unfortunately I think your right and coming to that conclusion now. I got the dealer down to 1400 on the ecu. He said he might be able to talk to his manager for a little better discount. Geez this car has been killing me lately.