CLK55 AMG, CLK63 AMG (W208, W209) 2000 - 2010 (Two Generations)

The Story Of My 173,000 mile Brabus W208 CLK55 AMG

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-29-2016, 12:09 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CLK55 AMG
The Story Of My 173,000 mile Brabus W208 CLK55 AMG

Hello MBWorld! This is my first post, but ive been reading these forums for who knows how long lol. Anyways, I want to share my experience with the W208 AMG. I am trying to be as thorough in this maintence list/story as possible, but ive done soooo many crazy things(MMO in the crankcase, fuel, oil, and coolant additives, aggressive toe alignment from "eyeballing it", etc.)

Ive had my CLK 3-4 years(recieved it with about 92,000 on the odometer). Its hands down been the safest, most reliable vehicle ive ever driven. Driving is simply amazing, exhilarating even. Simply put, my cars taken a beating and stills purrs like a kitten(then roars like a tiger)

Here is a list of maintenace at approximate intervals over the 80,000+ miles ive driven (FSS reset at every oil change)

92,000 Oil change(synthetic unless noted), Lower Ball Joints, transmission plug $1300 at local shop(thanks mom )

DIY HENCEFORTH...

103K ENGINE BEGINS KNOCKING/HIGH IDLE~800RPM- CHECK ENGINE LIGHT ON AND REMAINS ON TODAY
(Fuel evap line fault, 7th cylinder misfire)

105K Mann air filter, oil change(drilled hole in oil pan, fitted alt. Oil plug) spark plug change $215(IDLE 550-625RPM)

110K Front Wheel bearings, tie rod centerlink CONVENTIONAL Oil change $120
STEERING WHEEL PLAY HAD BEEN NOTICED STILL UNCURED

Rear headrest roll-bar deploys on sharp left turn at 29~38MPH . Convertible top now inoperable

115K oil change , rear driver sway bar $80
slow oil leak of about 1qt per 1200 miles

123K began running ~91 octane by mixing 1 part 87 octane with 2 parts 93 octane, occasionally an extra gallon or 2 of 87 octane, (saving like .15- .40 a gallon)

Skirts skirts and front bumper begin to fall off around here.....................cosmetic interior pieces as well

130K Mann Air filter, Oil change, spark plug, spark plug wire, coil packs, engine mounts, transmission mount, power steering fluid change $545
KNOCK CURED- IDLE~515RPM

145K Began a job that required over 80 miles per day up to 250miles in a day

148K Oil change, coolant flush, spark plug change due to continuous 7th cylinder misfire leading to knocking from the fouled plugs $225

Side note: Ive used MMO in my crankcase by now. Happy with the result. STP Upper cylinder cleaner works in the tank. Catacleaner cracked something loose in my catalytic converter (maybe dirt, maybe an o2 sensor...idk...)

150K upper radiator hose slips, thermostat showed engine heat going into the danger zone. Engine off coast to gas station. emergency coolant fill $12

152K changed 7th cylinder spark plugs. front brake pads only, brake fuid exchange, tie rods w/ centerlink, steering damper, lower ball joints $175
STEERING PLAY NOT CURED

155K K&N air filters installed

158K Rear driver swaybars 100$

161K rear driver shock. $50

164K oil change cleaned fouled plugs $63
NOTICED MPG GAIN

Then at 173K (5600 miles to Service A) I decided to trail a speeding custom Dodge Magnum w/ flowmasters on my way to work

See results below

Understand, I love my CLK This isnt a question of repair or replace
I cant wait to get back behind the wheel of my baby Im simply not finacially stable at the moment...

I rear ended someone braking from 110+ with the spare rim on the front axle(no injuries or deaths amazingly ). In hindsight, the use of a turn signal , or lack thereof , can be the difference between life and death. Speeding is dangerous, and speeding without signaling is a death wish.

Im happy she still runs and shifts(since my insurance isnt covering my gas happy incident as im not one who can afford Mercedes-Benz AMG class $3500+ per month comprehensive coverage, sadly) I think some love, patience, and ALOT of glue will get me on the road in no time

No estimates yet but here is MY damage list:

Bent front bumper support frame
Upper and lower control arms
Shock absorber
ESP,BAS,ABS module,
Coolant hoses and maybe brake lines
Radiator(LOOKS good as of now though)
Hood
Driver Headlights, fender
Suspension spring looks good
Lower ball joint
Rotor
Wheel bearing
Brake caliper, pads
Front spindle?
Spare rim,tire( the fourth rim had a bald tire, so I keep all four)
MISC bolts, fluids, greases etc..
PRIDE

As for that Dodge Magnum... Next time I see you.... ....im gonna downshift
Okay not REALLY!!!
Attached Thumbnails The Story Of My 173,000 mile Brabus W208 CLK55 AMG-20160426_143344.jpg   The Story Of My 173,000 mile Brabus W208 CLK55 AMG-20160426_142939.jpg  

Last edited by CjW208; 05-02-2016 at 09:33 AM.
Old 04-29-2016, 08:08 PM

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
05 CLK55 AMG (1 of 247) Cubanitsilber designo series
I assume you were charged with reckless driving and lost your license, so you have lots of time to tinker. But repairs will grossly exceed the value of the car. Why bother?
Old 05-02-2016, 08:18 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 190 Likes on 169 Posts
2006 E55, 2012 GLK350 & 1992 190e sportline
I rear ended someone braking from 110+ with the spare rim on the front axle
If you were going 110 on a spare you were endangering your life as well as everyone around you. Screw a blinker that is a recipe for disaster regardless. Do us all a favor, sell your car and walk.
Old 05-02-2016, 08:35 AM

CLK55 AMG
Well I really like it. It was a gift. Im doing 90% the labor so maybe $3500 in repairs max? I think its juuust close enough to not declare it a total loss.

And I could really use practice fixing Mercedes, since im probably going to get another one eventually, and my wife wants a GLK
Old 05-02-2016, 08:45 AM

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
05 CLK55 AMG (1 of 247) Cubanitsilber designo series
I agree with Insame - stay out of cars and learn to walk or take a bus. We'll all be safer!
Old 05-02-2016, 09:27 AM

CLK55 AMG
Originally Posted by insame1
If you were going 110 on a spare you were endangering your life as well as everyone around you. Screw a blinker that is a recipe for disaster regardless. Do us all a favor, sell your car and walk.
Thank you for being so honest.. Would but I only I got offers for about $750...

I don't think a 225/45/17 opposite a 225/40/18 made much performance difference, imo. It was driver error. The blinker comment was because me and the other party never used any signals. He merged , I tried to avoid , he swerved, we collided. Not a simple signal between us. Id slowed away from the other car already, but didnt realize I was going so fast.... I made a serious mistake in judgement

Itd been years since the car actually had any real power output... I hit my brakes and looked down..still at 90... I just braced for impact. The other lanes were clear as crystals when this happened.

I wanted to do a thread on how the AMG's keep on pushing... Even if you run em on "snake oils",extended oil change intervals, stock transmission fluid, cheap gas, 3 wheels, bubblegum and tape...

And I wouldn't be driving this as a daily driver anymore any way gosh..... I cant even afford the gas....
Old 05-02-2016, 02:16 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 190 Likes on 169 Posts
2006 E55, 2012 GLK350 & 1992 190e sportline
First I thought you meant the doughnut and that would really deserve a smack up side the head. At least the tire wasn't rated for under 50mph. That being said there is a difference in over all tire diameter with the setups you mentioned. The tire would be spinning at a different RPM. Also you have to think about unstrung weight, offset,tire compound and condition. All of them factor in to the performance of your car. Even something as little as offset can change the spring rate and the handling of the car. If you want to play you should at very least take some advanced driving lessons. You are lucky to be alive. Take this is an opportunity to make better decisions.

I wanted to do a thread on how the AMG's keep on pushing... Even if you run em on "snake oils",extended oil change intervals, stock transmission fluid, cheap gas, 3 wheels, bubblegum and tape...
This forum is filled with enthusiast that love their cars. If you do create a thread like this get ready for the flaming to start.
The following 2 users liked this post by insame1:
CjW208 (05-02-2016), GatorMB (08-15-2016)
Old 05-02-2016, 07:12 PM

CLK55 AMG
Originally Posted by insame1
First I thought you meant the doughnut and that would really deserve a smack up side the head. At least the tire wasn't rated for under 50mph. That being said there is a difference in over all tire diameter with the setups you mentioned. The tire would be spinning at a different RPM. Also you have to think about unstrung weight, offset,tire compound and condition. All of them factor in to the performance of your car. Even something as little as offset can change the spring rate and the handling of the car. If you want to play you should at very least take some advanced driving lessons. You are lucky to be alive. Take this is an opportunity to make better decisions.

This forum is filled with enthusiast that love their cars. If you do create a thread like this get ready for the flaming to start.
Very true...
Ive tried to stay light hearted about it though. It's no going back. I wish I could have ended on my renewed 27+mpg hwy 24 combined mileage and given a testament to an AMG thats seen fire and brimstone(in the crankcase) and still delivers. Buuuuut now its a reminder to anyone who thought otherwise; owning a sports car doesnt make you a sports car driver.

I learned about , 3 years too late
Old 05-21-2016, 06:50 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2001 CLK 55 AMG, 2008 Yamaha R1 RM
Originally Posted by CjW208
Very true...
Ive tried to stay light hearted about it though. It's no going back. I wish I could have ended on my renewed 27+mpg hwy 24 combined mileage and given a testament to an AMG thats seen fire and brimstone(in the crankcase) and still delivers. Buuuuut now its a reminder to anyone who thought otherwise; owning a sports car doesnt make you a sports car driver.

I learned about , 3 years too late
**** happens..I usually only get on mine out in the middle of nowhere with nothing to hit..The rare times I do get on it! My 55 just hit 221k and still going strong..no leaks or anything. Replaced all the wear and tear stuff for the most part. I saved the car from a moron friend a few years back who was bound to wreck it or blow the motor.
Old 08-14-2016, 10:21 AM

Mercedes Benz CLK 200 - 2000 model
Originally Posted by CjW208
Hello MBWorld! This is my first post, but ive been reading these forums for who knows how long lol. Anyways, I want to share my experience with the W208 AMG. I am trying to be as thorough in this maintence list/story as possible, but ive done soooo many crazy things(MMO in the crankcase, fuel, oil, and coolant additives, aggressive toe alignment from "eyeballing it", etc.)

Ive had my CLK 3-4 years(recieved it with about 92,000 on the odometer). Its hands down been the safest, most reliable vehicle ive ever driven. Driving is simply amazing, exhilarating even. Simply put, my cars taken a beating and stills purrs like a kitten(then roars like a tiger)

Here is a list of maintenace at approximate intervals over the 80,000+ miles ive driven (FSS reset at every oil change)

92,000 Oil change(synthetic unless noted), Lower Ball Joints, transmission plug $1300 at local shop(thanks mom )

DIY HENCEFORTH...

103K ENGINE BEGINS KNOCKING/HIGH IDLE~800RPM- CHECK ENGINE LIGHT ON AND REMAINS ON TODAY
(Fuel evap line fault, 7th cylinder misfire)

105K Mann air filter, oil change(drilled hole in oil pan, fitted alt. Oil plug) spark plug change $215(IDLE 550-625RPM)

110K Front Wheel bearings, tie rod centerlink CONVENTIONAL Oil change $120
STEERING WHEEL PLAY HAD BEEN NOTICED STILL UNCURED

Rear headrest roll-bar deploys on sharp left turn at 29~38MPH . Convertible top now inoperable

115K oil change , rear driver sway bar $80
slow oil leak of about 1qt per 1200 miles

123K began running ~91 octane by mixing 1 part 87 octane with 2 parts 93 octane, occasionally an extra gallon or 2 of 87 octane, (saving like .15- .40 a gallon)

Skirts skirts and front bumper begin to fall off around here.....................cosmetic interior pieces as well

130K Mann Air filter, Oil change, spark plug, spark plug wire, coil packs, engine mounts, transmission mount, power steering fluid change $545
KNOCK CURED- IDLE~515RPM

145K Began a job that required over 80 miles per day up to 250miles in a day

148K Oil change, coolant flush, spark plug change due to continuous 7th cylinder misfire leading to knocking from the fouled plugs $225

Side note: Ive used MMO in my crankcase by now. Happy with the result. STP Upper cylinder cleaner works in the tank. Catacleaner cracked something loose in my catalytic converter (maybe dirt, maybe an o2 sensor...idk...)

150K upper radiator hose slips, thermostat showed engine heat going into the danger zone. Engine off coast to gas station. emergency coolant fill $12

152K changed 7th cylinder spark plugs. front brake pads only, brake fuid exchange, tie rods w/ centerlink, steering damper, lower ball joints $175
STEERING PLAY NOT CURED

155K K&N air filters installed

158K Rear driver swaybars 100$

161K rear driver shock. $50

164K oil change cleaned fouled plugs $63
NOTICED MPG GAIN

Then at 173K (5600 miles to Service A) I decided to trail a speeding custom Dodge Magnum w/ flowmasters on my way to work

See results below

Understand, I love my CLK This isnt a question of repair or replace
I cant wait to get back behind the wheel of my baby Im simply not finacially stable at the moment...

I rear ended someone braking from 110+ with the spare rim on the front axle(no injuries or deaths amazingly ). In hindsight, the use of a turn signal , or lack thereof , can be the difference between life and death. Speeding is dangerous, and speeding without signaling is a death wish.

Im happy she still runs and shifts(since my insurance isnt covering my gas happy incident as im not one who can afford Mercedes-Benz AMG class $3500+ per month comprehensive coverage, sadly) I think some love, patience, and ALOT of glue will get me on the road in no time

No estimates yet but here is MY damage list:

Bent front bumper support frame
Upper and lower control arms
Shock absorber
ESP,BAS,ABS module,
Coolant hoses and maybe brake lines
Radiator(LOOKS good as of now though)
Hood
Driver Headlights, fender
Suspension spring looks good
Lower ball joint
Rotor
Wheel bearing
Brake caliper, pads
Front spindle?
Spare rim,tire( the fourth rim had a bald tire, so I keep all four)
MISC bolts, fluids, greases etc..
PRIDE

As for that Dodge Magnum... Next time I see you.... ....im gonna downshift
Okay not REALLY!!!

Since most of the essential systems are working, get replacement parts like front left fender, lamps, control arms, upper and lower, ball joints etc. Have your brakes relined. Any garage can pull this off. I am sure it will be back on the road, though not completely the same, as you may not be able to restore some of the electronics.
I had ditched my CLK for a 3L V6 Mitsubishi Pajero. But last week, I rammed into the rear of a slowing down truck. Luckily, no serious injuries, but car badly damaged. Had it been the CLK, I was going to avoid that owing to its awesome brakes. So now I'm back to my CLK, tuning it up as it had not moved for months.
Old 08-15-2016, 06:04 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 98 Likes on 88 Posts
2002 CLK 55 AMG cabriolet Eurocharged
Fix it up,
You cant buy a tire shredding Benz for $750.00
If you enjoyed what you had while it was working you have learned to appreciate it since it is broke.
Fixing it yourself will help on expenses used W208 parts are cheap and everywhere right now.
Best to learn defensive driving skills though, A motorcycle is a place to start. (har)

Cheers, Gator

Last edited by GatorMB; 08-15-2016 at 06:10 PM.