CLK55 AMG, CLK63 AMG (W208, W209) 2000 - 2010 (Two Generations)

starting a small project with my 01 clk 55

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-08-2016, 10:26 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2001 CLK 55 AMG.......... 2001 Corvette Z06.........
starting a small project with my 01 clk 55

I have had my 55 for about 5 years now and have decided it is time to start giving the suspension some love.

I want to do a combination of maintenance and improvement at the same time.

-I have already put some billstein springs on it shortly after I purchased it.

-I think I will attack the car 1 section at a time. aka rework the rear suspension then the front.

-I have purchased a set of koni shocks and waiting for them to arrive.

-I plan to purchase H & R sway bars for the rear.

-I plan to purchase front and rear strut tower braces.

There are only 3 things I have not sourced yet and hoping you all can help me with:

-does anyone make subframe braces or subframe connectors or will these need to be fabricated?

-does anyone make a poly bushing kit for this car? If not can you recommend a good OE-style bushing kit?

-does anyone make a poly or solid engine/trans mounts?

additional recommendations are welcome as always.

Thanks in advance!
Old 10-09-2016, 06:05 AM

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts
'14 E500 Coupe
Please do not ruin your car with solid motor and trans mounts. Even the poly bushings on control arms are something you should think carefully... But solid mtr and trns mounts are something that gives constant and ongoing resonations into chasis. Very annoyning.
Old 10-11-2016, 11:33 AM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Received 24 Likes on 23 Posts
clk and e coupe
we have strut tower bars and other braces. I have never seen actual subframe connectors
Old 10-12-2016, 09:38 AM

strut tower braces will be one of the last things I purchase but it cannot hurt to price in advance.

I haven't really put much energy into the search but so far it seems I can get a rear brace for $150 and a front brace for $190.

Are your prices comparable?
Old 10-12-2016, 10:32 AM

in regards to the bushings......I need more info.

far as I know neither poly nor solid mounts exist and would cost too much to fabricate. It is not a huge deal but it does get annoying having to replace the oem mounts so often. With aggressive driving it seems they need to be replaced every 2 years >

does anyone have information on any kind of poly bushings for this car?

secondly if I decide to replace with eom style bushings; I am assuming it is cheaper to just replace all of the bars and only press new bushings into the spring link??

Last edited by dohcfiend; 10-12-2016 at 10:34 AM.
Old 10-12-2016, 12:43 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

clk and e coupe
Originally Posted by dohcfiend
strut tower braces will be one of the last things I purchase but it cannot hurt to price in advance.

I haven't really put much energy into the search but so far it seems I can get a rear brace for $150 and a front brace for $190.

Are your prices comparable?
We are cheaper pricing
Old 10-12-2016, 10:14 PM

Received 66 Likes on 49 Posts
2002 CLK55
Suspensions go with KW V2, they are amazing you will not regret it

Kmac has poly bushings that also allows for camber and castor adjustments.

Amg oem sway bars are as big you can find aftermarket unless you want to go custom. H&R is the same size as oem.

To help even more, get Michelin PSS tires. With these you should be all set
The following users liked this post:
dohcfiend (10-15-2016)
Old 10-13-2016, 08:18 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 190 Likes on 169 Posts
2006 E55, 2012 GLK350 & 1992 190e sportline
To help even more, get Michelin PSS tires. With these you should be all set
They are going to stop production of these soon and replace it with a new model.
Old 10-15-2016, 05:54 AM

thanks for the info Q; I will definitely look into it.

-I do not need tires but when they need to be replaced I will check into the ones you recommended.
-I will also check into the KMAC bushings and check prices.
-unfortunately I have already purchased shocks and springs plus they are outside of my budget.
-that is very good to know on the sway bars; I will just look into bushings now. perhaps I might use the saved money to look into replacement body mount bushings.

CDM: do you have your parts here in the US?

Lastly, a question: would the 5 link kit from hedgehog motorsports work on my car? I highly doubt I will go this route but still good info to have.

Last edited by dohcfiend; 10-15-2016 at 07:55 AM.
Old 10-17-2016, 12:15 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
None for now
Originally Posted by insame1
They are going to stop production of these soon and replace it with a new model.
FYI, The new model is called Michelin Pilot Sport 4S
Old 10-17-2016, 02:41 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

clk and e coupe

-I do not need tires but when they need to be replaced I will check into the ones you recommended.
-unfortunately I have already purchased shocks and springs plus they are outside of my budget.
-that is very good to know on the sway bars; I will just look into bushings now. perhaps I might use the saved money to look into replacement body mount bushings.

Lastly, a question: would the 5 link kit from hedgehog motorsports work on my car? I highly doubt I will go this route but still good info to have.
95% of our parts are, unless im out of stock or it's something i dont regularly stock.
Old 10-18-2016, 11:50 AM

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts
99 C43 AMG, 2001 CLK55 AMG

Dohc,
where are you located in the US?
i have the front camber bushings from Kmac, and to be honest i dont think they are all that worth the money, heres why:
1. they seem to be sqeaky, at least one of them is, not a huge issue
2. i hardly got any adjustability. by mounting the bushing in the most favorable position i was only able to gain 0.20* of negative camber over just using the MB crash bolts... better than nothing for sure but not worth $400. but if you are trying to use them to ADD positive not get NEGATIVE like i was for track use then they might be more useful, but again the crash bolts might do the job. FYI i have bilstein B8 shocks and H&R sport springs.

agreed wtih the others on the solid motor and trans mounts. i wouldnt go solid. but its odd that you are replacing them every 2 years. are you buying the genuine MB part? mine had lasted longer than that on the C43 when i was using it at the track and autocross alot.

what is your intention with the car? if its handling then you can just replace everything stock and run some Bridgestone Re-71 or BFG Rival S tires and it will handle better than trying to go aftermarket on all this stuff spending $1000 extra and still buying tires IMO.

i did get the hedgehog motorsports rear adjustable camber arms so i can run some negative camber in the rear, im happy with those. but getting all of them i think is overkill, unless all of your bushings in the rear multilink are shot - at that point you might as well i guess. but as mentioned a lot depends on what your actually trying to accomplish with the car.

the biggest issue with this car is the front weight distribution and skinny front tires in terms of great handling IMO.

over the winter im going to try and get some junkyard fenders and flare them a bit to get 245s in the front without any rubbing. also the tire pressures you run make a huge difference in grip. but again this is all from track and autocross experience. if your just doing street driving then i wouldn't waste much money other than replacing the stock parts and good tires + spring setup for your desired ride height. unless you just have money to burn... but im my case i would save some of that for the other crazy crap that will fail on this car
Old 10-21-2016, 06:05 PM

I am located in central VA

90% of what I am doing is a "refresh".

the primary cause is the stock shocks have deteriorated in terms of dampening. I just figured while I am at it to replace all the bushings and not have to worry about going back into the suspension any time soon.

for me the stock suspension setup is good so I have little desire to wildly deviate from what is already in place. If I decide to deviate at all I think I would do so in the front suspension to compensate for uneven tire wear.

only deviations I have planned for it are stiffer springs(already installed about 2 years ago) and better shocks. Still they only fall into the "sports" category.

I just looked at K-mac's website and the one that appeals to me is the universal 12 piece rear bushing kit; however I need to dive deeper into it to see if that is the route I wish to travel considering they cost about 4-times more than just buying oe style bushings or a complete kit that already has everything installed minus the spring link bushings.

on the tires I used an aftermarket set of 18' rims that added an inch of width to both the front and rear.

on the engine mounts, it is not a huge deal. If there are some available then great but if not I am not opposed to OE replacements.

only fabrication I have planned will be on the subframe connectors if none are currently offered. I do believe there can be some good benefits to be had from "stiffening" the body.

basically I am "thinking out loud" in terms of asking what is available; does not mean I wish to commit one direction or another. I am mainly just balancing my options.

-for the sway bar bushings - they are all pretty much the same? not application specific, just get the ones that fits my diameter of sway bar? speaking of which anyone have the sway bar diameters on hand?

-it seems the rear sway bar is 18mm, that accurate?

-the front, is it 27 or 28mm?

Last edited by dohcfiend; 10-23-2016 at 02:20 PM.
Old 10-23-2016, 02:49 PM

-for the REAR sway bar bushings - they are all pretty much the same? not application specific, just get the ones that fits my diameter of sway bar? aka a universal 18mm bushing and bracket?

-speaking of which anyone have the sway bar diameters on hand?

-it seems the rear sway bar is 18mm, that accurate?

-the front, is it 27 or 28mm?

lastly, this bushing may interchange with the mercedes one with minimal modification:

thoughts:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-Powerfle...pX-k8H&vxp=mtr

pic of oe bushing

https://www.ecstuning.com/b-genuine-...S.ShoppingFeed