CLK55 AMG, CLK63 AMG (W208, W209) 2000 - 2010 (Two Generations)

Your experience w/ owning an aftermarket supercharger

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-07-2017, 07:49 PM
RPB

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
Your experience w/ owning an aftermarket supercharger

Hey Guys,

I recently acquired an '02 55 w/ a Kleemann blower installed. I really like this car, it was more than i expected in terms of overall performance! I plan on keeping it for a while. I was interested in getting some feedback from the guys with aftermarket blower installed and your overall experience in terms of reliability.. The update was installed on my car @ 82k back in 2011 and it now has 87k.

So far i had to replace the idler pulley and tensioner. The interesting one was what happened a few weeks back. I went to start the car and found it to be idling very high and I had no throttle response (Code P0120). I first swapped the TPS from my other car w/ no results. I searched the web and stumbled across a post which mentioned a few people with Kleemann blowers experiencing this issue. It turns out the connections on the female plug which insert on the TB go bad and cause carbon to buildup on the TB pins. I took it to my guy at MB who was skeptical to say the least after explaining the problem and fix. He took my word. New wires were soldered onto the female plug and the pins on the TB were thoroughly cleaned and the car has run great ever since. It apparently happens when the cable is inserted and removed quite a few times. It causes the cables to come loose in the connector and arc on the TB leaving carbon residue. Kleemann cannot be blamed for the issue. This details the procedure if it helps anyone down the road: https://mbworld.org/forums/c32-amg-c...y-p0120-4.html

Please give some feedback on your experience with an aftermarket charger. Can one expect reduced engine life? More overall maintenance..?

Cheers,

-Rob
Attached Thumbnails Your experience w/ owning an aftermarket supercharger-mb2.jpg   Your experience w/ owning an aftermarket supercharger-mb1.jpg  

Last edited by RPB; 02-07-2017 at 07:59 PM.
Old 02-11-2017, 01:21 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 98 Likes on 88 Posts
2002 CLK 55 AMG cabriolet Eurocharged
There are not many CLK with a supercharger. I am working on an install right now and Blackbenzz has broken a few records.

If you run a quick search for the Kleeman it might get results. There was a very special W209 named Gladys that gleamed in here until it was totaled in bad weather.

FX

Best, Gator
Old 02-13-2017, 03:25 PM
tw2
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 280 Likes on 231 Posts
2005 E55 AMG, 1991 MR2
It all depends on the tune and fuel supply. It is still a high compression engine with forced induction. If the fuel is adequate and cooling ok then you should be fine long term. Do you have a autorotor twin screw or eaton roots? A couple of people have blown their engines, usually cylinder 8 due to the design of the stock fuel rail.
Old 03-01-2017, 09:15 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2003 Chevy Tahoe
Gator - first off, sorry to hear of the loss of your 209. Sweet ride. Thanks for the kind words concerning Gladys. On the recommendation of BlackBenzz, an old friend, I drove her out to Colorado Sptings to have Cory Umemeto install the old style Kleemann blower, MBH longtube headers, and a Quaife LSD. When I got home Bbenzz recommended I get a customized Mustang GT dual pass heat exchanger. I now have a two owner low mileage 63BS. No doubt the BS is a beast, but the modified 55 was a kick in the pants. Being forced induction she had a head snapping leap when the blower kicked in you just don't get with an NA 63BS. No real issues, but you've hot to keep up on pre-driving checks, maintenance, and the like. Once you modify, your car becomes a project. Lot's of fun but comes with the territory.
Cheers to all!
Greg
The following users liked this post:
GatorMB (03-05-2017)
Old 03-01-2017, 10:13 PM
RPB

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
Hey guys, I appreciate the responses!! I apologize for the belated response back and had a lot going on recently. My car utilizes the Kleemann M113 twin screw charger. The fuel rail was optimized during the install. In addition to the SC intercooler and a few additional parts that were added based off the setup. Cory is definitely an asset to the company, there is no doubt he knows what he's talking about and from my experience is always readily available to assist. I'm sure Greg can attest to this more so than me.

I love the car! The SC whine alone makes it all worth it and the extra power it provides is jaw dropping. It drives like a stock car most of the time or a beast when need be. The car is definitely a keeper!!

Cheers,

-Rob

Last edited by RPB; 03-01-2017 at 10:45 PM.
Old 03-05-2017, 09:01 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 98 Likes on 88 Posts
2002 CLK 55 AMG cabriolet Eurocharged
Originally Posted by tw2
It all depends on the tune and fuel supply. It is still a high compression engine with forced induction. If the fuel is adequate and cooling ok then you should be fine long term. Do you have a autorotor twin screw or eaton roots? A couple of people have blown their engines, usually cylinder 8 due to the design of the stock fuel rail.
The fuel rail should be replaced with a rail from a 2004 to 2006 E55 with damper.
The E55 had twin pumps for compressor on demand pressure. I am considering an added return line with modulation control along with the VW GTI filter which regulates the fuel pressure to 80 plus PSI.
Twin stock pumps will ensure volume as well.
number 8 cylinder is prone to be lean on all M113 from sealing of brake booster vacuum pipe.
I will know a bit more when I start boosting with a wideband gauge and injector mod.
All the Best, Gator

Last edited by GatorMB; 03-05-2017 at 09:11 PM.
The following users liked this post:
sick430 (03-06-2017)