CLK63 Black Series Forum & Registry Information and discussion on the W209 CLK63 AMG Black Series and Registry for all owners.

** Evosport CLK63 Black Series Project **

Search this Thread

Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 5.00 average.

Old 02-06-2008, 05:29 PM
PREMIER SPONSOR

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by 573WHPCLS
Finally, I am not very familar with evosport. What little I do know about them is that I thought they were BMW tuners. Do they engineer and manufacture there own stuff, or do they just resell Kleeman, Brabus and Renn stuff?
Everything you see for this car we have designed and engineered in-house. We have done the same for our entire line of C32 and 55 AMG Kompressor Performance Products as well. Feel free to review our website (www.evosport.com) or pick-up the phone and give us a call to chat: 888-520-9971. In fact, I'd say we design more performance parts for Mercedes-Benz than we do for BMW. And we have more to offer for the CLK63 BS than anyone else on the market.
Old 02-06-2008, 06:30 PM

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
GL550, C55, 335i Coupe, vintage Mustang
I was ready to ship my car to Renntech in Florida but this car caught my eye. Any info ASAP would be appreciated

Finally, I am not very familar with evosport. What little I do know about them is that I thought they were BMW tuners. Do they engineer and manufacture there own stuff, or do they just resell Kleeman, Brabus and Renn stuff?
But, I have gotten parts from Evosport and had great experiences. Renntech actually peeved me off last week, so I say boycott them and use Evosport. Nick
Old 02-06-2008, 07:05 PM

08 CLK63 Black Series, 11 ZR1, 13 M6, 15 G63
I was just checking out all the photos of the project car a little closer, why is the front end blurred out in all of the exterior profile shots? Are they developing a new top secret nose or bumper cover? Has the car already been crashed? Just caught my eye and made me a bit curious.

Earlier this evening I did speak with someone at evosport about sending my Black Series to them for similar work. He seemed friendly and knowledgable. I see that the person posting above me would recomend evosport, how about the rest of you, anyone else care to share their experiences with evosport with me? Any input would be appreciated. Quality and timing are my two biggest concerns. Do the deliver what they promise? Do they meet deadlines?

Thanks

Last edited by 573WHPCLS; 02-06-2008 at 07:13 PM.
Old 02-06-2008, 07:09 PM
PREMIER SPONSOR

I was just checking out all the photos of the project car a little closer, why is the front end blurred out in all of the exterior profile shots? Are they developing a new top secret nose or bumper cover? Has the car already been crashed? Just caught my eye and made me a bit curious.
The front end was blurred because we are developing a new carbon aero component for the front end that we are not ready to share with public eyes.
Old 02-06-2008, 07:26 PM

CLS55, C63, 997 Turbo
Earlier this evening I did speak with someone at evosport about sending my Black Series to them for similar work. He seemed friendly and knowledgable. I see that the person posting above me would recomend evosport, how about the rest of you, anyone else care to share their experiences with evosport with me? Any input would be appreciated. Quality and timing are my two biggest concerns. Do the deliver what they promise? Do they meet deadlines?

Thanks
The folks at evosport are extremely knowledgeable and absolutely passionate about what they do. I've seen some pretty amazing and impressive stuff from them. My CLS55 has full evosport mods on it as did my E55 and M3 when I had them and I've been extremely happy with the quality of the products, their level of competency and customer service. I have a number of friends with 55's and M5/M6's that I referred to evosport and they've all been satisfied with the products as well. And I honestly looked at Kleemann and Renntech and the quality of products from evosport (the 55 pulley and cooling package for example) were so far superior to anything else out there...AND less expensive! Not to bad mouth anyone else as I have had no experience with Kleemann and limited (bad experience) with Renntech.

You can also do a search on the forum for more info as I can only share with you my personal experience. Feel free to PM me if you have any specific questions as well. Best of luck!
Old 02-06-2008, 07:38 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 53 Likes on 43 Posts
2008 CLK63 Black Series 2012 C63 Black Series 2014 SLS Black Series

Thanks
The BS that Evosport is working on is mine. Obviously the car is not done, so I can not give you an exact answer to your quality and dead-line question. What I can tell you is, that I too was considering Renntech to work on my car. I decided to go with Evosport because I got a better feeling when talking with them. They had a very conservative approach, not over estimating or exagerating what kind of gains I could expect. I talked to Renntech 3-4 times on the phone and each time they quoted me a different HP figure and price. I can also tell you, that from the photos I have been receiving throughout the project the craftsmenship appears to be top notch, no corners have been cut. I get weekly phone calls from them with status reports.

As for your dead-line question. My car is the first BS that they have touched, I'm sure there is a lot of R&D and experimentation going on. When I initially sent them the car I told them I needed the car completed by the 1st week of February. However, I threw quite a few additional large projects at them once they got started (roll bar, wheels and a few other things). I then gave them another dead-line of the end of February, it appears they are on track (no pun intended) for a late February completion.

If you would like to send me a private message with your number I would be happy to fill you in, in greater detail.

P.S. I hope it's not crashed...it looked fine when it left me LOL!

Last edited by jrcart; 02-06-2008 at 07:46 PM.
Old 02-06-2008, 08:12 PM

2005 Porsche Cayenne Turbo
Awesome car. I still haven't seen a BS at the track up here in Washington... or on the road for that matter. How often do you track the V? I'm excited to see what the '09 V can do out on the track.
Old 02-06-2008, 08:21 PM
PREMIER SPONSOR

Originally Posted by jrcart
P.S. I hope it's not crashed...it looked fine when it left me LOL!
Ok, let's not start rumors now I wish I could show everyone the aero...it looks amazing! Hang tight!!
Old 02-06-2008, 08:42 PM
cdd

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
N/A
All I can say is...I wish I had more money!

Looks amazing--nicely done.
Old 02-06-2008, 09:29 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by SeattleBum
Awesome car. I still haven't seen a BS at the track up here in Washington... or on the road for that matter. How often do you track the V? I'm excited to see what the '09 V can do out on the track.
I don't track the V very often...it is a very unreliable car. I am on my 7th rear end and 3rd tranny. When it runs it's fast (11.60's not hooking up in the 1/4), In fact my brother blew the rear end at the drag strip in the burnout box lining up against me in my BS back in September. I have taken it to a few road courses, it loves to stretch it's legs at Road America in Wisconsin, thats a HP track if there ever was one. I can run about 1.5 seconds a lap faster in my V than in my M3 at Road America but that is at the razors edge and it feels out of control at times, it will carry 22-25mph more than the M3 on the front straight and back straights...but then you have to stop it. The laps in the M3 feel effortless. On tighter courses the M3 is as fast or faster. I run the stock brakes with EBC pads, but get a lot of fade in just a couple laps. The brakes are a real weak area on the V. Let's hope the 09 is more reliable with better brakes.
Old 02-07-2008, 12:01 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2008 CLK 63 Black Series, 2013 G63, 2014 RS5 Coupe, 2013 JKUR 10A
Originally Posted by ET550
How much labor/difficulty is involved in the installation process?
I still haven't seen a response to my previous inquiry. I prefer not to ship my car to California for a roll cage installation and would really like to know the difficulty level of the install and whether you can recommend anyone in the CT/NY area to do the install.
Old 02-07-2008, 04:51 PM
MBWorld Founder

ones too fast according to CHP!
Dymag Update

Look what a little English birdie dropped off today:

19x10 Front, 17lbs
19x11 Rear, 17.5lbs
*No realize, the weight is all in the middle, so these perform like a much lighter wheel then even that

I know some people were concerned about the pics we posted earlier as they had a little yellow tint to the clear - well that was with the early production ones. These should match the car perfect!

thanks
Brad
Old 02-07-2008, 04:56 PM
Out Of Control!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Brad,

So in actuality these Dymags you posted pics off which doesn't have that "yellow" CF effect will be produced like that? The finish or clearcoat on it looks amazing as well. Are the prices on these posted on evo.com?
Old 02-07-2008, 06:01 PM
MBWorld Founder

Originally Posted by LZH
Brad - very nice work on the cage. The attention to detail is fantastic. The Dymags are really nice and will make the car that much more fun to drive, not to mention removing unsprung weight which will make the car faster, more nimble and brake even shorter. However, I just do not like the yellow hue on the carbon barrel. Especially right next to the air extractors as you can really see the difference in the factory, non heat treated carbon.
Excellent work - now post a sound clip of those headers
Thank you very much. The Dymag is truly a phenomenal wheel. They are light, but with the majority of the weight in the middle of the spinning wheel, there is very little rotating mass. I have heard a rumor that Dymag have been selected by MBZ/MC for the next generation SLR (to add to the list of cars they are already doing).

The yellow hue is gone. Ours were apparently an earlier one and the process has been much refined. They came out with the CF almost perfect to the car.

Originally Posted by Jim Brady
Brad,
I have several questions on the chrome moly roll bar. What is the diameter and wall thickness on the tubing? Secondly, are the mounting points to the floor, frame rails or seat belt pick up points.
Although my car will see light track use, some clubs scrutinize safety equipment with very little flexibility and I don't want to have them drill a leather wrapped bar.
1-5/8 .095 4130 Chromolly. We can make it to any spec if something different is desired. Unwrapped we would make larger tube.

Originally Posted by jrcart
Wow, I'm impressed. It turned out even better than I was expecting. I wanted a factory, OEM look, and you guys delivered.
Thanks! I know you are going to be very happy!

Originally Posted by LZH
+1 - spont on. The detail on that stitching is something to be proud of.
Yea, the guy we use is a true artist for sure. The best thing is that he is quick and reasonable!

Originally Posted by LZH
Looks like it's min 2.250 x .120 wall thickness. That's standard size for CM tubing widely used in the motorsports industry. I'm interested to know as well where the mounting points are.
A little smaller actually. We use bigger and thicker for the roll cages in race cars, but we wanted a nice combo of weight and strength on this.

They attach via the factory anchor on the rear seat back location and you need to drill one hole on the floor.

Originally Posted by JDB
Your images really show off the quality and attention to detail that you have put into your modifications. Very impressive!

It'll be interesting to learn how all of this work has improved the performance of the car.
Thanks!

Originally Posted by Schiznick
What did the car dyno as the baseline?
419whp on a dynojet 248c
*I had put 422 before, but that was with smoothing turned up inadvertently. 419 is with smoothign at 0*

Originally Posted by Jim Brady
Lotta eye candy getting me excited EVO, where's the beef?
It is all coming.

You are local - come by and say hi. If you are in OPA, I am in Cowan Heights - we are practically neighbors!

Originally Posted by nrgy
Yeah, I'm very anxious to hear the results as well. While I don't have a CLK BS, I'm hoping the headers and software are compatible with the C63. Everything in these pics look very well made.
So are we! We are using this to develop all of our 63-line products. The software right now will cross over no problem already.

Originally Posted by spr
Nice rollbar especially the wrap. Looks very much like the tequipment bolt in Porsche one however that's aluminum- you might try that it weighed NOTHING! Also are there seat belt points to bolt it in? You might do it just like they do making it a true bolt in, although you have to bend them a little for fit usually to line up the holes-

It would drop the weight by 2/3.
Thanks, compared to OE Porsche, that is high praise. I would be SCARED to use an aluminum roll bar. This is only 42lbs wrapped, I cannot imagine anything alum that would be strong enough would be much lighter.

Originally Posted by Addicted2Speed
What you guys should do is install some carbon ceramic brakes
We have someone working on Ceramic rotors for us as we speak! Middle of the year!

Originally Posted by EUROTEK//AMG
!!! amazing job with the upgrades!!!
Thanks!

Originally Posted by group5
The Renault Maxi Group B (killer bee) car or it might have been the Tour de Course car had an aluminum cage. I made an exact copy for a customer out of 1 5/8" by 1/8" wall 6061T6. Obviously it is a lighter car, but I had the actual factory cage to duplicate.
Yes, and that car (and 99% of the other cars of its age would not pass any modern racing series tech inspection! I have seen some crazy stuff from 10, 20, 30 year old race cars - most of it scares the crap out of me!

How much labor/difficulty is involved in the installation process?
We certainly can send them out for non-local cars (that was the intention). I would estimate 12-16 hours depending on the tech's level of familiarity with the car (ie: pulling apart the interior)

That looks like it's going to be an amazing car. I am brand new to this forum today, I did not even know it existed. I just took delivery of my Black Series last month. I am looking to try to get some more HP out of her. I have been reading that none of the 63 motors are easy to squeeze much HP out of. I have a heavily modded CLS 55, which is tame enough for everyday driving but it's a rocket when I want it to be. Has anyone done anything that has given them any increases in HP or torque to any 63 motor? What kind of dyno numbers have you seen from this Black Series. Can you break down the HP increases for me. How much did the headers add, how much did the pulleys add, how much for the ECU, etc. What kind of mufflers did you run on this car? How much for the cage? Is that something you can ship me and I install myself or do I have to ship the car to California? I was ready to ship my car to Renntech in Florida but this car caught my eye. Any info ASAP would be appreciated

I saw Simon (one of my partners) replied, so I will not belabor the point.

We do manufacture parts for and tune Mercedes as a profession, just like BMW. Although our racing is focused on BMW (due to the nature of the market), Mercedes is a major focus. We have extremely well trained engineers and techs (including one who was a lead US Brabus tech).

FYI, for those that do not know our BMW work, here is one thread on one car we recently built that is fun reading: TURBO e46 RACER

Originally Posted by nick 55
But, I have gotten parts from Evosport and had great experiences. Renntech actually peeved me off last week, so I say boycott them and use Evosport. Nick
Thanks! We are certainly not perfect, but we are true enthusiasts who offer truly engineered and 100% US built (non-re badged) products!

The front is blurred to hide the prototype CF splitter.

We are a younger company and we certainly have some customers with missed expectations or time-lines in our past. No company is perfect and sometimes it is impossible to please anyone. However, we strive to do the best we can, and we try not to hide from issues, rather address them head on. The more honest and direct we can be, the better for everyone!

I still haven't seen a response to my previous inquiry. I prefer not to ship my car to California for a roll cage installation and would really like to know the difficulty level of the install and whether you can recommend anyone in the CT/NY area to do the install.
Our dealer page will be updated soon with more shops, for now you can look here or just call us. We can arrange a great installation shop for you!

Originally Posted by JamE55
So in actuality these Dymags you posted pics off which doesn't have that "yellow" CF effect will be produced like that? The finish or clearcoat on it looks amazing as well. Are the prices on these posted on evo.com?
These are the latest and greatest from Dymag. They are fairly expensive, but you are getting performance too. The rumor I heard was that in two instances (one Tony Kanan's EVO and one with an SLR) 30+ whp was seen on the dyno by adding these wheels. I would not claim that without seeing it for myself, but I also certainly believe it is possible as you are cutting so much rotating mass our of the car.

Thanks all!
Brad
Old 02-07-2008, 08:03 PM
LZH
Banned

CLK 63 Black Series, 2009 S550, 2011 Range Rover Supercharged, BMW F800 GS Anniv Edition
Originally Posted by otoupalik

We are a younger company and we certainly have some customers with missed expectations or time-lines in our past. No company is perfect and sometimes it is impossible to please anyone. However, we strive to do the best we can, and we try not to hide from issues, rather address them head on. The more honest and direct we can be, the better for everyone!
Good stuff man - the above is nice to read after that 10 page debacle regarding EE....

About the Dymags - It's my understanding that the yellow hue in previous wheels was as a result of the heat treating process.
Are these new carbon barrels heat treated ???
Thanks Brad !
Old 02-07-2008, 08:11 PM
MBWorld Founder

Yes, thanks. The Eisenmann issue is a tough one. I had heard rumors, but to hear that it is confirmed really sucks.

Yes, it was with the treatment, they have simply refined and updated that process and they are able to have an end product that looks like this!!!!

thanks
Brad
Old 02-07-2008, 08:51 PM
LZH
Banned

CLK 63 Black Series, 2009 S550, 2011 Range Rover Supercharged, BMW F800 GS Anniv Edition
Wow....those are going to look amazing. And I can attest to the bolt on hp improvement with the Dymags. We saw a 37hp increase after putting them on one of our GT3 Cup cars. Reducing that rotating mass at the hub is key. The other benefit is greatly reduced braking distance allowing you to really carry lots of speed in and out of the turns.
This Black Series is going to be a F'ing beast on the track. I'd guess it'll turn laps in the 20's on the big track at Willow, possibly even teens if really pushed....
Old 02-07-2008, 08:53 PM

It just keeps getting better and better. Those wheels are insane! Are they available in a deeper lip offset? I know this is a Black Series thread, but are those wheels avaiable in a 19" fitment for a CLS 55? I'm rollin with a pair of one-off Fikse's, and I thought those were bada$$! Are Dymags custom built to order, or are they something I can get shipped in a few days? VERY INTERESTED FOR BOTH OF MY MB's!
Old 02-07-2008, 09:40 PM
MBWorld Founder

Originally Posted by LZH
Wow....those are going to look amazing. And I can attest to the bolt on hp improvement with the Dymags. We saw a 37hp increase after putting them on one of our GT3 Cup cars. Reducing that rotating mass at the hub is key. The other benefit is greatly reduced braking distance allowing you to really carry lots of speed in and out of the turns.
This Black Series is going to be a F'ing beast on the track. I'd guess it'll turn laps in the 20's on the big track at Willow, possibly even teens if really pushed....
Yes, these are the nicest ones we have done. With the offsets, we could achieve the set-back look so they were not so flat - the look in person is really insane. I have one across from me all day - cannot stop looking!

Very cool that you saw similar gains. We run them on a few of our cars (especially last year testing them on a bunch of different race cars) just have not dyno'ed with them. You can feel the difference on track, that is for sure.

Turn in, braking, acceleration - everywhere!

It just keeps getting better and better. Those wheels are insane! Are they available in a deeper lip offset? I know this is a Black Series thread, but are those wheels avaiable in a 19" fitment for a CLS 55? I'm rollin with a pair of one-off Fikse's, and I thought those were bada$$! Are Dymags custom built to order, or are they something I can get shipped in a few days? VERY INTERESTED FOR BOTH OF MY MB's!
They do not offer a lip unfortunately. The design is only with the bolts on the front. They do have a split 5 spoke wheel to match with the 9 spoke though.

Split 5 spoke:

Here they are on one of our race cars:

They are VERY unique which is hard to do today in a quality wheel. And you are buying performance.

They are custom built to order in England. They take form 2 to 6 weeks depending on the size and options.

You can read more here: DYMAG SITE

Thanks
Brad
Old 02-08-2008, 06:00 AM

2001 Kleemann CLK 230K, 2006 CLS 350, GTR R35
sorry, but what are these things on the wheel?

and how much these badass cost?

Last edited by Acez; 02-08-2008 at 06:05 AM.
Old 02-08-2008, 09:58 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by Acez
sorry, but what are these things on the wheel?

and how much these badass cost?
I would assume those are the bolt heads that secure the magnesium center/hub to the carbon fiber outer rim barrel. It looks like there is one at the base of every spoke.
Old 02-08-2008, 11:05 AM
MBWorld Founder

correct!

Jim - so what do you think???? Do they exceed your expectations like they do mine!
Old 02-08-2008, 11:24 AM

How much loot are we talking about here? Even if we are talking about $12,000 ( I would assume that is a high guesstimate) for a set I would consider that a relative bargain. If what everyone is saying about HP gains are true, 30-40 HP, plus improved handling, braking and killer looks...thats a bargain in my opinion. Hell, I paid $8800 for a set of headers that only gave me 26 HP, thats $338 per HP. If the wheels cost $12k and you see gains of 35 HP that equates to $342 per HP, thats a near equal investment. Sign me up!
Old 02-08-2008, 11:32 AM

I was just on the Dymag website and I did not see a 19" x 11" fitment on their chart. Are you sure the wheels in the photo are 19"x 11"? Are you sure an 11" wide wheel is going to fit and clear everything?
Old 02-08-2008, 11:44 AM
MBWorld Founder

How much loot are we talking about here? Even if we are talking about $12,000 ( I would assume that is a high guesstimate) for a set I would consider that a relative bargain. If what everyone is saying about HP gains are true, 30-40 HP, plus improved handling, braking and killer looks...thats a bargain in my opinion. Hell, I paid $8800 for a set of headers that only gave me 26 HP, thats $338 per HP. If the wheels cost $12k and you see gains of 35 HP that equates to $342 per HP, thats a near equal investment. Sign me up!
Yep - that is the only way to think about justifying the cost. They would be less then the $12,000 number (but not by too much). But again, all things considered combined with them being ultra trick and an amazing conversation piece, if you can afford it, they ARE the ultimate.

I was just on the Dymag website and I did not see a 19" x 11" fitment on their chart. Are you sure the wheels in the photo are 19"x 11"? Are you sure an 11" wide wheel is going to fit and clear everything?
The 11" is a NEW fitment. In fact, these are the first set in the world!

Pics on the car hopefully next week. We are going to try to go 285 front and 305 rear!

Thanks
brad

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: ** Evosport CLK63 Black Series Project **