CLK63 Black Series Forum & Registry Information and discussion on the W209 CLK63 AMG Black Series and Registry for all owners.

would you buy a "Hyper-miler" BS

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-16-2014, 11:17 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
'96 VW Harlequin #25 of #264, '09 VW CC (bagged), 964 C2, and hopefully a CLK63 Black Series
would you buy a "Hyper-miler" BS

So as you guys are probably aware there are a few BS for sale at the moment.

one of them has 77k miles on it and its a really good price obviously.

I'm trying to decide if i want to buy a high miler like that or spend a few extra grand and get a lower milage one.

i know there is a thread on here and i was reading it and one guy had 90k miles appox on his.

Anything you would look for?
stay away from?

and if anyone knows of a clean white BS for sale thats not a million dollars please show me! haha

oh FYI I'm a newb here.

I've always wanted a BS and my financial status is finally allowing that to become a reality. i am in no rush and really want to find the "right" car… AKA a white one
Old 03-17-2014, 08:38 AM

2008 CLK63 Black Series; 1978 Toyota Land Cruiser; 2015 BMW R1200GSA; 2003 Porsche 996 Turbo (gone)
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by kyledupreez
So as you guys are probably aware there are a few BS for sale at the moment.

one of them has 77k miles on it and its a really good price obviously.

I'm trying to decide if i want to buy a high miler like that or spend a few extra grand and get a lower milage one.

i know there is a thread on here and i was reading it and one guy had 90k miles appox on his.

Anything you would look for?
stay away from?

and if anyone knows of a clean white BS for sale thats not a million dollars please show me! haha

oh FYI I'm a newb here.

I've always wanted a BS and my financial status is finally allowing that to become a reality. i am in no rush and really want to find the "right" car… AKA a white one
Think you'll find the consensus here is that while there are exceptions with any car, the CLK Black is bullet proof. As for your questions on whether to buy a high mileage car, the answer the same for any vehicle....

- How long do you plan on keeping the car?
- What type of annual mileage do you plan on putting on the car?
- What are high/low end of your budget?

Obviously the lower mileage the better, but the critical factors for me would be documented maintenance history, track time (one of my requirements was zero track time), accident history, paint condition and a clear PPI. If all these squares are checked, there's no reason why you can't put another 77K on it.

Finally, as for white and especially red, you'll generally pay a premium, as those respective colors are the rarest.

Good luck and hope to see you back on the forum with your new beast.

Last edited by stewarjm1; 03-17-2014 at 08:41 AM.
Old 03-17-2014, 08:45 PM

'96 VW Harlequin #25 of #264, '09 VW CC (bagged), 964 C2, and hopefully a CLK63 Black Series
Thanks,

of course the white is rare... haha

agreed with everything you said. i just dont know Benz's at all, im a VW/Porsche guy (air cooleds) so this high tech magic in these cars is beyond me. haha

i appreciate the input.

my next question is anything to look for specifically?
and the track time how do you know? just take it from what they say? or are there ways to tell? i mean obviouslly i can see when a car has been abused, but i have taken cars to the track and i doubt anyone could tell.

and i plan on keeping it FOREVER! at least until i can get a 2nd mortgage to afford a newer c63 BS haha
Old 03-18-2014, 05:06 AM

CLK63 Black
Thanks,

of course the white is rare... haha

agreed with everything you said. i just dont know Benz's at all, im a VW/Porsche guy (air cooleds) so this high tech magic in these cars is beyond me. haha

i appreciate the input.

my next question is anything to look for specifically?
and the track time how do you know? just take it from what they say? or are there ways to tell? i mean obviouslly i can see when a car has been abused, but i have taken cars to the track and i doubt anyone could tell.

and i plan on keeping it FOREVER! at least until i can get a 2nd mortgage to afford a newer c63 BS haha
There's a fellow here selling his, non white of course, why not just wrap it white, I mean, if it is the right car, colour aside?
Old 03-18-2014, 05:06 AM

Received 107 Likes on 79 Posts
'12 C63BS "SlickTop", '08 CLK63BS, '16 E63S wagon, '12 CLS63, amongst other non-Merc toys
I love my Pcar if you can't tell already, you got pics of the 964C2? I've been on and off looking for one, just a tiptronic couple will do because I plan to hack up the car anyways hahaha

I love my CLK63BS too, and it took me a good 6 months to find my arctic white as I've had the choice to pass up on three prior ones; it's kinda funny the way how it all worked out, as the car I picked up was actually the closest to me and had the least mileage as well. So I'm sure you'll find yours, just gotta be patient! Local in SoCal, I personally know two other arctic white owners and know-of two other ones, including mine and the 3 or 4 on the market across the nation, as well as one that was totaled about 2 yrs ago, and that pretty much 25% of all the white ones ever made their way to North America.

What are your plans for the Black? Keeping it stock or gona mod it?
Old 03-18-2014, 12:36 PM

2008 CLK63 Black Series; 1978 Toyota Land Cruiser; 2015 BMW R1200GSA; 2003 Porsche 996 Turbo (gone)
Regarding your track time question, based on what I've read here, heavy track time results in heated brake calipers and a color change from the usual bright red to an almost gold color. That said, I'm sure someone much wiser than I will chime in with add'l insight.

For grins, here's one in FL...extremely low miles. Likely steep price premium as it has been on the market for awhile...guess they're very attached to it.
That said, no harm in asking

http://www.extremeauto1.com/detail-2...d-3029594.html

Last edited by stewarjm1; 03-18-2014 at 12:47 PM.
Old 03-18-2014, 02:09 PM

Originally Posted by stewarjm1
Regarding your track time question, based on what I've read here, heavy track time results in heated brake calipers and a color change from the usual bright red to an almost gold color. That said, I'm sure someone much wiser than I will chime in with add'l insight.

For grins, here's one in FL...extremely low miles. Likely steep price premium as it has been on the market for awhile...guess they're very attached to it.
That said, no harm in asking

http://www.extremeauto1.com/detail-2...d-3029594.html
i wish. im just a broke college student, who happened to get lucky with a few purchase early on in my life, which as provided me money for my stupid car obsession... and I works his A$$ off. haha Im looking for the cheapest best BS i can find! haha

The idea of wrapping it never occurred to me... but i am very OCD and the door jams would drive me nuts!

i would probably eventually do a renntech ECU program, intake, and exhaust and thats it. the car is insane as is and ive had "built" cars before and i much prefer the feel of a minor bolt on car.

As for the P-car. i will post some pics when i get her out of storage and cleaned. haha i bought it last fall (my first 911 and i am the worlds biggest 911 freak) put it in a storage unit over winter, and cant wait to bring it out when i actually have spring here (it snowed last night).
Shes not pretty, but she will be when im done.
are you thinking RWB??? ha i want a long nose one like they did in Thailand. NOM NOM NOM
Old 03-19-2014, 05:37 AM

'12 C63BS "SlickTop", '08 CLK63BS, '16 E63S wagon, '12 CLS63, amongst other non-Merc toys
As for the P-car. i will post some pics when i get her out of storage and cleaned. haha i bought it last fall (my first 911 and i am the worlds biggest 911 freak) put it in a storage unit over winter, and cant wait to bring it out when i actually have spring here (it snowed last night).
Shes not pretty, but she will be when im done.
are you thinking RWB??? ha i want a long nose one like they did in Thailand. NOM NOM NOM
For the hack I meant, was thinking about swapping the 996tt drivetrain into a 964. But speaking of RWB, it has sure grown in my heart, I'm bias towards the 930/964 though and never really liked the 993. Congrats on your purchase with the Pcar, the 996tt i've still got is my first Pcar too; funny that you mentioned long/slant nose, that's what mine is after the TopSecret aero:

Can't wait to see you pick up the Black Series, and welcome to the fam!
Old 03-19-2014, 07:03 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 84 Likes on 70 Posts
Current: C217 V12TT AMG Previously: C55 AMG, SL65 AMG
I'll gladly pick up a white with high miles and track time . Now to find one....
Old 03-19-2014, 10:08 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
W215 V12TT Build by Speedriven, W221 S550 4Matic
Can you please tell us what this 77K mile car is going for? it will be easier to tell if some of us know what kind of price we are talking about. If the car is anywhere near 50K its not worth it. You can find a nice 55k-60K for $50,000. There is one here locally for sale for $52,000 that has 62K miles and its a good condition car.
Old 03-19-2014, 11:21 AM

Originally Posted by kamilclk430
Can you please tell us what this 77K mile car is going for? it will be easier to tell if some of us know what kind of price we are talking about. If the car is anywhere near 50K its not worth it. You can find a nice 55k-60K for $50,000. There is one here locally for sale for $52,000 that has 62K miles and its a good condition car.
its on auto trader. i haven't dug too hard since I'm busy with work and midterms at the moment. i think it was listed at 47k by far the cheapest BS I have seen. but there is a white one with 60k miles? i think thats 53k or so and for a few extra grand i get less miles and the color i want, I'm more tempted that way. but i am in no rush thats for sure.

back to the P-car talk
ahhh the 996tt… i have mixed feelings. having never driven one i can't talk too far, but that drivetrain is something impressive. I personally don't like the look, as mentioned I'm a 60s SWB porsche guy haha i like the old air-cooled and slow stuff. you don't like the 993???? we can't be friends and as for you putting a water-cooled motor in an air-cooled porsche… you will probably be drawn and quartered. haha the porsche guys are purists. I talk about RWB and 80% say its wrong and i should be allowed to own a porsche and so on. haha
My dream is a Singer 911 :roll eyes: my goal is by the time I'm 30… so i have 7 years to save up the funds for a 500k car… FML
Old 03-19-2014, 04:35 PM

Received 27 Likes on 11 Posts
AMG GT C Roadster
My White BS was just traded in today, 34K miles but it has an accident on the CarFax history due to some kid pulling out in front of me while crossing an intersection 2 years ago. No airbags deployed and no frame damage (low speed ~15mph)... Replaced front bumper, hood, right fender and headlight, and of course the radiator and AMG cooler in the front. This was done at the best collision shop in Atlanta.

Because of the accident history, you should be able to get this car for a steal. I am not sure where they are going to price it, but I believe they are going to try to sell it well under $60K. Other than the accident history, this car is basically perfect and has been meticulously maintained with a lot of preventative maintenance done (e.g. just had the rear diff service done which was not due until 60K I believe)...

It's got a tune, HRE M40 wheels, Xpel Ultimate clearbra, phone integration and iPod connection.
Old 03-19-2014, 04:54 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
W215 V12TT Build by Speedriven, W221 S550 4Matic
Originally Posted by mellowyellow
My White BS was just traded in today, 34K miles but it has an accident on the CarFax history due to some kid pulling out in front of me while crossing an intersection 2 years ago. No airbags deployed and no frame damage (low speed ~15mph)... Replaced front bumper, hood, right fender and headlight, and of course the radiator and AMG cooler in the front. This was done at the best collision shop in Atlanta.

Because of the accident history, you should be able to get this car for a steal. I am not sure where they are going to price it, but I believe they are going to try to sell it well under $60K. Other than the accident history, this car is basically perfect and has been meticulously maintained with a lot of preventative maintenance done (e.g. just had the rear diff service done which was not due until 60K I believe)...

It's got a tune, HRE M40 wheels, Xpel Ultimate clearbra, phone integration and iPod connection.
How much did they give you on trade?
Old 03-20-2014, 01:17 AM

Originally Posted by mellowyellow

hmmm i will keep an eye out. name of dealership?
Old 03-20-2014, 04:00 AM

back to the P-car talk
ahhh the 996tt… i have mixed feelings. having never driven one i can't talk too far, but that drivetrain is something impressive. I personally don't like the look, as mentioned I'm a 60s SWB porsche guy haha i like the old air-cooled and slow stuff. you don't like the 993???? we can't be friends and as for you putting a water-cooled motor in an air-cooled porsche… you will probably be drawn and quartered. haha the porsche guys are purists. I talk about RWB and 80% say its wrong and i should be allowed to own a porsche and so on. haha
My dream is a Singer 911 :roll eyes: my goal is by the time I'm 30… so i have 7 years to save up the funds for a 500k car… FML
The 996tt motor & drivetrain are bulletproof and cost-friendly to maintain, I've had mine 996tt built when I was your age 6 yrs ago, and trust me I've experienced the criticism of the Pcar purists, 99% of the mods I did to my 996tt are all JDM (TopSecret/Endless/Roberuta/Aragosta/Arqray/GruppeM/etc.), and this was back in 2008, before people even heard of RWB lol! Pretty sure you can imagine what most had to say about being different and going all-out JDM on a Pcar hahaha

Singer 911's are cool and don't get me wrong IMO they are truly the most prestigious restored Pcars on this side of the coast, but honestly even driving one at an age of 30 would make me feel older than I should, I'd see myself in that maybe not for another 10~20yrs, got other toys in my bucket list I'd like to experience beforehand.
Old 03-20-2014, 04:23 AM

its on auto trader. i haven't dug too hard since I'm busy with work and midterms at the moment. i think it was listed at 47k by far the cheapest BS I have seen. but there is a white one with 60k miles? i think thats 53k or so and for a few extra grand i get less miles and the color i want, I'm more tempted that way. but i am in no rush thats for sure.
You mean the $64K arctic white with 40k miles? With the red painted calipers? That one use to be owned by my buddy here in SoCal, he sold the car two years ago for $65k at the time with nearly half the mileage, looks like the value sure is good with these white ones!
Old 03-20-2014, 01:25 PM

Originally Posted by 1JDM911
You mean the $64K arctic white with 40k miles? With the red painted calipers? That one use to be owned by my buddy here in SoCal, he sold the car two years ago for $65k at the time with nearly half the mileage, looks like the value sure is good with these white ones!
sure we will go with that. ha this is going to be another one of my long searches it would seem. much like my Harlequin (clown car) took me 3.5 years and the guy actually found me haha

oh well.

P-car talk
agreed the singer is an old mans car... but i have old man taste it would seem. haha my car bucket list is ridiculous as most car guys, but i love those air-cooled 911s so much and the singer is just the perfect one IMO.
Old 03-20-2014, 01:58 PM

AMG GT C Roadster
hmmm i will keep an eye out. name of dealership?
I am not sure if they are going to wholesale it right away or sell it, I have contacted them to find out and will let you (and others who contacted me) know. I wish I could have kept it, but just don't have the room anymore.
Old 03-21-2014, 08:15 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 124 Likes on 43 Posts
'94 NSX,'99 NSX Z,'12 C63 Black Series (Prior: '07 E63, '08 CLK63 Black Series,'14 E63-S & 16 C63-S)
With a lot of the cars that have these motors, the motor mounts start to need replaced between 50k - 60k miles, and there are some other niggling little bits. Just pay for a good PPI. I had a Black Series inspected that looked perfect visually, but needed almost $3,500 in work after the PPI. Best $220 I ever spent was that inspection.
Old 03-21-2014, 09:04 PM

Originally Posted by Meeyatch1
With a lot of the cars that have these motors, the motor mounts start to need replaced between 50k - 60k miles, and there are some other niggling little bits. Just pay for a good PPI. I had a Black Series inspected that looked perfect visually, but needed almost $3,500 in work after the PPI. Best $220 I ever spent was that inspection.
good advice.

as for the wholesale car, ill have my dealer (not drugs, my car dealer) look at the auctions down there in the next little while for me
Old 03-29-2014, 11:46 AM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
CLK63 AMG Black Series
Good luck with the search! ;-)
Old 03-30-2014, 02:47 AM

http://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-s...65149595&Log=0

what do you guys think? too cheap?
and i really want a white one =( but i also want to buy a new place this summer haha
Old 03-30-2014, 04:58 AM

http://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-s...65149595&Log=0

and i really want a white one =( but i also want to buy a new place this summer haha
Usually I'm iffy on any FL cars, but if the PPI checks out okay, then you'd be fine.

If you need to finance the car, don't waste your $ for the preference of color, save your $ for the real estate man.. you'll feel better when it's all said and done!
Old 03-30-2014, 07:00 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 84 Likes on 70 Posts
Current: C217 V12TT AMG Previously: C55 AMG, SL65 AMG
wow, down to 46 now, wasn't it just at 48
Old 03-30-2014, 11:48 AM

AMG GT C Roadster
Did you check into my White one with more than half the miles of that one? They definitely have good room to move on the price, I am really surprised they priced it where they did.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: would you buy a "Hyper-miler" BS