CLK63 Black Series Forum & Registry Information and discussion on the W209 CLK63 AMG Black Series and Registry for all owners.

HERE COMES THE TURBOS

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-18-2014, 09:44 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2009 SL-63
HERE COMES THE TURBOS

I have been following engine development in Europe. To keep HP and fuel mileage, most are going to smaller displacement twin turbo platforms and electric is around the corner, (no sound) !
Looking at AMG and BMW they are already well into this package.
Say good by to the big AMG 6.2 ltr. aspirated V-8 boys.
Having raced and driven both types of engines I have always been partial to aspirated engines. F-! is a good example of what you lose when you turbocharge a small displacement engine. The sound of F-! was the most awesome part of the sport. Give me the last V-12 Ferrari F-1 motor any day. Following a NIssian GTR last week with my Black it was fast all right, but it sounded muted.
It didn't sound like a fast car. The Weekend Warrior with its deep and loud sound when you give it throttle drowned the GTR out !
I say performance cars not only have to look fast, but sound fast also. Outright power isn't everything. Only a aspirated Big Block can thrill you with its power and sound.
The Black has more potential than most here realize.
Proper alignment, locking differential, removing the 24 rear rubber bushings and right tires changes the game. The front end was always good, it was the rear that was terrible. I haven't tracked the Warrior so I can't give track time improvements over stock. I did track my first BLack several times before giving up. I was turning low 1;40's at Big Willow. I just couldn't put the power down and M-3' track cars w/tires would catch me in the turns easily. It took several years but parts were finally developed. 3750lb cars like the Black need negative camber. The contact patch distorts losing grip when you lean on it with a heavy car. Now I can use all the mechanical grip the tires can provide both front and rear.
Can't wait for my H&G Motorsports adjustable rear control arms !
Those who own the Black have a special car and time will prove that. Its the last of an era and what performance cars are all about.
P.S Watching the 24hrs of LeMans the Corvette sounded awesome didn't it? It's a crowd favorite every year.
Old 06-20-2014, 10:33 AM

Received 108 Likes on 80 Posts
'12 C63BS "SlickTop", '08 CLK63BS, '16 E63S wagon, '12 CLS63, amongst other non-Merc toys
such a misleading thread title lol.
Old 07-17-2014, 02:49 AM

Clk 63 bs
clkbs rear arms

stev have those arms been made yet
Old 07-17-2014, 06:01 AM

2009 SL-63
Yes they are in final stage of having finish applied. Will be taking the Black to H&G Motorsports for first install next week. They will do a complete workup on the arms and install photos.
It will be on their web site and posted on this one.
They are very similar to the EVO SPORT units with the Weistec Derlin bushings utilized.
Jim Brady who had one of the few sets Evo made said they made a radical improvement from stock.
With adjustable bushings and 2 deg. in front and only 1.25 deg. rear, my car now really corners hard and solid. You can really lean on it and it just sticks. When you are at the limit of grip the tires begin to squeal. Finally the Black will be balanced and the rear will stay put like the front does. With the rear arms & 2deg. neg. camber it should be dialed in for hard cornering and fun to drive at the limit with no sweat. 4 wheel drift here we come.
Old 07-20-2014, 10:19 PM
SPONSOR

Received 145 Likes on 115 Posts
Mercedes-Benz CLK 550

STREET OR TRACK....

Precisely adjustable front Camber and Caster. Rear Camber (and extra Toe) adjuster kits !

Since the mid '90 models, there has been no Camber and Caster adjustment facility fitted OEM.

Only adjustment is front and rear Toe.

Many owners continually change tire brands or go from one MB dealer or alignment shop to another trying to get it right/fix the problem...

Edge tire wear, loss of traction or steering pull. Result of altering height, fitting wide profile tires/wheels, curb knock damage.

K-MAC has been manufacturing Camber, Caster, Toe adjuster kits longer than anyone else (over 40 years) with the World's largest range Audi to Volvo.

We saw the need therefore to design, develop, (and re-instate from the 1990's) fully adjustable front and rear suspension.

Our years of product design/expertise is demonstrated in all out 10/10th's competition racing where heavy V8's lap after lap hitting race curbs at top speed, becoming airborne - slamming down and "Race Safety Scrutineers" with this first hand experience stating K-MAC and only K-MAC adjuster kits are to be used.

Besides strength, durability with K-MAC it also shows up with our unique patented bush designs getting power to the ground, maximum traction without suspension arms binding/locking up.

Along with improved high speed directional control, greatly increased steering response. Reduced dive/lift under brake and acceleration are also some of the attributes.

K-MAC kits also feature fast/precise single wrench adjustment on car/no disassembly required each time (accurate under load - direct on alignment turntable). Unlike labor intensive one position offset bushes.

Race days can adjust front for extra track width and extra negative Camber. Allowing to go deeper into the corners/lowering laps times, while fine tuning rear for maximum traction.

Rear kits include extra Toe adjustment (doubles adjustment range to cater for the new rear Camber facility). Unlike the alternative adjustable Camber arms K-MAC rear kits do not move top of tires outwards - this reducing all important clearance to outer fender when adjusting to fix premature inner edge tire wear/improve rear traction.

Bonus with the four front and four rear bushes is that they are designed with twice the load bearing area and also replace the highest wearing suspension bushings. And with K-MAC no special tools are required to fit.
Old 07-20-2014, 10:25 PM
SPONSOR

Received 145 Likes on 115 Posts
Mercedes-Benz CLK 550

W211 AMG, Black Series.