CLK63 Black Series Forum & Registry Information and discussion on the W209 CLK63 AMG Black Series and Registry for all owners.

CLK63 AMG as a daily driver?

Old 11-11-2014, 05:28 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2015 991 Turbo S, 2013 M3, 2018 X5M and some others
CLK63 AMG as a daily driver?

Hey guys, happy to join MB world.

Looking for some advice from you guys about whether the CLK63 is good as a daily driver in my situation. I've always loved the way they looked and there seems to be a few for sale in the $70-$80K range that are fairly pristine. I've never driven one so I need to do that for sure...and interested in what you guys think of it compared to what I'm going to be giving up to get it.

Some info on me. Current daily is a 2013 BMW e92 M3 DCT trans, ESS 650 blower, Akrapovic Evolution exhaust, Big Brake kit. Car is coming up on lease-end in about 8 months. My options are to buy the car out and continue with it or turn it in and get into something different. While I have raced this car before on the track and airstrip, I have another car (997.2 Turbo S) that I have completed modding and it now will now serve and my only race car. So if I purchased the CLK63, it likely will never see the track.

The way I have the M3 built is pretty sweet. It revs to 8,600 rpm and the pull feels very similar to that of a 458 Italia. I raced a Weistec supercharged C63 at an airstrip event and it was a dead tie. About 130mph trap car. Suspension is stock so very comfortable and the DCT is glorious. My commute is a nice cruise up Pacific Coast Highway from Dana Point to Newport Beach. I usually don't have passengers. The only thing I need it to do is fit my surfboard on occasion. Do the rear seats fold-down?

I have heard mixed results particularly people say I will not like the transmission compared to the DCT (or PDK in the Turbo S). And the technology is pretty old as well. But having something raw and visceral is required...and I'm afraid the new cars these days are lacking that.

What do you guys think?
Old 11-11-2014, 08:48 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
CLK63 AMG Black Series
I can see your dilemma, this is a tough call IMHO.

I recently rode in a friends 2014 M5 and its an amazing beast of a car! At the same time its a really nice luxurious family sports car. The car literally switched personalities with a push of a button on his steering wheel.

First, there are no back seats in a CLK63BS to fold down and no pass through. So your surf board needs to go on a roof rack of some type.

Second, if the M3 DCT is anything like the 2014 M5 DCT, you will most likely not like the CLK63BS MCT trans because it is definitely slower and not as smooth.

I describe the CLK63BS as a refined muscle car focused on performance and not luxury. After experiencing the M5, it has performance (straight line), luxury, and tons of technology!

I prefer to focus on the experience between the car, the road, and me when driving with some basic luxuries. For me, there is too much distraction in the M3 or M5 (technology, abundant luxuries) that take away from my experience with the road.

If you are accustom to the M3 level of experience then it may be difficult to enjoy the CLK63BS without resetting your expectations.

To each his own, of course. I'm sure other members will share their different experiences. Would be great if there was one who did this transition already and could share their views.

Happy driving in any case! ;-)
Old 11-11-2014, 10:41 PM
SMP
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts
CLK63 Black Series
Looks like we have similar tastes in cars ... have an F10 M5 as daily driver that I picked up Euro delivery last year ... before that my daily was a 997.2TT PDK and before that a E63 M6 SMG. I bought my CLK in 2007 but never used it as a daily driver ... but it could be easily driven every day.

Comparing the transmissions ... least favorite is the torque converter auto in the CLK, second the SMG in the M6, best transmissions are the DCT's in 997 and M5 ... like with SMG, DCT shifts are instantaneous, whether shifting up or down ... as soon as you flick that paddle, the gear is in. DCT is also the the most efficient as it doesn't have torque interruptions between shifts. The CLK's transmission feels ... a little more lethargic ... not the strongest feature of the car.

Technology is pretty dated in the CLK ... especially compared to my M5 ... but the 2 cars where built for different purposes anyway. The M156 is a great naturally aspirated engine and has plenty of torque right above idle, but can't hold a candle to either the M5's or 997's TT engines when it comes to straight line acceleration. Handling of the CLK is closest to the 997 ... minus the enormous amount of traction you enjoy with the 997's AWD. However, comparing pure driving characteristics, the CLK is way more involving than my 997 was ... which looks like you appreciate ... the new cars these days hardly need any "talent" to be driven fast.
Old 11-11-2014, 10:42 PM
SMP
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts
CLK63 Black Series
Originally Posted by MOFLO
I can see your dilemma, this is a tough call IMHO.

I recently rode in a friends 2014 M5 and its an amazing beast of a car! At the same time its a really nice luxurious family sports car. The car literally switched personalities with a push of a button on his steering wheel.

First, there are no back seats in a CLK63BS to fold down and no pass through. So your surf board needs to go on a roof rack of some type.

Second, if the M3 DCT is anything like the 2014 M5 DCT, you will most likely not like the CLK63BS MCT trans because it is definitely slower and not as smooth.

I describe the CLK63BS as a refined muscle car focused on performance and not luxury. After experiencing the M5, it has performance (straight line), luxury, and tons of technology!

I prefer to focus on the experience between the car, the road, and me when driving with some basic luxuries. For me, there is too much distraction in the M3 or M5 (technology, abundant luxuries) that take away from my experience with the road.

If you are accustom to the M3 level of experience then it may be difficult to enjoy the CLK63BS without resetting your expectations.

To each his own, of course. I'm sure other members will share their different experiences. Would be great if there was one who did this transition already and could share their views.

Happy driving in any case! ;-)
No MCT in the CLK ... only a torque converter
Old 11-12-2014, 12:49 PM

CLK63 AMG Black Series
Originally Posted by SMP
No MCT in the CLK ... only a torque converter
That dawned on me last night but didn't edit my post yet. Thanks for the correction! ;-)

Wondering if an AMG DCT trans can be placed into a CLK63BS... that would be great!

Has anyone tried that yet?

Last edited by MOFLO; 11-12-2014 at 01:15 PM.
Old 11-12-2014, 01:37 PM

Thanks so much for the replies guys! I'm hearing the same thing about the trans from my buddies. With all that torque maybe I won't care as much about the precision of the trans. I like to use manual mode and shift with the paddles so maybe that's a better driving experience than auto mode with the CLK? But for normal commuting I can't imagine the trans is bad in any way.

I test drive one tomorrow morning so I will have more info. Probably not going to buy the car because it's black and I want something lighter like silver or white. But it gives me the chance to feel it out.

The lack of a rear-folding seat is kind of a bummer. I'll have to see what other options are available tomorrow when I take a look. Because that's a biggy.

Another really good thing about this car is - believe it or not - it's considered a collector car and so there are some interesting financing options available. Although I like to lease since the tax deduction is better for me, even with pre-owned cars.

Anyway I'll be back with my impressions tomorrow.
Old 11-12-2014, 01:54 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 36 Likes on 31 Posts
'15 T&C & '14 SL63
I grew up driving 5 speeds and the only thing I absolutely cant stand about my CLK63 cab is the automatic transmission.

When I want to roll the torque on and power through the gear I'm in, it invariably downshifts leaving me hanging for a half second.

I end up taking control with a paddle, but even then, it wants to downshift and sometimes will still leave me hanging.

At least with a 5 speed, since I'm always shifting, then I'm always in tune with what it's doing. The automatic disconnects me fro the gears... until I need to be connected and then I have to shift mental gears first... THEN I can shift the car.

I also hate the fact that I can't declutch, use the clutch to late apply engine braking, and use the clutch to build power and spool it in abruptly.

Sure, none of these things are unnecessary when driving around. But they sure are part of what makes driving fun.
Old 11-12-2014, 02:57 PM

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
CLK63 AMG Black Series
the CLK63 BS is not a bad daily driver especially since it has an auto. others will complain about the suspension being too stiff but i dont mind it. the only negative i can think of is lack of rear seats (people can still sit in the back) and fuel economy. other things i miss is bluetooth technology for hands free talking.
Old 11-12-2014, 03:11 PM

Originally Posted by nycphotography
I grew up driving 5 speeds and the only thing I absolutely cant stand about my CLK63 cab is the automatic transmission.

When I want to roll the torque on and power through the gear I'm in, it invariably downshifts leaving me hanging for a half second.

I end up taking control with a paddle, but even then, it wants to downshift and sometimes will still leave me hanging.

At least with a 5 speed, since I'm always shifting, then I'm always in tune with what it's doing. The automatic disconnects me fro the gears... until I need to be connected and then I have to shift mental gears first... THEN I can shift the car.

I also hate the fact that I can't declutch, use the clutch to late apply engine braking, and use the clutch to build power and spool it in abruptly.

Sure, none of these things are unnecessary when driving around. But they sure are part of what makes driving fun.
With all these criticisms about the trans, I would think that someone might offer an aftermarket tuning solution, like Weistec perhaps? I know there are others that offer auto trans software tuning the enhances the shift time, among other things.

Edit: nevermind, I see that Renntech and others offer software for faster shifts/rev matching. Cool!

Originally Posted by intence
the CLK63 BS is not a bad daily driver especially since it has an auto. others will complain about the suspension being too stiff but i dont mind it. the only negative i can think of is lack of rear seats (people can still sit in the back) and fuel economy. other things i miss is bluetooth technology for hands free talking.
What MPG do you see? Looks like 12 city/19 hwy from what I saw on the 'net.

Last edited by longboarder; 11-12-2014 at 03:19 PM.
Old 11-12-2014, 08:16 PM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
CLK63 BS
[/QUOTE]What MPG do you see? Looks like 12 city/19 hwy from what I saw on the 'net.[/QUOTE]

I DD mine, 100 mile round trip everyday in a mix of DFW traffic, its great, seems to handle the bumps well, plenty of power and the trans isn't as bad as people make it out to be. On a commute who really cares, track maybe....

As far as MPG, I average 20 - 22 commuting, traffic is always heavy so I just find a lane and stay in it. Mixed normally about 16 MPG per tank.

Last edited by qjumpr; 11-12-2014 at 08:18 PM.
Old 11-12-2014, 08:38 PM

Received 107 Likes on 79 Posts
'12 C63BS "SlickTop", '08 CLK63BS, '16 E63S wagon, '12 CLS63, amongst other non-Merc toys
airstrip runs? ss3? you sound like a gringo... Mexico much?
Old 11-13-2014, 08:20 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 36 Likes on 31 Posts
'15 T&C & '14 SL63
Originally Posted by longboarder
With all these criticisms about the trans, I would think that someone might offer an aftermarket tuning solution, like Weistec perhaps? I know there are others that offer auto trans software tuning the enhances the shift time, among other things.
It's not so much this transmission as it's just ANY automatic in a sporty car. If you know how to PLAY with gears, then no automatic will ever be as much fun.

That said I love the car. It's been a long time since I actually gave a ***** about my car. For many years I drove "whatever". I LOVE THIS CAR. Daily driver? Hell yea. If you can afford to buy it and burn it to the ground, afford the maintenance, and afford the gas... absolutely drive it daily.

The world definitely takes on a different color and texture when driving this thing every day. It just FEELS RIGHT.

So don't let the old fart grumbling that they can't get a good ol' 5 speed turn you off.
Old 11-13-2014, 01:25 PM

CLK63 AMG Black Series
i see like 14 mpg haha
Old 11-13-2014, 01:32 PM

Originally Posted by 1JDM911
airstrip runs? ss3? you sound like a gringo... Mexico much?
SCCA GGringo I am

Originally Posted by nycphotography
It's not so much this transmission as it's just ANY automatic in a sporty car. If you know how to PLAY with gears, then no automatic will ever be as much fun.

That said I love the car. It's been a long time since I actually gave a ***** about my car. For many years I drove "whatever". I LOVE THIS CAR. Daily driver? Hell yea. If you can afford to buy it and burn it to the ground, afford the maintenance, and afford the gas... absolutely drive it daily.

The world definitely takes on a different color and texture when driving this thing every day. It just FEELS RIGHT.

So don't let the old fart grumbling that they can't get a good ol' 5 speed turn you off.
Saw / drove the CLK63BS this morning...gotta run now to test drive an M4 so I can't give a detailed analysis but I LOVE THIS CAR
Old 11-13-2014, 05:37 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CLK63 BS,2009 X5 E70,2015 Lexus Ct200h
SCCA GGringo I am

Saw / drove the CLK63BS this morning...gotta run now to test drive an M4 so I can't give a detailed analysis but I LOVE THIS CAR
Longboarder, I recently sold my Lab22 Turbo E46 M3 and bought a CLK63 Black Series. The car is obviously no where near as fast, and the technology is dated, it lacks a rear seat, but for what ever reason I absolutely love driving the car. Its raw but not obnoxious, its grunty/torque but controllable, and while the technology in it is only 1 year older than my X5 it feels 10 years older, but in the end I'm to busy enjoying driving it to give a **** about the nav, and clunky user interface/etc... I don't think I've enjoyed any of my cars as much as this, while I don't daily drive it I couldn't see there being any issues with daily driving it.

Edit: I've owned an E36 M3, E46 M3 and E92 M3, as well as other BMW's, etc.. I liked the E92 M3 the most as a daily but only put like 34 miles on it in 2 years because it just didn't have enough ***** (it was stock).. I wanted something that I wouldn't modify, was 'fast enough' and had tons of grunty torque and this car fit all of that well, and most of all you don't park next to 3 of them everytime you're out getting dinner.

Last edited by ZooyorQ; 11-13-2014 at 05:39 PM.
Old 11-14-2014, 12:52 PM

Originally Posted by ZooyorQ
Longboarder, I recently sold my Lab22 Turbo E46 M3 and bought a CLK63 Black Series. The car is obviously no where near as fast, and the technology is dated, it lacks a rear seat, but for what ever reason I absolutely love driving the car. Its raw but not obnoxious, its grunty/torque but controllable, and while the technology in it is only 1 year older than my X5 it feels 10 years older, but in the end I'm to busy enjoying driving it to give a **** about the nav, and clunky user interface/etc... I don't think I've enjoyed any of my cars as much as this, while I don't daily drive it I couldn't see there being any issues with daily driving it.

Edit: I've owned an E36 M3, E46 M3 and E92 M3, as well as other BMW's, etc.. I liked the E92 M3 the most as a daily but only put like 34 miles on it in 2 years because it just didn't have enough ***** (it was stock).. I wanted something that I wouldn't modify, was 'fast enough' and had tons of grunty torque and this car fit all of that well, and most of all you don't park next to 3 of them everytime you're out getting dinner.
Good to know thanks for the feedback.

I test drove the new M4 right after the CLK. Since I've already had a FBO/meth 335 it felt like my current M3 with my old 335 motor. Meh. Not a revolutionary car. In fact a slight evolution backwards except for MPG. So I didn't like it.

I have 8 months before my e92 M3 lease expires and I'm starting to track the CLK's for sale. Seems like few of them have been for sale for periods exceeding one year. So it appears to be buyers market for these at the moment.
Old 11-14-2014, 01:30 PM

2008 CLK63 Black Series; 1978 Toyota Land Cruiser; 2015 BMW R1200GSA; 2003 Porsche 996 Turbo (gone)

I test drove the new M4 right after the CLK. Since I've already had a FBO/meth 335 it felt like my current M3 with my old 335 motor. Meh. Not a revolutionary car. In fact a slight evolution backwards except for MPG. So I didn't like it.

I have 8 months before my e92 M3 lease expires and I'm starting to track the CLK's for sale. Seems like few of them have been for sale for periods exceeding one year. So it appears to be buyers market for these at the moment.
Been a buyers' market for a year or more, with prices slowly creeping downward...exception is extremely low mileage units, as they're getting scarser. That said, even the low mileage units are sitting, so the price on those will no doubt begin to drop also. Here's a low mileage (1,100) white one in FL, that's been sitting for well over a year.

http://www.extremeauto1.com/detail-2...d-3029594.html

But who knows, if these cars gain favor with collectors and enthusiasts, the prices could level out, or even rise...I hope.
Old 11-16-2014, 06:17 PM

CLK63 AMG Black Series
was nice to meet you yesterday! if you need a second look at a BS, you're more than welcome to check out mine.
Old 11-16-2014, 11:40 PM

CLK63 AMG BS

Since you drove the M4/BS back-to-back, can you share a more detailed comparison between the two? I wanted to test drive the M4 to check it off my list, but my local dealers' inventory is all accounted for, so I wouldn't be able to get one to drive on the lot probably until next year. Thx
Old 11-17-2014, 12:09 PM

Originally Posted by intence
was nice to meet you yesterday! if you need a second look at a BS, you're more than welcome to check out mine.
Very nice meeting you too A and thanks for hanging out with us and sharing all the info on the car!

Since you are looking at M3's, if you want we can meet up one day and spend time to drive each others' cars in a setting that is much better than just a "test drive". I'll let you drive the snot out of my car But be careful the boost is addictive.

Originally Posted by primecut
Since you drove the M4/BS back-to-back, can you share a more detailed comparison between the two? I wanted to test drive the M4 to check it off my list, but my local dealers' inventory is all accounted for, so I wouldn't be able to get one to drive on the lot probably until next year. Thx
The M4 is a fantastic car and is very fast. Much faster than the CLK63 black series. It's because the M4 isn't making 425 HP. More like 500 to the crank with the lightning shifts of the DCT and it weights only 3450. But it felt too much like my M3 except a motor with a powerband that revs only to 6,000 rpm. It falls off after that. Also, I just don't think it looks that great. So the things that I don't like might be perfect for somebody else that likes the way it looks and likes the fact that it has a turbo motor that makes gobs of torque and HP and is very fuel efficient.

If I already didn't have a Turbo S, I might get the M4. I just want a motor that pulls hard to red line and makes me smile. The M4 didn't do that but the CLK did.
Old 11-17-2014, 06:50 PM
1AS

CLK 63 BS
I have an 02X50tt (UMW program, PSS10's, Europipe, etc, so 500+hp), a 12c McLaren, and my CLK BS as my daily driver, now with 64,000 miles. Also a bunch of vinatge race cars, and an assortment of "normal commuter cars" for my wife.
I've owned the BS since new, and it is great. All I've done with mine is soften the shocks (went to full soft), and went with pressures lower than the door post sticker suggests (I run 34 front, 36 rear). The Zeros are not good street tires, so I run Bridgestones. (Much less "follow the grooves in the road" wiggle)
The McLaren trans is about as good as they get, but the BS is really more engaging in daily driving, primarily because of torque. I don't miss the DCT in daily driving at all. In fact, on the track, just leaving it in the S mode works out fine.
The seat, steering, torque, excellent turn-in, sound, and feel are great. Reliability has been superb (recently had my only problem, A/C compressor)
Personally, I like this degree of tech. At today's prices, I'd recommend one. Plus, compared to the exotics, service is readily available. And, the big depreciation hit is gone. Good luck. AS
Old 11-17-2014, 09:42 PM

CLK63 AMG Black Series
Very nice meeting you too A and thanks for hanging out with us and sharing all the info on the car!

Since you are looking at M3's, if you want we can meet up one day and spend time to drive each others' cars in a setting that is much better than just a "test drive". I'll let you drive the snot out of my car But be careful the boost is addictive.
sounds great! i might take you up on that offer soon!
Old 12-03-2014, 02:16 PM

CLK63 AMG Black Series, Maserati Quattroporte Sport GTS, Porsche GT3, Mercedes G55
I drive mine on a daily basis. I have two cars and never intended to daily the BS but love it too much not too. 12 months or so ago my car had 2,700 miles, now my car has 21,000ish miles. It is a great daily!
Old 12-08-2014, 09:31 PM

CLK63 AMG Black Series
If I already didn't have a Turbo S, I might get the M4. I just want a motor that pulls hard to red line and makes me smile. The M4 didn't do that but the CLK did.
What car did you end up going with?

I drive my CLK63BS everyday, makes the long day at the office a bit easier!
Old 12-10-2014, 12:36 PM

2008 CLK63 Black Series; 1978 Toyota Land Cruiser; 2015 BMW R1200GSA; 2003 Porsche 996 Turbo (gone)
Originally Posted by The Oss
I drive mine on a daily basis. I have two cars and never intended to daily the BS but love it too much not too. 12 months or so ago my car had 2,700 miles, now my car has 21,000ish miles. It is a great daily!
...and to think I felt bad putting 9K on mine last year

Search this Thread
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:
You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: CLK63 AMG as a daily driver?