CLK63 Black Series Forum & Registry Information and discussion on the W209 CLK63 AMG Black Series and Registry for all owners.

How do mods affect the value ?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-27-2016, 11:11 AM

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
CLK63 Black
How do mods affect the value ?

So I picked up my bone stock, black, BS a couple months ago. I have always done something to my vehicle to make them unique, minimum wheels and tires. First off this is the first (and probably last black car I will ever own. Just too hard to keep clean. I was thinking of doing a wrap. Either matte finish, or color change to a grey or titanium matte finish. I'd like to black out the wheels no matter what I do with the rest of the car. Performance wise, I've been looking at the Weistec ECU upgrade and "ROW" airbox upgrade. Says its good for about 50 hp and is smog legal. The last thing is the exhaust. I'd love for it to sound a bit more aggressive, but I don't want to spend the kind of money needed to change out the whole system. Has anyone simply had a muffler shop make the cats removable so they can be replace easily come smog time? Most importantly, how would these mods affect the value?

https://mbworld.org/forums/attachmen...1&d=1464361754

https://mbworld.org/forums/attachmen...1&d=1464361791
Attached Thumbnails How do mods affect the value ?-img_3443.jpg   How do mods affect the value ?-img_3461.jpg  
Old 05-27-2016, 12:20 PM

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
CLKBS
Great looking car! Isn't it a blast to drive very addictive.

In terms of exhaust I am familiar with the removal of cats and resonator. Its basically an x pipe. Shouldn't cost more then $800. The care won't sound as deep its much higher pitched sounds amazing honestly. I test drove a car that had headers and full exhaust. It was so loud

For wrapping the car it could be a benefit to help protect paint and you could just remove it once you want to sell same for the exhaust.

For engine mods I have no experience in this and feel the car doesn't need more power but curious to here other peoples inputs. I personally wouldn't touch the wheels I've passed on cars that didn't have the stock wheels.

Old 05-27-2016, 12:22 PM

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts
CLK 63 AMG Black Series, A45 AMG
For the impact on value, if you keep the OEM wheels and the wrap is really reversible, I would say none

ECU Tune and Row airboxes => +50HP seems a little excessive without the long tube headers IMHO.
Old 05-27-2016, 12:50 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2008 CLK63 Black Series; 1978 Toyota Land Cruiser; 2015 BMW R1200GSA; 2003 Porsche 996 Turbo (gone)
Originally Posted by Ron Olson
So I picked up my bone stock, black, BS a couple months ago. I have always done something to my vehicle to make them unique, minimum wheels and tires. First off this is the first (and probably last black car I will ever own. Just too hard to keep clean. I was thinking of doing a wrap. Either matte finish, or color change to a grey or titanium matte finish. I'd like to black out the wheels no matter what I do with the rest of the car. Performance wise, I've been looking at the Weistec ECU upgrade and "ROW" airbox upgrade. Says its good for about 50 hp and is smog legal. The last thing is the exhaust. I'd love for it to sound a bit more aggressive, but I don't want to spend the kind of money needed to change out the whole system. Has anyone simply had a muffler shop make the cats removable so they can be replace easily come smog time? Most importantly, how would these mods affect the value?

https://mbworld.org/forums/attachmen...1&d=1464361754

https://mbworld.org/forums/attachmen...1&d=1464361791
Issue I've found with mods...
- Your dream machine may reduce the number of interested buyers...beauty is in the eye of the beholder
- Sellers often try to re-capture money they've put into mods...mods may be of some value, or no value, depending on the buyer
- The more extreme the mods (wild paint schemes, total black-out look, etc) further limits the pool of potential buyers
- High performance, high horse-power mods make a buyer (me at least), wonder how hard the car has been flogged.
Bottom line...you can't go wrong with stock.
Old 05-27-2016, 08:03 PM

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
CLK63 Black
Originally Posted by Tex5
For the impact on value, if you keep the OEM wheels and the wrap is really reversible, I would say none

ECU Tune and Row airboxes => +50HP seems a little excessive without the long tube headers IMHO.

https://mbworld.org/forums/attachmen...1&d=1464393801
Attached Thumbnails How do mods affect the value ?-m156_ecu_tune.jpg  
Old 05-28-2016, 08:04 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2008 CLK63 Black Series
Originally Posted by stewarjm1
Issue I've found with mods...
- Your dream machine may reduce the number of interested buyers...beauty is in the eye of the beholder
- Sellers often try to re-capture money they've put into mods...mods may be of some value, or no value, depending on the buyer
- The more extreme the mods (wild paint schemes, total black-out look, etc) further limits the pool of potential buyers
- High performance, high horse-power mods make a buyer (me at least), wonder how hard the car has been flogged.
Bottom line...you can't go wrong with stock.
This ^!!... Most folks want stock cars when purchasing a black series. It comes down to whether you plan to sell the car in the near future or plan to hold onto it for a long time. If you plan to sell it, keeping the car stock is probably the way to go.
Old 05-31-2016, 12:16 AM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
CLK63BS, 991 C2S, F86 X6M
Don't black out the stock wheels! If you must go black buy something aftermarket and store the stockers.
Old 05-04-2017, 09:06 PM

Received 107 Likes on 79 Posts
'12 C63BS "SlickTop", '08 CLK63BS, '16 E63S wagon, '12 CLS63, amongst other non-Merc toys
Originally Posted by whoadude
Don't black out the stock wheels! If you must go black buy something aftermarket and store the stockers.
^i second that, i'd buy off OP's/your stock wheels if they're 100% mint, and you/OP can use that $ for whichever aftermarket wheels!