CLK63 Black Series Forum & Registry Information and discussion on the W209 CLK63 AMG Black Series and Registry for all owners.

2008 CLK63 AMG Black Series Head Bolt Issue

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-22-2016, 05:57 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2008 CLK 63 AMG Black Series
2008 CLK63 AMG Black Series Head Bolt Issue

Hello,

New to this forum but have read a ton and learned a ton reading over the years.

I have a 2008 CLK63 Black with only 25K miles and apparently 2 head bolts snapped. Mercedes of WC wants $9,700.00 to fix. Any CAL going on with this? Anyone have Mercedes pay for all/most of this? Let me know.

I bought it used with 14K and pretty much spent 10K on maintenance, replacing engine mounts and fixing some fuel pump/fuel regulator issues(gas tank). I'm pretty fed up at this point. Especially since this car is 130-40K new and its a black series. I under stand things wear out over time but a head bolt???

Also, how am I going to sell this car with a clear conscience?

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks,

Dave
Old 06-23-2016, 10:25 AM
Super Moderator

Received 715 Likes on 696 Posts
bone stock E55 AMG
moved to BS forum...
it's common issue for early M156 motors...
reputable indy shop should cost a lot less...
Old 06-23-2016, 02:01 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

CLK63 Black Series
David Miller, which city and state are you located in?
Old 06-23-2016, 02:59 PM

Concord, California. Car is at Walnut Creek Mercedes.

-Dave
Old 06-23-2016, 03:15 PM

2008 CLK63 Black Series; 1978 Toyota Land Cruiser; 2015 BMW R1200GSA; 2003 Porsche 996 Turbo (gone)
While it doesn't ease your pain, head bots aren't a common issue, but one that has been blown way out of proportion in various chat rooms and forums. A solid indie should be able to cut at least 30% off the dealer estimate. You've had a streak of bad luck...sorry for that, but overall the M156 is a solid, proven engine. As for fuel pumps/fuel filters (x2...genius integrated MB design, or not), this is a common, neglected maintenance item that many skip...replacement is part of routine schedule. If you can afford it, eat it, then enjoy a great, rare car.

I'd venture to say that you'll find few, if any, here who've had any significant issues with their cars...mine has been bullet proof since I purchased it 3yrs ago.

Good luck

Last edited by stewarjm1; 06-23-2016 at 04:11 PM.
Old 06-24-2016, 03:12 PM

Thanks for the reply Stew. I've had some magic moments on hwy 1 driving through Point Reyes in this car during the summer and taking the back roads up to Clear Lake through Lake Berryessa. I've driven many exotics and this is prob the best car I've driven. But, with it being a black series and a hand built motor and it having the Mercedes reputation, I don't think that owners should be paying for design flaw just because they can afford it. I understand the value of money. I've gone most my life without it. So no, I prefer not eat it.

Also, my service rep stated that this is a common issue with these motors. Why was I not given the option of replacing the head bolts while it was in service? Given the importance of the head bolts and the damage it can potentially do when they break, I think it would be well worth it.
Old 06-25-2016, 12:06 AM

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
CLKBS
Hey David,

Sorry to hear about all the issues you have been having. How did you know there was an issue with the head bolt?

I would also recommend an indie shop or some other members have tackled it by them selves if you are a bit handy with tools.

I don't think Mercedes cares or is even worried about older cars they are more concerned about new sales and development.

As for resale value you that should not be effected especially since you have done a nice amount of work on it, but since you enjoy the car I would just hold on to it. Prices will shoot up soon enough.
Also I would look into weistec head bolt they are supposed to be "better"

Last edited by Derekm15; 07-13-2016 at 03:42 PM.
Old 07-01-2016, 02:06 AM

CLK63 AMG BS
Doh. Sorry to hear. As others have said, there has been a few M156s with this issue, mostly with the early models before they revised it... but this is the first time I've seen a BS possibly with it. It seems like a luck of the draw deal, and I believe there was a lawsuit at some point which Mercedes unfortunately won.

The preventive measure itself is quite pricey, thus most have opted out and kept their fingers crossed (Including myself). This was a concern that initially gave me pause before I bought the car.

I would get a second opinion from a 3rd party. Did you get the usual symptoms? Low coolant, rough idle, check engine light?