CLK63 Black Series Forum & Registry Information and discussion on the W209 CLK63 AMG Black Series and Registry for all owners.

Interested in a CLK63 BS, what do you dislike about yours?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-24-2016, 04:23 AM

Received 130 Likes on 105 Posts
20' RCF, 18' NX, 09' E350, 07' Solara, 05' STi, 01' Ranger
Interested in a CLK63 BS, what do you dislike about yours?

For some reason I am really looking at this car. We have a little 05' clk320 in the garage among other vehicles and I came across a dealer that has a CLK63 BS that is about 15 minutes from my house... I am going to go check it out. Looks super clean and has about 37k miles on it. Asking price is around 60k.

Honestly what do you dislike about the clk63 bs? Looks pretty sweet and overall is not common. I heard that the downshifts are slow but everything else seems on point. Any issues long term or concerns that one needs to look at when viewing this car. I'm familiar with working on ours already and I have a lift in my garage so most of the work I will/can do (though there are exceptions)

Is there anything you'd change on it, wish you did?

Thanks,
-Nigel

Last edited by NewShockerGuy; 09-24-2016 at 05:04 AM.
Old 09-24-2016, 09:58 AM
1AS

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CLK 63 BS
I dislike nothing. I did soften the shocks to full soft, and switched tires to Bridgestones, as our corrugated cement highways were too bumpy with stock settings, tires.
I have over 70,000 miles, and am thrilled every time I drive it. Steering, exhaust note, seats can't be beat. And, I have a few exciting cars to pick from. AS
Old 09-24-2016, 11:20 AM

Received 33 Likes on 21 Posts
CLK63 BS
Mobile audio - it's antiquated. I'd have preferred the euro recaros if I had a choice, but the U.S. spec ones are more than adequate. And a throttle blip woulda been nice from the factory (actually a 6 speed manual would've been ideal). But all those things can be addressed, save for the manual transmission.
Old 09-25-2016, 11:37 AM

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
CLKBS
Originally Posted by NYC_Z06
Mobile audio - it's antiquated. I'd have preferred the euro recaros if I had a choice, but the U.S. spec ones are more than adequate. And a throttle blip woulda been nice from the factory (actually a 6 speed manual would've been ideal). But all those things can be addressed, save for the manual transmission.
I love my car transmission is a bit slow but has never bothered me . That being said it's very smoth driving around the city and highway compared to an M3 with DCT that is constaly jerking around due to the double clutch transmission.

This car is so enjoyably driving at the speed limit 30mph you feel like you are in a race car. Suspension is fantastic KW coilovers are very nice I've had them on pervious cars and like them very much over ground control which I have an on another car at the moment. A test drive will solve all your problems.

Also I have never taken my car off comfort mode no need

Last edited by Derekm15; 09-25-2016 at 12:18 PM.
Old 09-25-2016, 03:08 PM

Received 130 Likes on 105 Posts
20' RCF, 18' NX, 09' E350, 07' Solara, 05' STi, 01' Ranger
This is all very exciting! Appreciate all the honest feedback.

I did notice that the European models have different seats AND I noticed their door cards are much nicer than the leather ones that are in the US version. Their's had beautiful carbon fiber inserts and silver trimmed handles which look stunning... is there a way to even find or acquire them?

Picture 1 attached vs 2 that we currently have.

I think in reality my tastes are just changing. I have an STi in the garage. It's heavily modified, fast, handles like it's on rails but looks to be that of someone in their twenties for driving.... which was fine when I was 25 and bought it, but being 35 now it just seems like I look silly or will have more life changes at 40 than driving around in a uncomfortable loud car. Don't get me wrong I LOVE my STi, I just don't drive it because everything that I have done now it really does deserve to be on a track, it's just not prepped properly for the streets or more than a 40 minute drive...lol So the clk63 amg bs would be taking it's place in the garage as a high hp fun but comfortable car. I joked at tell my wife that the current clk we have looks too girly, and it does. I don't have a problem with it and honestly the v6 is more than adequate, but there is just something about AMG that has always intrigued me. I don't feel like the new ones ring me in like the older AMG stuff does.

Are there things I need to specifically look at for this car when I go look at it this week? Areas of wear and tear, things that are a known issue? My biggest fear is the dreaded "Used AMG", no warranty. IE: Spending $60k for a used almost 10 year old possible grenade. (I don't mean that disrespectfully)

Showed the AMG BS to my wife and she said wow, that's a nice looking car, haha!

EDIT: I found this site for carbon fiber bits for the interior:
https://www.macarbon.com/index.php?o...ed=1&Itemid=99

Are they any good, anyone have feedback about them as far as quality?
-Nigel
Attached Thumbnails Interested in a CLK63 BS, what do you dislike about yours?-mb_clk63bs8_1.jpg   Interested in a CLK63 BS, what do you dislike about yours?-merc2008.jpg  

Last edited by NewShockerGuy; 09-25-2016 at 03:25 PM.
Old 09-25-2016, 03:35 PM

2008 CLK63 Black Series; 1978 Toyota Land Cruiser; 2015 BMW R1200GSA; 2003 Porsche 996 Turbo (gone)
Best I've Ever Owned...

Originally Posted by NewShockerGuy
For some reason I am really looking at this car. We have a little 05' clk320 in the garage among other vehicles and I came across a dealer that has a CLK63 BS that is about 15 minutes from my house... I am going to go check it out. Looks super clean and has about 37k miles on it. Asking price is around 60k.

Honestly what do you dislike about the clk63 bs? Looks pretty sweet and overall is not common. I heard that the downshifts are slow but everything else seems on point. Any issues long term or concerns that one needs to look at when viewing this car. I'm familiar with working on ours already and I have a lift in my garage so most of the work I will/can do (though there are exceptions)

Is there anything you'd change on it, wish you did?

Thanks,
-Nigel
IMO, nothing in this price range gives the same visceral driving experience as the Black. This is after owning a 911 Turbo, RS4, S5 and M3. Not the latest tech, but that isn't what this car is about...it's about being on a twisty, two lane road, with your windows down listening to that sweet engine revving, barking when you let off the gas and a big grin on your face that won't go away.

Last edited by stewarjm1; 09-25-2016 at 03:38 PM.
Old 09-26-2016, 11:27 AM

Received 33 Likes on 21 Posts
CLK63 BS
Originally Posted by stewarjm1
IMO, nothing in this price range gives the same visceral driving experience as the Black. This is after owning a 911 Turbo, RS4, S5 and M3. Not the latest tech, but that isn't what this car is about...it's about being on a twisty, two lane road, with your windows down listening to that sweet engine revving, barking when you let off the gas and a big grin on your face that won't go away.
I think that sums it up precisely. IMO, you'd have to spend a lot more for something as entertaining as this.
Old 09-27-2016, 01:30 AM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
CLK63 AMG Black Series
Originally Posted by stewarjm1
^^^ +1 Absolutely!
Old 09-29-2016, 04:15 AM

CLK63 AMG BS
At around that mileage, in terms of issues, you should be looking for fuel pump and speed sensor (But it's important to note that both issues are not specific to the BS). And there is a big service at 40k.

The transmission (In manual mode) is the biggest weakness for the car, but the throttle blip upgrade makes a HUGE difference. I would say that the shift mapping in auto (Sport) for spirited driving is super aggressive and the car seems to be able to predict your gears quite accurately.

Outside of that and the tech (As mentioned above you don't buy this car for tech)... you won't get this much car for anything under 100k. I've been exploring "whats next" and nothing comes close unless you are doubling the price.
Old 09-30-2016, 04:26 PM

Received 70 Likes on 42 Posts
AMG GTS, Ford Raptor and Tesla Model 3 dual motor
Originally Posted by NewShockerGuy
This is all very exciting! Appreciate all the honest feedback.

I did notice that the European models have different seats AND I noticed their door cards are much nicer than the leather ones that are in the US version. Their's had beautiful carbon fiber inserts and silver trimmed handles which look stunning... is there a way to even find or acquire them?

Picture 1 attached vs 2 that we currently have.

I think in reality my tastes are just changing. I have an STi in the garage. It's heavily modified, fast, handles like it's on rails but looks to be that of someone in their twenties for driving.... which was fine when I was 25 and bought it, but being 35 now it just seems like I look silly or will have more life changes at 40 than driving around in a uncomfortable loud car. Don't get me wrong I LOVE my STi, I just don't drive it because everything that I have done now it really does deserve to be on a track, it's just not prepped properly for the streets or more than a 40 minute drive...lol So the clk63 amg bs would be taking it's place in the garage as a high hp fun but comfortable car. I joked at tell my wife that the current clk we have looks too girly, and it does. I don't have a problem with it and honestly the v6 is more than adequate, but there is just something about AMG that has always intrigued me. I don't feel like the new ones ring me in like the older AMG stuff does.

Are there things I need to specifically look at for this car when I go look at it this week? Areas of wear and tear, things that are a known issue? My biggest fear is the dreaded "Used AMG", no warranty. IE: Spending $60k for a used almost 10 year old possible grenade. (I don't mean that disrespectfully)

Showed the AMG BS to my wife and she said wow, that's a nice looking car, haha!

EDIT: I found this site for carbon fiber bits for the interior:
https://www.macarbon.com/index.php?o...ed=1&Itemid=99

Are they any good, anyone have feedback about them as far as quality?
-Nigel
MACarbon is one of the best and I have several pieces from them. In fact the red start button is my car.
Old 10-01-2016, 01:00 AM

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
CLK63 AMG Black Series
transmission, specifically inability to rev match downshift.