Clothing Forum to discuss clothing of all types from off the rack to custom tailored.

Bespoke/Custom Shirts....

Old 03-02-2009, 09:09 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts
new balance
Bespoke/Custom Shirts....

After getting my first custom shirt last year, I can no longer purchase from the rack. Nothing fits like a shirt made just for your measurements, along with what seems an almost infinite selection of fabric swatches to choose from. I got a blue french cuff Borelli, despite the $500.00 price tag for a single shirt, it fits like a glove and the quality is beyond that of any of my other shirts. I just ordered 5 more this weekend that should be done soon. Anyone else get their shirts custom made?

Jay
Old 03-02-2009, 09:28 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
A few toys
Hey Jay, nothing fits quite like a bespoke shirt. I typically have mine done with no pocket, french cuff and monogram on the left cuff.
Old 03-02-2009, 10:42 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
John Deere
I had to go to a meeting with an Asian client a few years back, and what was supposed to be one day turned into 3 days. I only brought one dress shirt with me - in a color everyone would notice if worn repeatedly.
I didn't have time for an extensive shopping venture (18-inch necks are not something you find off the rack in most Asian shopping centers), so I went to the hotel tailor shop and had 3 shirts custom made overnight. Fantastic!

I vastly overpaid, but had no choice. I think it was around $190 for the three.
Old 03-02-2009, 10:45 AM
Banned

A few toys
$190 for three is great. I have a few colleagues who travel to Asia often on business and they always have shirts and suits made while there. I'm envious when I hear the prices.
Old 03-02-2009, 10:59 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

John Deere
Originally Posted by Stryke
$190 for three is great. I have a few colleagues who travel to Asia often on business and they always have shirts and suits made while there. I'm envious when I hear the prices.
If I had time, I could have found a custom tailor to do it for less than half that, but I was at the mercy of a tailor located in the lobby of a 5-star hotel.
Old 03-02-2009, 11:23 AM
Banned

A few toys
You're right. In a hotel where they cater to tourists the prices will be significantly higher than local rates. Applies to just about any place on Earth. Still a bargain by American standards.
Old 03-02-2009, 11:40 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
2003 S210 3.8L Brabus wagon
Brooks Brothers charges $150 per shirt with french cuffs and monogram. I buy my shirts there and have done so for for long time. Great selection and the quality is a great fit. No, I do not work for them but was stuck in need of an extra shirt for out of town meeting and they were closest option at the time. Asian tailor used to come to town each year in Boston and take fitments. Shirts were delivered in three weeks and quality was excellent. Price was better too.
Old 03-02-2009, 11:49 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
1999 C280
Originally Posted by JAYCL600
After getting my first custom shirt last year, I can no longer purchase from the rack. Nothing fits like a shirt made just for your measurements, along with what seems an almost infinite selection of fabric swatches to choose from. I got a blue french cuff Borelli, despite the $500.00 price tag for a single shirt, it fits like a glove and the quality is beyond that of any of my other shirts. I just ordered 5 more this weekend that should be done soon. Anyone else get their shirts custom made?

Jay
In my opinion, paying full price for "Luxury" clothing is an absolute ripoff. You want A shirt that fits you like a glove? One can be had for 50-60 dollars with excellent cloth and all the requirements you want.
Take a look at mytailor and Jantzen.
Old 03-02-2009, 04:18 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Mercedes
I get mine at The Shirt Store in NYC. They have a wide array of fabrics that start at around $140.

For dress I do french cuff(they make my left cuff bigger to comfortably fit my watch ), no pocket, spread collar with the mono on my left elbow (an asian thing) with what I call the superman fit.

For casual I do a button collar with double button cuffs with a more relaxed fit I call it Clark Kent.

I actually donated all my shirts that are not custom because I just didn't want to wear them. Its like watching standard def now I'm just not going to do it.

They make an excellent gift also, you can pick out the fabric, and they put it in a nice box. The can exchange the fabric if they don't like it, but you ensure that they will get a custom shirt.
Old 03-02-2009, 04:31 PM
Banned

A few toys
In the 90's I worked on Wall St. and got a few at the Shirt Store down on Broadway and Trinity as well.
Old 03-04-2009, 12:33 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Mercedes
got an email today from the shirt store $95 if you order 3 or more custom shirts.
Old 03-04-2009, 01:00 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

John Deere
How do you give a custom shirt as a gift? I think it would be quite awkward to walk up to my Uncle and wrap a measuring tape around his chest. Sort of hard to explain away.
Old 03-04-2009, 01:06 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Mercedes
Originally Posted by Mister Brenton
How do you give a custom shirt as a gift? I think it would be quite awkward to walk up to my Uncle and wrap a measuring tape around his chest. Sort of hard to explain away.
no you just pick out the fabric and they give you that in a gift box. They then have to go to the store for measurements.
Old 03-04-2009, 04:17 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
00 MB ML55, 91 Toyota Supra Turbo(sold), 06 E500(gone), 03 BMW M3
you know, I have actually been meaning to ask this question... I have been buying shirts and just recently finally got annoyed that they dont fit me... All my shirts are always "puffy" and I realized because they arent for me...

I have a 20-20.5" neck... I am no small man... but I am not a fat *** either so I am forced to have my shirts tailored... so when you add in the cost of a shirt plus tailoring... its at the very least $100 if I buy sale items...

Going to have to have suits made soon too... I wear a size 54R jacket but again... I dont have even half the girth to fill them out... Last summer I purchased 3 new suits... and the tailors were having a NIGHTMARE of a time getting them cut to look half way right... one of the suits the tailor told me he took apart completely, as if it was a brand new suit...

More info on that 3 custom shirts for $300 please
Old 03-04-2009, 04:47 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Santa Cruz Blur
Originally Posted by 55fanatic
you know, I have actually been meaning to ask this question... I have been buying shirts and just recently finally got annoyed that they dont fit me... All my shirts are always "puffy" and I realized because they arent for me...

I have a 20-20.5" neck... I am no small man... but I am not a fat *** either so I am forced to have my shirts tailored... so when you add in the cost of a shirt plus tailoring... its at the very least $100 if I buy sale items...

Going to have to have suits made soon too... I wear a size 54R jacket but again... I dont have even half the girth to fill them out... Last summer I purchased 3 new suits... and the tailors were having a NIGHTMARE of a time getting them cut to look half way right... one of the suits the tailor told me he took apart completely, as if it was a brand new suit...

I hear you, I am a 48L and have a 35 inch waist. Most of the pants that come with a suit are 44, so they have to completely recut the pants and build them correctly. Sucks, but life is tough when you are outside of the norm. I also know what you mean about the shirts. I have to get XXL for my height, but the body is just huge. Best bet for off the rack for me is Faconable XLL. I refuse to shop at the big and tall store. I am possibly going to get some stuff from Tom James, I have a cousin who works there and he would hook me up. They make some quality stuff and all custom size.
Old 03-04-2009, 05:00 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

John Deere
Clothing manufacturers seem to think that an 18" neck means you weigh 400 lbs. Last time I had a suit pant tailored, the guy said to me "You lose a lot of weight recently?"
Old 03-04-2009, 06:13 PM

fleet vehicle
I had to go to a meeting with an Asian client a few years back, and what was supposed to be one day turned into 3 days. I only brought one dress shirt with me - in a color everyone would notice if worn repeatedly.
I didn't have time for an extensive shopping venture (18-inch necks are not something you find off the rack in most Asian shopping centers), so I went to the hotel tailor shop and had 3 shirts custom made overnight. Fantastic!

I vastly overpaid, but had no choice. I think it was around $190 for the three.
18 inch neck? your head must be HUGE!
Old 03-04-2009, 07:32 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

John Deere
Originally Posted by qianlimoro
So big it flops over onto my shoulder without a brace.
Old 03-04-2009, 09:38 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts
Eurocharged 2004 E500, Eurocharged ECU/TCU 2005 SL600, 2010 Caddy SwaggerWagon
You should try giving custom boxer shorts instead. Tell us how that works out for you.

Clothing manufacturers seem to think that an 18" neck means you weigh 400 lbs. Last time I had a suit pant tailored, the guy said to me "You lose a lot of weight recently?"
I have a 15 1/2" - 16", depending on time of year, and weigh in at a whopping 165lbs - all fat.
Old 03-05-2009, 01:31 AM
Out Of Control!!

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
00 MB ML55, 91 Toyota Supra Turbo(sold), 06 E500(gone), 03 BMW M3
Originally Posted by Benz-O-Rama
You should try giving custom boxer shorts instead. Tell us how that works out for you.

I have a 15 1/2" - 16", depending on time of year, and weigh in at a whopping 165lbs - all fat.
Just an observation Im going to make here... but Clay your neck is about an inch or two bigger then my forearm and about 2 or 3" smaller then my bicep, lol
Old 03-09-2009, 02:06 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Mercedes
Originally Posted by 55fanatic

you would have to come to NYC to have it done.
I'm a 44L jkt 17" neck and 32" waist. my shirts would be all baggy at the waist to I hate it thats why I have my shirts made.
Old 03-10-2009, 12:43 AM

1993 190E 2.6
Originally Posted by qianlimoro
Old 03-11-2009, 07:18 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

John Deere
Which one is Philip?
Old 06-09-2010, 06:08 AM

Audi TT
Hi everyone,
I would like to buy a tailored shirt from some e-tailor shop, but I feel a little bit sceptical about the quality. I come across some e-shops that offer shirts made to measure
with a low price (from 30 to 50 $), apparently and according to the description the workmanship and fabrics are excellent.

Can anyone suggest me a good e-tailor shop?

Thanks
Old 07-27-2010, 10:27 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'05 C200K SS, '05 Kleemann CLK500K, '08 Hummer H3 & '92 Z34 5sp (track car in Canada)
I've been buying nothing but tailored shirts, pants and suits for years - thanks to my Dad. I grew up in SE Asia and he had a tailor in Bangkok, 25 years later we are still both going to the same guy. When I was back in Canada we would send measurments and he would send the clothes, now that I am living in Dubai (past 4 years)I get out to SE Asia 4 or more times a year and get them when I'm there.

As long as I can, I will never wear anything but tailored - the fit is perfect and the quality is second to none.

Search this Thread
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:
You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.