Possible 2012 CLS550 4matic Purchase?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-10-2016, 07:02 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Acura
Question Possible 2012 CLS550 4matic Purchase?

I am negotiating right now on a decently low mileage (under 40k miles) 2012 CLS550 4matic, with the AMG "sport trim" package (I think this is really just the wheels?), rear park assist, massage/contour seat, blind spot monitoring. One owner car, lease return. I normally try to avoid the first year of a "new" model introduction or revision, just to allow a bit of time for any quirks and bugs to be worked out and improvements to be made, but alas with the current pricing on the 2013+ models that puts them outside of my range.

Should I be holding off for a while until the 2013's come down a bit on the used market? Or is the 2012 still a reasonably safe bet to be problem free? I'm not really bothered with the higher cost of typical wear and tear repairs (this comes with the territory in this caliber of car) but more worried about chronic problems that may be expensive or serious headaches to resolve. This one isn't being sold thru an MB dealer, so it will only have the remaining factory warranty from its in-service date which gives me about 5 months to go before the 4yrs is up.
Old 02-11-2016, 05:34 AM
OBP

Received 26 Likes on 20 Posts
Lexus SC430, CLS550 4matic, GLK350 4matic, Volvo XC90 T8, E63 S AMG
Assuming it is an AMG Wheel package, it should have either 18 or 19 inch AMG wheels, I think a flat bottom leather steering wheel ( or if a wood steering wheel was ordered then no flat bottom steering wheel ), and a transmission selector near the cupholders for Sport, Regular or Eco ( three levels ). Without the wheel package, the trans selector should have only two levels.

Dunno about 12s vs 13s but from 14 onwards, they included guidelines in the rear view camera.

Chk to make sure your park assist is both front and rear.

Pls get it checked out thoroughly at an MB dealer.

Nice to see you on this forum. I remember your handle from Acurazine. I used to have an RL and still have an MDX. Hope this works out.
Old 02-11-2016, 10:56 AM

Acura
Thanks! Still have my RL but looking to get something a bit newer still with AWD. I test drove a CLS550 RWD last year and really liked it, well once I got used to the column shifter setup LOL
Old 02-12-2016, 06:44 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2012 CLS550 4Matic
I have a 2012 cls550 4Matic with the AMG option package too. As the other poster stated, definitely more than just the wheels.
Mine had about 26k miles, also off lease. CPO. Is yours CPO? Maybe extend the warranty if you are concerned.
I've had mine about 5 months and 6,000 miles so far and it has been great.
Old 02-14-2016, 02:47 PM

Acura
Not CPO. The interesting thing is when I checked the local MB dealer and they ran the VIN, the previous (first) owner bought an extended warranty. MB will allow this to transfer to me (with a fee of a few hundred $$) but only if the car is sold to me thru an MB dealer. The dealer that has the car for sale isn't an MB dealer, but they apparently own a nearby MB dealer in their network. I'm not sure if they will want to do the inventory transfer though, will have to see if they can work this angle as I start negotiating with them.
Old 02-16-2016, 09:51 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2012 CLS550 4Matic
Well, after having my wife's 2009 GL450 4Matic to the dealer yesterday for a check engine light and a funky-acting HVAC system that turned out to be the thermostat assembly, the bill was well over $600.00. We bought the GL last year, used, at the Land Rover dealer which is also owned by the Mercedes dealership. I never thought to check for a prior-owner's extended warranty and having the car transferred to the MB dealer. DO IT.

I can tell you right now. I love my CLS and I have the CPO warranty till July 2017 and the option to add 1 or 2 more years BUT if either of these lovely Mercedes start/keep costing me $500, $600, $1000 here and there.........bye bye. They will no longer make financial sense. I know stuff happens. I'm a car guy who owns/owned/restored/maintained many but there's a big difference between replacing a thermostat for $200 versus $600.

Don't mean to thread jack. Get a Warranty or look at something else. These cars are too expensive and complex.
Old 02-18-2016, 05:40 AM
OBP

Received 26 Likes on 20 Posts
Lexus SC430, CLS550 4matic, GLK350 4matic, Volvo XC90 T8, E63 S AMG
Yeah on all kinds of regular service and even minor repairs, I think you're supposed to use an independent mechanic that knows MB rather than go to the dealer. With dealer service, it really should be just for warranty items. Both our MBs have the max extended warranty we could get whilst the Lexus is running with no ext warranty for the last 4 years and did not cost me anything other than regular scheduled maintenance costs ( at an independent shop ).