2016/2017 CLS550 4Matic

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-31-2016, 11:26 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
435i
2016/2017 CLS550 4Matic

Hey guys,

I am a newbie here. Coming from BMW 435i.

I am currently searching to get into a lease on this Benz.

It doesn't seem to be lots of data on this car out there.

So perhaps anyone with knowledge can impart it on me, and perhaps some owners can also enlighten me with their first hand experience.
Thanks!

I would like to know how this vehicle is in terms of performance and luxury.
Is this a fast vehicle, is it fun to drive and is it spirited? MB claims its only 4.8-4.9 0-60. I would assume it is faster than that since its 4 matic. It would be excellent if it is quicker than my 435i. I am looking for something powerful, and luxurious, with 4 doors.
How is the interior quality and refinement?
Is the 4matic suspension air suspension? How is this suspension in corners and over potholes?
Can the suspension be raised and lowered (is there a button?), as in the Audi S7?
Does it have a front view camera? Can the 360 degree (top view) camera be toggled for different views?
Is the rear room that cramped, as some folks claim?
Does it seem that the AC is a little outdated, without the LCD screen to show the actual temperature number instead of the turn circle?

Is this CLS 550 considered a true luxury Benz, or is it more of a entry level 4 door coupe (sort of the C class when compared to E class)?

Sorry guys for so many questions, but I simply fell in love with this vehicle when I accidently saw it on the street. And am beginning my research. Did not mean to offend anyone with so many questions.

Thanks guys!!!
Old 10-31-2016, 01:43 PM

Received 34 Likes on 28 Posts
2017 CLS550
I purchased a 2017 CLS550 a couple weeks ago and I have had a ball driving it through the back roads out here in the sticks of E. Texas. The roads are winding and in excellent condition which makes it really fun (and no police!). I wanted an E class but the four cylinder was all that was offered and I did not want to pay that kind of money on a luxury saloon with only a four banger, no matter how refined the motor is. The engine in the CLS 550 is the time tested W278 V8. It is the best motor MB makes short of AMG.

The figures you show are what MB claim but I think it is a bit quicker than that and the hp/torque are also on the conservative side. You must put the car in sport mode to get the full benefit of it as a driver's car. Comfort mode and it is a luxury sedan (or four door "coupe"). There are luxury features galore so don't think it is an entry class luxury car, especially when you consider it is around $90,000 with most of the options. Keep in mind, the CLS is a step above the E class and a step below the S class. Actually, it is a class in itself and has retained its individuality even though many of the MB classes all look alike these days. It does not compete with either the S or E class, which are luxury saloons. The CLS is a potent sports luxury vehicle and stands alone in that regard in the MB line (unless you move to AMG).

You asked about lowering/raising the suspension and the answer is yes, there is a button to do so. You also asked about the camera and you can put it on the overhead view anytime via the Command system (vehicle sub menu). There are probably other such features with the camera but I am just learning everything and have not explored it fully. In fact, I'm still playing with the Parktronic and Park Assist features which I will never use but want to see what they are all about. Pretty amazing stuff although I have not parallel parked in 25 years! I would not have ordered this feature but it came with the car.

The CLS started an entire luxury segment several years ago - the four door coupe. Since then many manufacturers have copied it and perhaps a few have even improved on it. However, it remains one of the best looking cars on the road today and is timeless in design. As engine displacements become lower and the MB classes continue to look alike, the CLS will remain an admirable aberration in the world of luxury cars.

You will not be disappointed with the CLS550 as long as you do not need a big back seat. Yes, it is a bit cramped back there but I've seen worse. If you haul big adults often you should not get this car but if it is only you and your wife and a kid or two it will be just fine. In my case, it is just Judi and I and very seldom do we have passengers. Good luck and let us know what you decide to buy.
The following 2 users liked this post by shortspark:
BDWonder (10-31-2016), Tbbt CLS (03-24-2022)
Old 10-31-2016, 02:02 PM

435i
Originally Posted by shortspark
I purchased a 2017 CLS550 a couple weeks ago and I have had a ball driving it through the back roads out here in the sticks of E. Texas. The roads are winding and in excellent condition which makes it really fun (and no police!). I wanted an E class but the four cylinder was all that was offered and I did not want to pay that kind of money on a luxury saloon with only a four banger, no matter how refined the motor is. The engine in the CLS 550 is the time tested W278 V8. It is the best motor MB makes short of AMG.

The figures you show are what MB claim but I think it is a bit quicker than that and the hp/torque are also on the conservative side. You must put the car in sport mode to get the full benefit of it as a driver's car. Comfort mode and it is a luxury sedan (or four door "coupe"). There are luxury features galore so don't think it is an entry class luxury car, especially when you consider it is around $90,000 with most of the options. Keep in mind, the CLS is a step above the E class and a step below the S class. Actually, it is a class in itself and has retained its individuality even though many of the MB classes all look alike these days. It does not compete with either the S or E class, which are luxury saloons. The CLS is a potent sports luxury vehicle and stands alone in that regard in the MB line (unless you move to AMG).

You asked about lowering/raising the suspension and the answer is yes, there is a button to do so. You also asked about the camera and you can put it on the overhead view anytime via the Command system (vehicle sub menu). There are probably other such features with the camera but I am just learning everything and have not explored it fully. In fact, I'm still playing with the Parktronic and Park Assist features which I will never use but want to see what they are all about. Pretty amazing stuff although I have not parallel parked in 25 years! I would not have ordered this feature but it came with the car.

The CLS started an entire luxury segment several years ago - the four door coupe. Since then many manufacturers have copied it and perhaps a few have even improved on it. However, it remains one of the best looking cars on the road today and is timeless in design. As engine displacements become lower and the MB classes continue to look alike, the CLS will remain an admirable aberration in the world of luxury cars.

You will not be disappointed with the CLS550 as long as you do not need a big back seat. Yes, it is a bit cramped back there but I've seen worse. If you haul big adults often you should not get this car but if it is only you and your wife and a kid or two it will be just fine. In my case, it is just Judi and I and very seldom do we have passengers. Good luck and let us know what you decide to buy.

Thank you so much!!! Much gratitude for the awesome reply.
The following users liked this post:
Tbbt CLS (03-24-2022)
Old 10-31-2016, 08:35 PM

435i

Thank you again.
would you know what type of material is used on the dash and the window dash (where you would rest your arm when window is completely opened)? Where exactly is the leather in this car/ which areas are leather covered?

And would you know how much the airmatic suspension rises and lowers? 10mm? An inch
​​​​​​perhaps? I cant find these answers anywhere.
Can you adjust the suspension and the engine separately, as in, suspension in comfort mode and engine or etc in sport? Not sure if there are modes like that, which one can individually select.
can you please post some pictures of interior and exterior of your beauty?

man this car is gorgeous, how do you ever go home and not stay in the car...or just drive it nonstop
​​
thanks again!

Last edited by BDWonder; 10-31-2016 at 08:44 PM.
Old 10-31-2016, 09:20 PM

2017 CLS550
Leather is everywhere. I can't determine where (other than the lower door panels) where there is no leather. Where you would normally place your arm with the window down is about an inch and a half wide leather and so is the entire dash (at least it looks that way) although I did not get a leather smell when I sniffed close to it. It is stitched and looks much different than MB Tex so I have to assume it is all leather.

The suspension lowers or raises in increments which can be seen in the command screen when the "vehicle" sub menu is selected. The increments are not really noticeable so I do not believe they raise or lower the suspension that much. Most of it is automatic depending on driver selected mode (sport or normal and also "M" or manual) and on the speed of the car. The car will raise/lower automatically depending on your speed such as if you are doing over 70 mph or sustained speed of 55 mph over a three minute period. I don't pay any attention to it and only raise it manually if I am riding over rough terrain (this is a very low slung car).

As far as mode is concerned you have the option in sport mode to place the car in a comfort or sport suspension. If I put the motor and transmission in "sport", I almost always put the suspension in sport as well, although it is a tad smoother leaving it in the default position of "comfort". All these factors contribute to what the car decides is the best "height" to be in at any given time.

As you know, by placing the car in sport mode, the gears move up in the rpm range and their sequence and shift points are much quicker. For example, in comfort or "E" mode, the car cruises effortlessly at 70 mph in 9th gear and at only around 1500 rpms (almost diesel like). Sports mode revs it up in lower gears and nearly doubles the rpms at that speed. Likewise, the car is hunkered down automatically in this mode and speed. I have not tried "M" (manual) with the paddle shifts yet and probably won't since this great new 9 speed auto tranny is so precise and quick and I am so old and slow! If you are a real driving enthusiast you will probably enjoy playing with the paddles.

You are correct - it is hard not to want to just jump in this thing and drive, drive, drive! I am retired and live in the country so there is ample opportunity to do that but I also love seeing it in the garage. I fancy myself a hobbyist detailer so I am constantly loving on the car with washes, bug removers, wax and quick detailers. Rubbing on the car puts me nearly as close to it as driving it but that is where the fun really is, in part because the sound of this engine in sports mode is priceless. You won't get anywhere near that growl and symphony with the E class four cylinder thats for sure!

There is a lot to love about this car but as I told you before, be sure you do not need a lot of room in the back seat. The front is great for most people but the rear can be cramped, and even uncomfortable for many adults over a long trip. The trunk is not huge either but big enough for most chores and shopping. It is very comfortable in comfort mode but the road is noticeable in sports mode for sure and I suppose that is how it was intended to be. As I said, this is two very different cars depending on what mode you are using and how you are driving it. Once again, good luck with your selection and I will try to post a couple pictures below (you may have to click on the thumbnails to enlarge the photos).
Attached Thumbnails 2016/2017 CLS550 4Matic-celine-005-800x600-.jpg   2016/2017 CLS550 4Matic-celine-006-800x600-.jpg   2016/2017 CLS550 4Matic-celine-007-800x600-.jpg   2016/2017 CLS550 4Matic-celine-001-800x600-.jpg  

Last edited by shortspark; 10-31-2016 at 09:26 PM.
Old 10-31-2016, 09:28 PM

435i
Leather is everywhere. I can't determine where (other than the lower door panels) where there is no leather. Where you would normally place your arm with the window down is about an inch and a half wide leather and so is the entire dash (at least it looks that way) although I did not get a leather smell when I sniffed close to it. It is stitched and looks much different than MB Tex so I have to assume it is all leather.

The suspension lowers or raises in increments which can be seen in the command screen when the "vehicle" sub menu is selected. The increments are not really noticeable so I do not believe they raise or lower the suspension that much. Most of it is automatic depending on driver selected mode (sport or normal and also "M" or manual) and on the speed of the car. The car will raise/lower automatically depending on your speed such as if you are doing over 70 mph or sustained speed of 55 mph over a three minute period. I don't pay any attention to it and only raise it manually if I am riding over rough terrain (this is a very low slung car).

As far as mode is concerned you have the option in sport mode to place the car in a comfort or sport suspension. If I put the motor and transmission in "sport", I almost always put the suspension in sport as well, although it is a tad smoother leaving it in the default position of "comfort". All these factors contribute to what the car decides is the best "height" to be in at any given time.

As you know, by placing the car in sport mode, the gears move up in the rpm range and their sequence and shift points are much quicker. For example, in comfort or "E" mode, the car cruises effortlessly at 70 mph in 9th gear and at only around 1500 rpms (almost diesel like). Sports mode revs it up in lower gears and nearly doubles the rpms at that speed. Likewise, the car is hunkered down automatically in this mode and speed. I have not tried "M" (manual) with the paddle shifts yet and probably won't since this great new 9 speed auto tranny is so precise and quick and I am so old and slow! If you are a real driving enthusiast you will probably enjoy playing with the paddles.

You are correct - it is hard not to want to just jump in this thing and drive, drive, drive! I am retired an live in the country so there is ample opportunity to do that but I also love seeing it in the garage. I fancy myself a hobbyist detailer so I am constantly loving on the car with washes, bug removers, wax and quick detailers. Rubbing on the car puts me nearly as close to it as driving it but that is where the fun really is, in part because the sound of this engine in sports mode is priceless. You won't get anywhere near that growl and symphony with the E class four cylinder thats for sure!

There is a lot to love about this car but as I told you before, be sure you do not need a lot of room in the back seat. The front is great for most people but the rear can be cramped, and even uncomfortable for many adults over a long trip. The trunk is not huge either but big enough for most chores and shopping. It is very comfortable in comfort mode but the road is noticeable in sports mode for sure and I suppose that is how it was intended to be. As I said, this is two very different cars depending on what mode you are using and how you are driving it. Once again, good luck with your selection and I will try to post a couple pictures below (you may have to click on the thumbnails to enlarge the photos).
thank you so much for the info!! I am just way too anxious now to obtain this vehicle. I too detail my cars and love peeking at it from the window. Buying up all kinds of chemicals. I would love to be able to get this vehicle. I need to test drive it now at my own peril since i know ill fall in love with it.
​​​​​​you've been a great help and i greatly appreciate your time.

​​​​​​​Thanks!
Tbbt CLS (03-24-2022)
Old 10-31-2016, 10:00 PM

2017 CLS550
I'll give you a tip if you like to detail and if you select diamond white for your color (a color I think is made for this design). Bring home from the dealer untouched, ie, don't let them even wash it or put any coating on it. Clay and wash. Then use P21S Paintwork Cleanser as you will only need to chemically clean the paint, not correct it with any abrasive polish. Your last step product should be another German brand, Sonax Polymer Net Shield. A few days later top it with Sonax Brilliant Shine Detailer and touch it up after every two or three washes with this Detailer. You will find the paint will pop and glimmer better than virtually any other wax or sealant and the protection will last over six months, especially if the car is garage kept.

My previous vehicle was a diamond white ML350 and I used these products time and again with excellent results. There may be many other excellent products to use on this paint but Sonax has always worked well for me.

And another thing, if you want the ultimate performance from the CLS but do not want to spend the money on AMG, you can get a tune for around three thousand dollars that will match the AMG version of this car. Look in the CLS section for the thread, it is there somewhere.
Old 11-01-2016, 04:18 PM

435i
I'll give you a tip if you like to detail and if you select diamond white for your color (a color I think is made for this design). Bring home from the dealer untouched, ie, don't let them even wash it or put any coating on it. Clay and wash. Then use P21S Paintwork Cleanser as you will only need to chemically clean the paint, not correct it with any abrasive polish. Your last step product should be another German brand, Sonax Polymer Net Shield. A few days later top it with Sonax Brilliant Shine Detailer and touch it up after every two or three washes with this Detailer. You will find the paint will pop and glimmer better than virtually any other wax or sealant and the protection will last over six months, especially if the car is garage kept.

My previous vehicle was a diamond white ML350 and I used these products time and again with excellent results. There may be many other excellent products to use on this paint but Sonax has always worked well for me.

And another thing, if you want the ultimate performance from the CLS but do not want to spend the money on AMG, you can get a tune for around three thousand dollars that will match the AMG version of this car. Look in the CLS section for the thread, it is there somewhere.

thanks for the tips! On my previous vehicle, I tried to have the car to be sent to me without the dealership washing it and etc, didn't work. They did it anyway. I'll def try the Sonax. cant wait.

As for the tune, I am always afraid of voiding the warranty, and something major in the car will break.
Old 11-01-2016, 04:45 PM

2017 CLS550
You're right, the warranty is a big issue and I would not get the tune myself unless I bought a used CLS. Heck, this car is fast enough as is. You might want to read Kelley Blue Book's information page for the 2016 model. Most of it is still applicable because the car has not changed significantly. Quite a few user reviews there as well but I do not think many of them are of the 2017 or 2016. Here is the link:
http://www.kbb.com/mercedes-benz/cls-class/2016/#survey
BDWonder (11-01-2016)
Old 11-01-2016, 05:37 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
CLS 350 CGI 2008
Old 11-01-2016, 08:04 PM

435i
You're right, the warranty is a big issue and I would not get the tune myself unless I bought a used CLS. Heck, this car is fast enough as is. You might want to read Kelley Blue Book's information page for the 2016 model. Most of it is still applicable because the car has not changed significantly. Quite a few user reviews there as well but I do not think many of them are of the 2017 or 2016. Here is the link:
http://www.kbb.com/mercedes-benz/cls-class/2016/#survey

thanks!
was able to look at one today for a few minutes after work.

Amazing.

Question...what are those sections on the back of the driver's seat, with what appears to be some sort of speaker netting/cover? Is it for the sound system or is it for AC?

thanks.
Old 11-01-2016, 11:43 PM

2017 CLS550
Neither, but AC is close. They are vents that release some (very little) of the air used by the ventilated/heated seats. I guess the vents work as sort of a safety valve or exhaust so the motor in there does not explode or something if the holes on the seat are blocked. They are also on the back of the passenger seat.
BDWonder (11-03-2016)
Old 11-05-2016, 12:25 AM

435i
Neither, but AC is close. They are vents that release some (very little) of the air used by the ventilated/heated seats. I guess the vents work as sort of a safety valve or exhaust so the motor in there does not explode or something if the holes on the seat are blocked. They are also on the back of the passenger seat.
hi, regarding the interior massage seats feature. Is it for driver only? Or does the passenger also get these massaging seat?
and same question for the multicontour seat, does the passenger also get this active dynamic seat,.whereby the side bolsters inflate in corners?
​​​​​​​Thanks!!
Old 11-05-2016, 05:34 AM

CLS 350 CGI 2008
In Europe the massage and multicontour functions are for both front seats. Should be the same everywhere
Old 11-05-2016, 08:02 AM
OBP

Received 26 Likes on 20 Posts
Lexus SC430, CLS550 4matic, GLK350 4matic, Volvo XC90 T8, E63 S AMG
Originally Posted by BDWonder
hi, regarding the interior massage seats feature. Is it for driver only? Or does the passenger also get these massaging seat?
and same question for the multicontour seat, does the passenger also get this active dynamic seat,.whereby the side bolsters inflate in corners?
​​​​​​​Thanks!!
I have a 2014 CLS550 and for my year ( and 12/13 as well) the multicontour seats function was for the drivers seat only. Not sure if things changed for the more current model years.
Old 11-05-2016, 08:11 AM

2017 CLS550
I do not know for sure because I do not have the massage/multi contour feature. Honzamo says in Europe the feature applies to both driver and passenger seats and if that is the case I would assume the same hold trues for cars sent to America. However, the MB website specifically calls this option the "active multi contour driver seat". If it were applicable to the passenger seat as well I would think they would not use the word "driver" in their description. You should check with your dealer on this to be sure.

While I was typing, OBP said his car has the feature on the driver's side only and my guess is that has not changed for this year's model. I have no idea why European cars would be different in this regard.

Last edited by shortspark; 11-05-2016 at 08:16 AM. Reason: addition
Old 11-05-2016, 09:40 AM

CLS 350 CGI 2008
shortspark:

Interesting, maybe it is different for the US market. In Europe the option for CLS500 2017 is called Active Orthopedic front seats and it has code SA-432.
By the VIN check it is:
432 DYNAMICS SEAT,FRONT LEFT AND RIGHT

In my older CLS 350 2008 there were two options but I am not sure if it was possible to have it only for the drivers seat.

433 LEFT DRIVING DYNAMICS SEAT
434 RIGHT DRIVING DYNAMICS SEAT
Old 11-05-2016, 10:13 AM
OBP

Received 26 Likes on 20 Posts
Lexus SC430, CLS550 4matic, GLK350 4matic, Volvo XC90 T8, E63 S AMG
There are definitely different options for Europe and the US. For 2014, US CLS550 had no auto folding mirrors. But I did European delivery and in Germany, many CLS350s and CLS Shooting Brakes had auto folding mirrors. I parked next to one in Germany and was frustrated because we could not get this option. Also, some CLS in other parts of the world have rear seat a/c controls. US CLS 550s in 2014 could not get this option.
Old 11-05-2016, 02:51 PM

435i
Originally Posted by honzamo
In Europe the massage and multicontour functions are for both front seats. Should be the same everywhere
Thanks. You guys are lucky. When i test drove the cls 550 this past week, the dealer told me they believe only for driver's side. Strange.
Old 11-05-2016, 02:52 PM

435i
Originally Posted by OBP
I have a 2014 CLS550 and for my year ( and 12/13 as well) the multicontour seats function was for the drivers seat only. Not sure if things changed for the more current model years.
That is quite strange, wouldn't you agree, why in US that mb made it driver's side only.
Old 11-05-2016, 02:57 PM

435i
Originally Posted by honzamo
shortspark:

Interesting, maybe it is different for the US market. In Europe the option for CLS500 2017 is called Active Orthopedic front seats and it has code SA-432.
By the VIN check it is:
432 DYNAMICS SEAT,FRONT LEFT AND RIGHT

In my older CLS 350 2008 there were two options but I am not sure if it was possible to have it only for the drivers seat.

433 LEFT DRIVING DYNAMICS SEAT
434 RIGHT DRIVING DYNAMICS SEAT
That is somewhat of a downer. I would have loved for my wife to have the massaging option, as well. Not a deal breaker, however, something to consider. Thanks for the reply!!
When i test drove the vehicle, which was superb btw, the dealer mentioned it was only for the driver side, the massage and dynamic function.
Old 12-10-2016, 04:32 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CLS400 4Matic 2016 / ML 350 2009 / clk 320 w209 sold/ sl 500 1996 sold/ cls550 2008 sold
hi i've got a CLS400 4M 2016 and the 400 engine is also lots of fun to drive with 333hp. if you are going to order one pick the saddle brown leather interior with the AMG package...
Old 03-24-2022, 08:05 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2018 CLS550 4MATIC, 2018 GLE43 AMG, 2018 S560
I recently picked up a 2018 CLS550 4Matic

its an amazing all around car,

in comfort mode its a smooth almost S Class ride

in Sport Mode with the sport suspension its surely a beast

As fast as you can get in a Merc besides the 63

and its definitely faster from factory than MB claims.

with a tune and downpipes you can get almost 650+ lb ft of torque!!

Pair that with the 4Matic suspension and youll be sure to take any sports car on a run for theyre money, even the 63 AMG’s