preventive care questions cls550

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-03-2017, 10:17 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
cls550
preventive care questions cls550

Hello
I am the proud owner of a diamond white cls550 4 matic and love the car! I live in NE Ohio and was wondering on peoples thoughts experiences on :
1. A clear bra
2. Bullet proof coating vs kamikaze or some of the other more robust coatings. I have an excellent detailer in my area who is more **** retentive the I am.
Any thoughts would be appreciated
Thanks
Old 01-03-2017, 06:20 PM

Received 34 Likes on 28 Posts
2017 CLS550
Originally Posted by jprod
Hello
I am the proud owner of a diamond white cls550 4 matic and love the car! I live in NE Ohio and was wondering on peoples thoughts experiences on :
1. A clear bra
2. Bullet proof coating vs kamikaze or some of the other more robust coatings. I have an excellent detailer in my area who is more **** retentive the I am.
Any thoughts would be appreciated
Thanks
Congratulations on the stunning CLS! I have a new CLS Diamond White as well and there is no doubt in my mind it is the best color for this style automobile. I fancy myself a detailer, well, a hobbyist actually and certainly not a pro. As a long time member of Autopia and AutoGeek, I consider myself fairly familiar with all the latest products for car maintenance. That, plus around sixty years of washing and caring for cars (mine and others), I think I can give you some decent advice, at least from my perspective.

A clear bra is expensive, especially considering the small area it protects. On a car like we own that is usually a non factor but if value is of any concern at all to you you will not find any with a clear bra. Yes, it protects the front from little rock chips but not much of anything else. If you are going over a lot of loose gravel, country back roads it might be worth it but even then I would not recommend it. The reason is that as far as I know, no clear bra remains "clear" for more than a couple years or so. Your beautiful Diamond White paint won't look that way, instead it will get a yellowish or at best a cloudy tint to it eventually and that is a certainty no matter what they tell you.

Coatings are getting better all the time, however, so are waxes and sealants. Because coatings are for the long term, you will not get the pleasure of rubbing on your car and experimenting with various products for different looks, such as candy apple, or a rich, deep glowing look or whatever suits you the best. Your coating is what you get for a year or two. I can't stand not working on my car. I have to experiment as well. If you do not have the time to do this or if you consider working on your car a chore then yes, coatings are the trouble free way of protecting the paint.

I use Polish Angel Snow White followed by Polish Angel High Gloss. That is the best combo I have found for Diamond White. I have experience with this color because previously I owned an ML350 in Diamond White and experimented with many products. Polish Angel is not cheap but they have top notch products. On the less expensive end, I have found second place goes to Sonax Polymer Net Shield sealant with follow up toppers of Sonax Brilliant Shine Detailer. There are many other products that make this color stand out especially in sun light or city lights, most notably Duragloss 111 with a periodic follow up of Duragloss AquaWax as a booster.

Using products such as these along with a weekly wash, will keep your CLS looking great at all times. Any of these will last and afford paint protection for a long time - up to a year if garage kept. For all these reasons, I would not use a clear bra or coating.
Old 01-03-2017, 10:25 PM

cls550
Thanks for the detailed response ! I really appreciate it. I am OCD especially when it comes to my cars, but i agree with you that the bra is not cost effective for the area it covers
I will probably have him put the bulletproof coating on that lasts a good 6 months or so because I dont have time right now to polish/ wax myself. I have 2 teens and a pre teen and I am really busy at work so my true free time is at a premium

Thanks again and enjoy your ride!
Old 01-05-2017, 11:38 AM

cls550
1 other question. As I read through the manual it states touches car washes are a no- no. Living in NE Ohio , options are limited. My local detail shop does hand washes but not on saturdays. I cannot get there during normal business hours. My local touchless does not use recycled water but dont now what soap they use . Is it OK to run it through once in a while?
Old 01-05-2017, 12:08 PM

2017 CLS550
Yes, this time of year is very difficult for maintaining a car, especially where you live. I live in Texas and seldom have a weather problem and have not used a car wash for years. But I know what it is like as I was born and raised in upstate NY's Finger Lakes Region.

There are many horror stories you can read at places like Autopia and AutoGeek related to "touchless" and "touches" car washes. Besides the obvious, the chemicals used are just too strong. Here is a quote from a pro detailer at AutoGeek: "The car washes use strong scents and dyes to appeal to our senses. The problem I've seen is that these additives can actually discolor chrome and plastics. I have even noticed some discoloring on lighter paint." If that happens on Diamond White it would be a tragedy.

Having said that, I think that salt, sand and all that other stuff they use on the roads up there are much worse. Whatever it takes, I would get that off no matter what. Have you heard of "rinseless" and "waterless" washes? That is the rage now not only because the technology has evolved making them super slick with great cleaning ability but because many areas have banned or restriced washing cars with a hose. Look into Wolfgang Uber rinseless wash for your MB when the weather does not allow for a normal bucket shampoo. There are many other similar products but this one is very versatile and I like it a lot. Here is a link that talks about it: http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/...er-out-me.html.

This is an excellent product but it in no way takes the place of a normal wash and should not be used on an exceptionally dirty car. It is better than nothing but will not perform miracles. Another advantage is that Uber can have several ratios for different applications, such as a clay lube, detail spray and waterless wash. It is an effective product for all these uses. Read that link and you will learn all you want to know - and then some! Good luck!!
The following users liked this post:
Stens (01-08-2017)
Old 01-08-2017, 11:37 PM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
2012 CLS550, 1994 Chevy K1500
Thanks for the recommendation. Tried the Wolfgang Uber tonight. I'm in Minnesota, but my garage is heated, and it has hot/cold water taps (previous owner did that, I wouldn't have thought of it). Rinsed off the salt with the hose and tried the WU. Wow. Nothing like a hand wash, even rinseless.

I'll still have to run it through the washes for the underbody rinses, but it'll look great going to church from now on, that's for sure.
Old 01-09-2017, 01:06 AM

2017 CLS550
Originally Posted by Stens
Thanks for the recommendation. Tried the Wolfgang Uber tonight. I'm in Minnesota, but my garage is heated, and it has hot/cold water taps (previous owner did that, I wouldn't have thought of it). Rinsed off the salt with the hose and tried the WU. Wow. Nothing like a hand wash, even rinseless.

I'll still have to run it through the washes for the underbody rinses, but it'll look great going to church from now on, that's for sure.
Glad you liked it. With your garage set up you are one of the lucky ones in Minnesota!
Old 01-15-2017, 09:57 AM

Received 39 Likes on 35 Posts
Mine: 2014 E550 4matic; Hers: 2016 CLS 400 4matic
Clear bra for sure - I have had them on the front of my last two cars. Coating too - I actually applied it myself. I also use salt remover.