CLS Coupe (C219) Discuss the CLS Coupe.

SOS Tele Aid malfunction Drive to workshop - Antenna Splitter Location?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-21-2016, 01:57 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
'06 CLS 500
SOS Tele Aid malfunction Drive to workshop - Antenna Splitter Location?

I recently started seeing the SOS Tele Aid message on the dash.

The car was converted to the digital mBrace module several years ago and I have a subscription and do not want to disable it as many others have suggested as diagnosing this can get costly.

I came across this video and article of a corroded antenna splitter and was wondering if perhaps this could be the issue? (I believe the part in question is 67823111)

http://www.benzworld.org/forums/w211...os-videos.html

I'm suspecting the issue is this as I also have issues with my GPS location accuracy which started occurring around the same time as the SOS Tele Aid message appeared.

Does anyone know if the design and location of the splitter is similar to the E-Class (W211) in the trunk behind the left panel? And if anyone has instructions on how to properly remove that panel?

Last edited by benbac; 07-21-2016 at 02:21 AM.
Old 07-21-2016, 11:57 AM
Out Of Control!!

Received 4,415 Likes on 3,145 Posts
'71 Pinto
211 & 219 are the same, part # 2108202489 is replaced by 67823111.
Attached Thumbnails SOS Tele Aid malfunction Drive to workshop - Antenna Splitter Location?-capture.jpg  
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
219 side panel.pdf (101.9 KB, 522 views)
File Type: pdf
Trunk center trim.pdf (45.6 KB, 469 views)
Old 07-22-2016, 05:11 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
'06 CLS 500
So yesterday the SOS Tele Aid message disappeared and GPS location was more accurate, but that didn't stop me, i wanted to look at the splitter anyways.

Removed the side panel and center trim this morning, reviewed the splitter and low and behold there was some corrosion on the top connector (not as much build up as the e-class thread displayed, but corrosion nonetheless).

The only issue I encountered was assuming the retainer clips on the bottom connectors of the splitter come off as it does on the top, I was wrong and accidentally cracked one of the retainer clips.

Fortunately it was just the plastic retainer clip and not the connector that got damaged. I just crazy glued the crack in the plastic, scrubbed off and cleaned the splitter, used some alcohol and a fine/soft wire brush to help with the cleaning and to get inside the connectors and put it back in it's place. I also wrapped the connector with a makeshift sleeve to help hold the connector, I probably could've just used some electrical tape to hold it in place.

So far no message and the GPS is working! We'll see what happens with time. Worse comes to worst i'll replace the splitter, the side panel and center trim are easy enough to remove.

As usual, thanks again Konigstiger for the instructions!
Attached Thumbnails SOS Tele Aid malfunction Drive to workshop - Antenna Splitter Location?-28194670460_97f0e73044_o.jpg   SOS Tele Aid malfunction Drive to workshop - Antenna Splitter Location?-27862050263_f9bd8e233f_o.jpg   SOS Tele Aid malfunction Drive to workshop - Antenna Splitter Location?-28194670130_489d5076a9_o.jpg  

Last edited by benbac; 07-22-2016 at 05:25 PM.
Old 08-19-2018, 08:07 PM

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts
2005 E320 CDI
I had a simalar problem and it was the corroded splitter connectors. Rain water comes down the antenna wire to the splitter. I disconnected them, (broke the same connector clip) and then cleaned them. The corrosion was significant.

On refreshing the connections, the SOS light went out for good. Two years later still no light. I guess the SOS system needed a GPS signal and complained when it was marginal.

I did hang the GPS wire down a bit and put a tape flag to attract rain water to drain away from getting to the splitter.

Regards,
Peter
Old 05-02-2023, 08:53 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
E320 CDI
Thank you, I have been having audio cutting-out issues for the last 6 years and this post has helped me find the problem. I ended up taking the NAV system out of the loop, which is now fixed. See my post https://www.benzworld.org/threads/20...rrors.2853402/. Now I hope I can now fix the SOS message when that antenna arrives today!