CLS Coupe (C219) Discuss the CLS Coupe.

Help!!! Brand new CLS 550 won't start :(

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-29-2008, 02:49 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CLS 550
Help!!! Brand new CLS 550 won't start :(

My mother just got this car LAST NIGHT! Brand new 2009 CLS 550! Today we were driving around in it and everything was working perfectly. We went out tonight for dinner and parked the car in an underground parking structure. I'd say we were at dinner an hour or so, got back in the car to leave and the car wouldn't start.

First the car made a couple of clicks and sounded like a dead battery. She tried it a few more times and still nothing. It said in the instrument panel that ESP was inoperable??? If that even has anything to do with this.

We went back outside to make some calls including calling road side assistance and then about 20 or so minutes later we went to try to start the car again and this time the car made no noise when turning it on. To make a long story short, the guy came and basically said that the keys are fine because the lights and dash all turn on and the door still locks. Unfortunately it's not the battery because that would just make life and this situation so much simpler ya know He also checked for any fuses but nope everything seemed perfect...except that the engine is not responding to the key! Does this sound like a computer glitch? On a brand new car?!

My mother is devastated of course and I feel awful for her. The worst part though about this whole situation is that the car is in a parking garage with a low clearance and we can't get the car on a flatbed. No way in hell is she gonna allow for her $82,000 car to go on a tow truck and I don't blame her. The tow guy came and even he agreed it wouldn't be the best idea. We even read the manual and it said flatbed only. There is no way to get the car outta there Suggestions?

Has anyone heard of a problem like this on a car only 24 hours old!?!?? It literally just got off the boat from Germany earlier this week
Old 06-29-2008, 05:18 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2007 CLS 550 and some other MBZ
Sorry to hear that. Well, since almost all dealerships are open on Sundays I would suggest to go back to the dealer and talk with the sales manager and have him send a tech. over on Monday to see if he can solve the problem on the spot. Good luck.
Old 06-29-2008, 06:23 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 27 Likes on 8 Posts
‘23 EQS AMG
damn that sucks, sorry to hear. i'd be pissed
Old 07-05-2008, 09:58 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
in your Mom's car
Any update on what happened??
Old 05-28-2010, 09:33 AM

06 Sl 65 AMG and CLS 350 AMG Sport pack
CLS starting problem

Any news from the dealership ?? I have the same problem my CLS won't start any ESP fault also turn on . Please help
Old 06-03-2010, 09:37 PM

2007 CLS 550
I saw this a few days ago

I had shut mine off (keyless go) and then pressed the button on the shifter one more time (not to start) to get the radio on for some reason and then pressed it one more time thinking I'd shut it off again and walked away thinking it was powered off but after about 7 hours (at night now) I came back to it and saw the lights were on...

when I went to get in, I couldn't get it to start at all... key wouldn't turn even... but I could get some lights. I hooked it up to another vehicle to boost and it took a few mins on the engine before the system would start... my guess is that the computer won't even let you try to start the vehicle unless there is some level of voltage at the battery. Anyway, when I charged it for about 5 mins, it started right up good as new.