CLS Coupe (C219) Discuss the CLS Coupe.

fix for trunk not opening via electric function

Old 08-12-2010, 12:58 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
cls 500
fix for trunk not opening via electric function

My trunk on my 06 CLS would not open via remote, switch in door panel or latch handle on trunk lid without key. It would open manually via trunk key in the trunk key slot and latch handle. The problem was easy to fix but hard to trouble shoot due to no wiring diagram. On the drivers side of the trunk arms there are about 10 wires that route up the arm and into the trunk lid. One of these wires (red) was broken in two. To access this area the panels in the trunk can be removed via multiple black pins. Pull out the center pin and then pull out the outer pin. Then remove the plastic trunk arm cover via the same type of pins. I modified the plastic trunk arm cover by cutting the bottom out and filing it smooth so that it would not cause the extreme bending that the factory had. I would suspect that this will be a common problem with our cars due to the extreme bend in the wire. I just re-soldered the wire and then wrapped all of the wires in electrical tape as to help in creating a larger radius bend in the wire as the trunk opens and closes.

This broken wire could be a different wire in your cause and may have a different initial problem, such as trunk light not working.

I hope this can help someone with this simple repair.
Old 10-25-2010, 04:42 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2006 CLS 500
My 06 CLS 500 trunk opens via remote but will not open all the way, l use hand to pull trunk up and close it each time and its getting stiffer and stiffer to open and close. Can you help figure what the peoblem is? may be the hydraulic pump is damaged? To close via auto, it keep wining but does not pull the trunk to a close.

Last edited by Adee; 10-25-2010 at 04:46 PM.
Old 10-25-2010, 06:38 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
cls 500
My trunk is strictly hand operation open and close, no remote close. I would think, that the trunk should open without any assistance other than the latch release and internal torsion spring. There are torsion springs on each side of trunk behind the trunk carpeting. Try tightening to the next position on each side. This will give more oomph when opening. The other possibility is the close mechanism is causing a drag on the truck lid opening on its own.
Old 10-26-2010, 11:01 AM

2006 CLS 500
Thanks will sure try tightening the torsion springs to the next position and see if it works.
Old 11-08-2010, 12:57 PM

2006 CLS 500
The control Module was replaced and fine now. Defective Control Module is the culprit.
Old 02-10-2013, 06:43 AM

cls 55 amg
So you trunk would only open about halfway with remote then you would have to manually open the trunk to full open? I have the same problem. It will close when button pressed. where is the module located
Old 01-25-2015, 07:16 PM

CLS500
Issue fixed, brown wire was broken

I had the same issue and all kinds of strange things happen, only half way closing, alarms on the dashboard etc.
In my case it was the thicker brown cable that broke.
After soldering the brown wire back together and wrapping it all up with electrical tape everything worked again as expected.

Last edited by Travel5000; 01-25-2015 at 07:37 PM.