CLS Coupe (C219) Discuss the CLS Coupe.

DIY Amplifier and Subwoofer Install (4 hours total)

Old 11-22-2010, 06:24 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lexus GS400
DIY Amplifier and Subwoofer Install (4 hours total)

Hello all! I recently got this car (completely stock) in August 2010. I had an audio system from my previous car just collecting dust in my garage. The system cost me less than $400 (wiring included) used. It was from my Lexus GS400 (pictured below), after it was totaled by getting hit on the front wheel by a hit-and-run driver.

DIY Amplifier and Subwoofer Install (4 hours total)-img_4249copy_filteredcopy.jpg

DIY Amplifier and Subwoofer Install (4 hours total)-cimg2189.jpg

My cousin and I started on the install at 11pm and ended at 2:50am. It was the easiest and most leisurely installs in my entire life. It's because all the wires that must be accessed are all located in the trunk! Nothing is needed to be run through the firewall or from the engine compartment to the trunk.

I was able to locate the audio signal wires going to the stock subwoofer, without removing the decklid. The wires are visible if you are lying on your back looking up at the decklid (through the hole) towards the driver's side. I then routed the wires and hooked up an RCA plug to those wires (without a line output converter). It works great.

The remote turn-on wire was connected to one of the accessory fuses in the fuse box next to the stock DVD navigation unit (on the driver's-side).

The positive amplifier wire was connected directly to the positive terminal of the battery. The negative amplifier wire was connected to the bolt that secures the wire of the negative battery terminal (to the sub-frame of the car).

I did not take any pictures during the wiring process. One thing to note: make sure you have a voltmeter during the install. Lastly, the system sounds great with the stock Comand headunit/processor. Enjoy the pictures!

DIY Amplifier and Subwoofer Install (4 hours total)-img_7128copy.jpg

DIY Amplifier and Subwoofer Install (4 hours total)-img_7114copy.jpg

DIY Amplifier and Subwoofer Install (4 hours total)-img_7108copy.jpg

DIY Amplifier and Subwoofer Install (4 hours total)-img_7107copy.jpg

DIY Amplifier and Subwoofer Install (4 hours total)-img_7105.jpg

Crappy picture of exterior of car:
IMG_6586copy_filteredcopy.jpg?t=1290423084
Old 11-22-2010, 09:37 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
07 E63 06 CLK55 Cab 03 P-car C4S
how's it sound? I imagine bass is better, but does it improve the overall sound even though the mid- and hi's are stock?
PL
Old 11-22-2010, 10:13 AM

04 CLK 500, 07 GSX-R 750, S 550, 09 Jeep GC
yea how does that sound?

I have 2, 10's in a sealed Box, didn't go ported, becuase i wanted to lessen the chances of exterior vibration caused by increased movement of air with a ported box.
how many watts are you running?
looks like 8 guage power cable?
Old 11-22-2010, 11:41 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Corrolla
Looks great man...gotta hear that bass for sure (it will be on Tuesday night at 11 ) . I think im gona add like a single 12" to my benz too but that wont happen until i get back from houston. Lets do some lunch on tuesday...just txt me.

Edit: He is the one did the photoshoot my car ...thanks again dude.

Andy
Old 11-22-2010, 03:46 PM

Lexus GS400
Originally Posted by bzliteyear
how's it sound? I imagine bass is better, but does it improve the overall sound even though the mid- and hi's are stock?
PL
It sounds great. The gain is set at 25 percent on the kicker 750.1. Bridged to 4 ohms. The highs and mids sound decent with the stock HK system. It was just missing bass with the stock system. I may upgrade the tweeters later in the future.

Edit: it's cheap 6 gauge wire.
Old 11-26-2010, 02:27 PM

2007 CLS63 AMG
What size wheels/tires do you have? Did you lower the vehicle?
Old 11-29-2010, 10:13 PM

CLS 550
How's the sound compared to your Lexus? I am looking at adding a sub, but heard that the factory amp is crossed over at a high pass frequency, so the sub, although will work doesn't sound as deep?
Old 12-01-2010, 01:56 PM

Lexus GS400
Originally Posted by kevtran
How's the sound compared to your Lexus? I am looking at adding a sub, but heard that the factory amp is crossed over at a high pass frequency, so the sub, although will work doesn't sound as deep?
It sounds much sharper in the Mercedes than in the Lexus. I think it's due to better stock processing in the Mercedes. I hooked the system up the same way in both cars.
Old 12-01-2010, 02:04 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
cls550
Originally Posted by CLK Masters
yea how does that sound?

I have 2, 10's in a sealed Box, didn't go ported, becuase i wanted to lessen the chances of exterior vibration caused by increased movement of air with a ported box.
how many watts are you running?
looks like 8 guage power cable?
I really don't think you are going to lessen your chances of vibration between sealed and ported...

Whatever panel or section of the car that might vibrate.. is going to vibrate no matter the style of the box..

I have had both types of boxes (sealed and ported) in the same car... and the exact things rattled, in both setups.
Old 12-30-2010, 07:20 PM

I had a technician tried to hook up a amp and a sub woofer to my CLS 500 - 2006 mod. but in the process, toasted up my amp - nothing works anymore. When you power the radio system, the MB logo flashes and after a while goes off and blank all over.
Old 01-02-2011, 03:00 AM

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
2016 E550 Cab & 2011 GL 550 & 09 VROD Muscle & 06 Seadoo Speedster LE .......
Originally Posted by alabiyemmy
I had a technician tried to hook up a amp and a sub woofer to my CLS 500 - 2006 mod. but in the process, toasted up my amp - nothing works anymore. When you power the radio system, the MB logo flashes and after a while goes off and blank all over.
Should have gone to a Proper Tech....................
Old 06-12-2012, 06:27 PM

CLS 550
I know this is an old thread but when disconnecting the batter to install the amp kit, do you need a special code to get the command unit to start working again. I know some cars have this anti theft mechanism that does this just wondering before I disconnect the cables.

R,

Originally Posted by whazzzzuup
Hello all! I recently got this car (completely stock) in August 2010. I had an audio system from my previous car just collecting dust in my garage. The system cost me less than $400 (wiring included) used. It was from my Lexus GS400 (pictured below), after it was totaled by getting hit on the front wheel by a hit-and-run driver.

My cousin and I started on the install at 11pm and ended at 2:50am. It was the easiest and most leisurely installs in my entire life. It's because all the wires that must be accessed are all located in the trunk! Nothing is needed to be run through the firewall or from the engine compartment to the trunk.

I was able to locate the audio signal wires going to the stock subwoofer, without removing the decklid. The wires are visible if you are lying on your back looking up at the decklid (through the hole) towards the driver's side. I then routed the wires and hooked up an RCA plug to those wires (without a line output converter). It works great.

The remote turn-on wire was connected to one of the accessory fuses in the fuse box next to the stock DVD navigation unit (on the driver's-side).

The positive amplifier wire was connected directly to the positive terminal of the battery. The negative amplifier wire was connected to the bolt that secures the wire of the negative battery terminal (to the sub-frame of the car).

I did not take any pictures during the wiring process. One thing to note: make sure you have a voltmeter during the install. Lastly, the system sounds great with the stock Comand headunit/processor. Enjoy the pictures!

Crappy picture of exterior of car:
Old 06-13-2012, 01:52 PM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
w205 C63s, w212 E63,w219CLS500-SOLD! w211 E63, 2006 E60 M5 (KABOOM!)
No, you can just disconnect the battery.
Old 06-14-2012, 11:35 AM

Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts
CLS550 AMG Pkg.
GREAT write-up Thanks for taking the time to put this together.
Old 06-17-2012, 12:02 AM

Received 162 Likes on 94 Posts
2007 Mercedes C280,2007 Mercedes S550,2008 Mercedes Gl450, 2012 Audi A6, 2007 Porsche 997 twin turbo
how do I know if my car is fiber optic? I want to replace the radio.
Old 03-28-2015, 11:26 AM

mercedes cls320
cant find Sub Signal wire

Hi There,

Great Post.

However was just wondering if you have any info on how to get to the stock subwoofer, to gain access to the signal cables

Many Thanks,
Nick
Old 10-24-2015, 08:00 PM

Received 27 Likes on 26 Posts
2010 e550 coupe
I know this is an old post but I am in a very similar situatiton as the OP I just purchased an 06 cls and the thing is in basically new condition even have both of the original keys with it. I am an audiophile at heart and need my sound however. I have a 1200 hifonics brutus and 2 12's that I would be pulling out a 98 e320 that was in an accident (insurance covered). And I want to keep it as stock as possible. This seems doable for me my main concern is splicing the wires from the fuse box do I just follow them leading from the accessory fuse and cut the wire then join them with wire nuts or something? Or do you guys recommend wire tap ins? Also how much of an amp can the stock alternator and battery of these cars take I know this brutus hifonics required an extra battery in my 98 e but things may have changed...
Old 04-05-2016, 09:16 PM

2011 MB CLS550
Talking Ready for a sub.

I'm going to try putting in a sub in my ride as well. Like everyone here, there seems to be a trend of subs and amps living in basements and garages lol... Same here.

Sounds like it's pretty simple! Looking forward to hearing my 12" Kappa Perfect with a mono amp.

I just have a simple question (it's probably a stupid one but I don't want to blow anything up in the car). Did you guys leave the stock sub and added the extra sub or did you remove the stock sub when installing the aftermarket?

Just curious if I can keep both. Thanks!
Old 04-05-2016, 09:19 PM

Received 27 Likes on 26 Posts
2010 e550 coupe
Originally Posted by Darius Tata
I'm going to try putting in a sub in my ride as well. Like everyone here, there seems to be a trend of subs and amps living in basements and garages lol... Same here.

Sounds like it's pretty simple! Looking forward to hearing my 12" Kappa Perfect with a mono amp.

I just have a simple question (it's probably a stupid one but I don't want to blow anything up in the car). Did you guys leave the stock sub and added the extra sub or did you remove the stock sub when installing the aftermarket?

Just curious if I can keep both. Thanks!
I left the stock but if I were to do it again id probably pull it out because my two 12s are making it unnecessary. And I'd probably have better sound flow if I took it out.
Old 06-13-2016, 12:37 PM

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
CLS500 M113
Do the non-HK Audio 20 equipped cars have a sub? or is it just the 2(?) sets of mids/tweeters.

How does one (on a budget) upgrade the sound system?