CLS Coupe (C219) Discuss the CLS Coupe.

Low Beam Bulb Replacement

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-08-2012, 05:22 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CLS 550
Low Beam Bulb Replacement

Does anyone know the easiest way to remove & replace the low beam bulbs on the CLS550? The owners manual says to take it to the dealer of course :/ Can I do it myself? Is it difficult to do? Is there any videos on do it yourself bulb replacement on the CLS?

Thanks guys
Old 11-25-2012, 11:13 PM

2009 CLS550, parktronic, Navi
Originally Posted by KAOZZ
Does anyone know the easiest way to remove & replace the low beam bulbs on the CLS550? The owners manual says to take it to the dealer of course :/ Can I do it myself? Is it difficult to do? Is there any videos on do it yourself bulb replacement on the CLS?

Thanks guys
Did you end up fixing it? The manual provides a couple lines of explanation on bulb replacement as well as a picture reference to the low beam socket. ( Page 310 in the 09 CLS manual)
The passenger side is reachable, driver side you may require to lift out the coolant reservoir (simple task) to make it reachable to a rightie with larger hands.
Old 11-26-2012, 10:16 AM

CLS 550
Yeah I replaced both of them...def not the easiest thing in the world to do but manageable. Thank you for your response, I appreciate it.

Originally Posted by MooF
Did you end up fixing it? The manual provides a couple lines of explanation on bulb replacement as well as a picture reference to the low beam socket. ( Page 310 in the 09 CLS manual)
The passenger side is reachable, driver side you may require to lift out the coolant reservoir (simple task) to make it reachable to a rightie with larger hands.
Old 12-21-2012, 10:26 PM
ezy

CLS550
I just did this. It was actually pretty straight forward though, smaller hands would've made it a tad bit easier (I'm 6'4"). Bottom line, do NOT take it to the dealer for this; probably among the easier things you can do.

I didn't take pictures but, here's what I did:

Tools needed:

Flathead screwdriver
Small Pliers
Flash light
Latex gloves

• There are two plastic disks to access the headlights. The inner one (smaller) is for the high beam and park light, the outer one (larger) is for the low beam and turn signal.
  • For low beam: Turn disk to remove; get a good grip. I wore the latex gloves (and to make sure I didn't get grime on the new bulb). Also helps you avoid dropping the disk, and having to remove the access panels underneath to retrieve it.
  • Once removed, you can reach in and find the low beam light socket (it's the lower one). It's got a little horizontal tab that you'll have to turn in order to release.
  • Once you've got the socket pulled out, you'll need to remove the old bulb). Not much slack in the wires (this is where the smaller hands would've helped). Take the flathead screwdriver and lift the silver clip on each (2) side of the socket, while pulling the bulb ring. You only need to do this enough to get the clip over the snap.
  • Once you've got the clip over the snap (on both sides), use the pliers to hold the black tab with one and pull the bulb ring with the other hand. The bulb and plug should come off together.
  • Set aside old bulb and do the reverse of the above with the bulb, lining the bulb ring with the plug and plugging it into the socket, making sure the silver clips latch, and reinserting the socket into the projector slot.

This is the process for both sides. The passenger (right) side has less obstruction but, again, neither side is difficult to access.

I went ahead and changed the park lights while I was working (wanted a whiter light). Same process (for the inner disk). Only difference is, I had to remove the high beam socket (it's the same as the low beam process) in order to get to the park light; which is snapped in (no twisting required).

Hopefully this helps.
Old 12-22-2012, 04:55 AM

Jaguar S-Type R, Smart Passion, CLS 320 CDI
Originally Posted by ezy
(I'm 6'4"). Bottom line, do NOT take it to the dealer for this; probably among the easier things you can do.
as stated in very good instructions above, fiddly but easy if you take your time.. did mine with headlights off car and city/ driving light wedge was still a bit of an event... as mentioned by m1rag3 in another thread, key enabler for wedge access is high beam removal to side.

word of caution be careful not to have auto lights and keyless key in range with bi xenons

risk of high voltage shock is why manual states take to dealer for low beam bi xenon.
Old 08-24-2016, 10:04 AM

SL 350 & CLS 500
I've just had to do this replacement on the lower of the 2 bulbs and had a nightmare. I was able to twist the bulb but it wouldn't come out and i didn't want to force it.

After an hour of scraping most of the skin off my knuckles and getting pretty frustrated I got a bit rough with it and it just came out! Typical!