CLS Coupe (C219) Discuss the CLS Coupe.

Handling and suspension

Old 04-07-2014, 07:39 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ml
Handling and suspension

I am thinking about buying used Mercedes CLS 2004-2007. I am not sure at all if this car will suit me properly. I am looking for a nice Benz with sporty handling and respectable look. I heard that CLS is a bit too soft. Can you CLS owners confirm it? Another question - is Airmatic really worth to look for? Can you compare handling and steering in CLS to other cars? My aunt has a new M-class. It would be great if one of you could compare the CLS to it.

I like the W215 CL-class too. Did anyone drive both CLS, CL and is able to collate them?

Thanks
Old 04-08-2014, 11:00 AM

2009 CLS550, parktronic, Navi
The CLS is one of the best looking cars on the road. As far as handling, you may want to search elsewhere. These are heavy cars based on the e-class platform. The airmatic suspension allows you to customize the ride quality and performance but even the sportiest setting (Sprt2) will not feel as firm as a traditional suspension. Once you are comfortable with the size and weight of the car, it's as nimble as any car on the road with the right driver behind the wheel. Just takes some getting used to.
Unfortunately, you are comparing some apples and oranges here with the M-Class. That's an SUV and depending on how new the model is, it may actually feel "tighter" as a daily driver over the CLS. And you are also looking at older cars, 2004..is now 10-11 years old and certainly may not drive the way a 2012 M or E class will drive.
I suggest test-driving one to see for yourself.
in the end, I'm not a huge fan of airmatic. It doesn't provide enough change in my driving experience to desire the function and may only end up costing you money for repairs. If you maintain your cars and know what to watch for, you can also repair airmatic at low cost through online shopping and independent mechanics .

Enjoy.
Old 04-08-2014, 02:06 PM

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts
W212 E250 BT 4M
Old 04-08-2014, 03:39 PM

ml
Thanks for satisfactory explaining the behaviour of the CLS. I will try to earn some money to buy CLS55 AMG but it will be hard to do. It will be my first own car. You may say it's too big and powerful for a first car but I have some experience with driving cars like this.

My last question: which car will be more sporty? (I mean normal versions, not AMG) The CL (W215) or CLS?