CLS Coupe (C219) Discuss the CLS Coupe.

REally slow accelertion on 2007 CLS 550

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-16-2014, 01:01 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CLS 550
REally slow accelertion on 2007 CLS 550

Hi I just bought a 2007 CLS550 with AMG package from a family member. It has only ~50K miles on it and has never been abused.

My question is..the car definately has a lot of power, but the accelerator is really stiff...Press down a little the car moves really slow...my 2001 Honda Accord with 238K miles accelerates a lot faster than this....It takes a decent amount of effort to push down further on the accelerator to get the CLS550's power out....same thing applies for freeways...it cruises easy around 60...but trying to keep it around 70's requires a decent amount of foot strenght on the accelerator all the time. I just put it on cruise control...leg gets tried after a while. Is this just standard on this car or is their a way I can modify the stiffness of the accelrator pedal? Thanks!
Old 04-18-2014, 04:24 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2007 CLS 550 and some other MBZ
The car will learn the way you drive. If you put it on "S" and drive aggressively for a while it will be more responsive. For highway driving (70mph+) I think it's because the weight of the car. If you compare it to a Japanese car it is almost double the weight.
Old 04-18-2014, 01:01 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CLS 550
Originally Posted by mbenz1
The car will learn the way you drive. If you put it on "S" and drive aggressively for a while it will be more responsive. For highway driving (70mph+) I think it's because the weight of the car. If you compare it to a Japanese car it is almost double the weight.
Thanks for the info. I didn't know the CLS550 had an adaption feature..i guess the first I have heard of it in any car..if there is one is there a way to reset it so it can relearn driver habits?

I did start trying out the S mode. I read in forums on C it starts on the 2nd gear and in S it start on the first gear....hence that's probably why it feels its slow to start on Comfort mode. As a result of this does the comfort mode actually take more gas since its always skipping a gear or are the two the same?

Lastly there are two other buttons. One raises Height, and one for airmatic suspension 1 and 2. What exactly is the effect of these features on driving and handling? When i tried airmatic one or two...I felt like I felt the G forces more on turns and it was not as comfortable a ride. Is that true or are they intended to do something else? Thanks!

And yes the car is very heavy...I feel it even when I try to open and close the doors. I guess its made tough.

Last edited by rimmi2002; 04-18-2014 at 01:03 PM.
Old 04-19-2014, 07:02 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2007 CLS 550 and some other MBZ
Originally Posted by rimmi2002
Thanks for the info. I didn't know the CLS550 had an adaption feature..i guess the first I have heard of it in any car..if there is one is there a way to reset it so it can relearn driver habits?

--You don't have to reset anything, the car is designed to learn the way you drive pretty fast. Floor the car a few times and you'll notice the difference right away.

I did start trying out the S mode. I read in forums on C it starts on the 2nd gear and in S it start on the first gear....hence that's probably why it feels its slow to start on Comfort mode. As a result of this does the comfort mode actually take more gas since its always skipping a gear or are the two the same?

--No, my experience is Comfort mode always have better mileage. If you use Comfort mode and Sport II suspension setting it will give you less MPG.

Lastly there are two other buttons. One raises Height, and one for airmatic suspension 1 and 2. What exactly is the effect of these features on driving and handling? When i tried airmatic one or two...I felt like I felt the G forces more on turns and it was not as comfortable a ride. Is that true or are they intended to do something else? Thanks!

--They are for different purposes. Raising the car is for you to clear obstacles like parking with a higher than usual curb in front of you or when driving over a pond of water etc.. Sport I and II setting is for improved handling like when you are about to take a tight turn. Suspension will be tighten and you will have better handling but you'll feel every bump on the road.

And yes the car is very heavy...I feel it even when I try to open and close the doors. I guess its made tough.
That's what Mercedes is known for, the rock solid feel!