CLS Coupe (C219) Discuss the CLS Coupe.

Need input in TURBO M273 Project

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-04-2015, 09:32 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CLS550
Question Need input in TURBO M273 Project

So guys, I have been debating on whether to be unique and do something I have yet to see, or whether to just become part of the AMG herd. While I love the AMG's, I also love my CLS550 and want to do something different with it.

Here's the idea, in crude terms;

Rear mount twin turbo set up with it's own oil supply with an FMIC.

Obviously, a lot more goes into this, been around 2JZ's for a while and boosting isn't new to me.

However, engine management is my main concern? Do these ECU's allow maps to be changed to accommodate the turbocharged pressure? Would engine management be the largest concern most of you have as well?

Thoughts and input is appreciated as I will start compiling a list necessary to move forward with the project.

Thanks!
Old 03-10-2015, 07:24 PM

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts
2014 CLS550
I follow most of what you are planning here. "been around 2JZ's for a while and..." No sure what you mean here.
Anyway, if your car is betwen 2006 and 2009 model years, I would do one very important check before adding the kind of money you are thinking of adding.
Compression check on all cylinders! I would want them all to be better than the factory 5% delta before adding any load to the lower end.
The M270, M271 and M273 engines, built between 2006 and 2009 have valve guides with inadequate heat treatment. The hardness is not sufficient to resist wear and leaks develop. Valve guide leaks = low compression.

Easy and inexpensive job.
The following users liked this post:
dokdokter (03-24-2022)
Old 12-03-2021, 02:37 PM

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
W209 CLK Renntech Widebody, C140 CL600 V12, AP2 S2000, NSX Twin Turbo, R8 V10
Originally Posted by JossySingh
So guys, I have been debating on whether to be unique and do something I have yet to see, or whether to just become part of the AMG herd. While I love the AMG's, I also love my CLS550 and want to do something different with it.

Here's the idea, in crude terms;

Rear mount twin turbo set up with it's own oil supply with an FMIC.

Obviously, a lot more goes into this, been around 2JZ's for a while and boosting isn't new to me.

However, engine management is my main concern? Do these ECU's allow maps to be changed to accommodate the turbocharged pressure? Would engine management be the largest concern most of you have as well?

Thoughts and input is appreciated as I will start compiling a list necessary to move forward with the project.

Thanks!
Back from the dead! Don't suppose you ever figured out an answer to the ECU question?
Old 12-09-2021, 03:58 AM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
W212 E550
I think the Bosch Me9.7 can be made to work with boost, but torque based with no wastegate control that I've found so far.

Had great gains NA using Winols, I don't see why we cant have a higher expected tq to make room for boost

I'm in the middle of trying to rear mount a single on a e550

Old 10-13-2023, 12:01 AM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
2010 e550 coupe
Originally Posted by dkGoodrich
I think the Bosch Me9.7 can be made to work with boost, but torque based with no wastegate control that I've found so far.

Had great gains NA using Winols, I don't see why we cant have a higher expected tq to make room for boost

I'm in the middle of trying to rear mount a single on a e550
Revived again.. Has anyone done this on an m273 yet? Didn't even know there were benz DIY tuners on here but glad to see it. I want to do something to my e550 coupe as well probably dual relay turbos. I had heard that relays do not make much power is this true?
The following users liked this post:
MikeG132 (10-14-2023)
Old 10-14-2023, 01:46 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2010 Mercedes Benz E550 RWD
Originally Posted by MrNice
Revived again.. Has anyone done this on an m273 yet? Didn't even know there were benz DIY tuners on here but glad to see it. I want to do something to my e550 coupe as well probably dual relay turbos. I had heard that relays do not make much power is this true?
Searching for the same thing here. Following. It makes me upset that no one makes performance parts for this model. 😭… understandable.. But damn nadda? Alls people wanna do are copy and paste builds lol