CLS Coupe (C219) Discuss the CLS Coupe.

Wheel/Tire Problems-Steering Vibration and loose Rear End

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-22-2015, 03:35 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2011 e350 cabriolet
Wheel/Tire Problems-Steering Vibration and loose Rear End

I've searched these forums and Google in general and cannot find a reasonable answer to my problem. I'm posting here because the proper forums get so few visitors...I apologize for the cross post but these forums seem lightly visited so I am trying to expand my reach...

I've have a 2012 CLS550 4-matic for the past year (14k miles) and I am beginning to think this car is not made for NYC streets. Earlier in the Spring I hit a pothole and soon after noticed the steering wheel would vibrate at speeds from 50-65mph and I could feel a pulse in the brake pedal. The front driver brake started squealing loudly when coming to a slow stop afterwards. Also the rear end feels very loose when going over uneven pavement especially around a corner - it feels like the rear end wants to kick out.

So the car went to the dealer and they repaired the dented front driver rim, balanced all tires and performed an alignment. Total $500

Steering wheel still shakes like hell.

Car goes back and I am told that the other front rim is also slightly dented and all 4 tires have flat spots. After doing research I find that the OEM Continentals have soft sidewalls and that Michelins might be more up to the task for NYC driving. I tell them that I will change the tires over to Michelin Pilot Sport A/S myself and report back. Total $1100

New Michelins feel good but the steering wheel still vibrates like hell and the rear end feels just as unplanted as before. Essentially the rear end feels like what you'd imagine a 1970's Cadillac to feel like when going over bumps.

So now I am going to go to a local tireshop that does road force balancing and see if they can help. If not I think I will sell the car and get something that can actually be used in NYC.

Anybody have any other advice as to solve this lousy vibration/handling problem. The car is no longer enjoyable to drive and feels unsafe.

I am totally frustrated.

Thanks

Mike B