CLS Coupe (C219) Discuss the CLS Coupe.

CLS Thrust arm and lower control arm rubbing

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-15-2015, 01:30 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CLS 55 AMG
CLS Thrust arm and lower control arm rubbing

About 3 months ago I replaced ball joints and noticed the bushing on the thrust arm was extremely canted. I replaced (both sides) the lower control arm, ball joints and thrust arm, and both tie rod ends. While replacing the spring control arm I see that on the Subframe side its torqued and the bushing is partially torn out.

Then upon further inspection I see that the Control arm and thrust arm at the steering knuckle are rubbing against each. there is a notch on the spring control arm that is rubbing together. Getting worse with little bumps and in the sharp turns. one being steel the the other being aluminum the aluminum control arm was losing the battle and it's destroying the end of it, I think No worries I'm replacing all of it anyway.

So I do all that work, take it to get aligned at the INDY they can only get it super close, put camber bolts into it to help it out.

Drives straight, no airmatic problems but it started to clunk over small bumps, metal on metal. not slow over big bumps but the little ones, and If I turn hard left the left tire rubs the fender well liner.
Looked under the car, boom the same rubbing is happening, only this time the Spring control arm bushing is fine not canted or crooked. Pot holes here in Dallas are HUGE on some interstates so it could be anything.

What could be causing the angle to be so far off. Can it be a bent steering knuckle? it seems fine when I take measurements but who knows.

the passenger side is fine. Any thoughts?
I have a new steering knuckle on the way as everything else is practically brand new.

thanks in advance for all the awesome help this site provides.
Paul

Last edited by Paul0588; 07-15-2015 at 01:36 AM. Reason: clarity