CLS Coupe (C219) Discuss the CLS Coupe.

Fuel tank leak

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-14-2015, 10:53 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CLS 350 2006 W219
Fuel tank leak

Hi guys, started to smell gas after filling up the tank to full, went to mechanic, he checked and replaced both fuel pump and sender unit along with the rubber seal, after that i fill up the tank and smell was there again, went back to mechanic and we open the back seat and went for test drive, mechanic realised that whenever i break hard, some fuel will gush out from some where down to the neck of fue pump seal, it is not fuel pump or seal leaking,
mechanic said fuel tank leaking, need to replace, but i think there is some valve or seal or something there on top of fuel tank which is leaking,

any ideas?

i dont want to spend so much money to replace fuel tank.

regards,
Old 10-14-2015, 01:21 PM

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
2019 E450
Originally Posted by ami422
Hi guys, started to smell gas after filling up the tank to full, went to mechanic, he checked and replaced both fuel pump and sender unit along with the rubber seal, after that i fill up the tank and smell was there again, went back to mechanic and we open the back seat and went for test drive, mechanic realised that whenever i break hard, some fuel will gush out from some where down to the neck of fue pump seal, it is not fuel pump or seal leaking,
mechanic said fuel tank leaking, need to replace, but i think there is some valve or seal or something there on top of fuel tank which is leaking,

any ideas?

regards,
I'm driving so this will be short.
Do a search for recalls and service bulletins on fuel smell.
This is common.
I
Old 10-14-2015, 05:17 PM

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts
2006 C55
Hope you aren't texting and driving :P

At least use voice command.
Old 11-10-2015, 12:58 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2008 CLS550, 2001 C240
the fule leak - have the same issue - smell at full tank filling

New York — The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration said Tuesday it is closing a three-year-old investigation into 281,000 Mercedes-Benz luxury cars over fuel leaks and fuel odors after the German automaker agreed to extend warranties.

The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration opened a probe in January 2012 after receiving 20 reports in 2003-2006 E55 AMG vehicles and expanded the probe last year into all 2003-2008 E-Class vehicles.

Owners said they reported a strong odor of gasoline fuel both inside and outside of their vehicle, particularly after refilling the fuel tank. Many complaints said the odor subsided after driving some distance thereby lowering the fuel level in the tank. Other owners reported they would only fill the gas tank to about three-quarters full to avoid the odor. Some owners said fuel leaked from the fuel filter/sender, located on the top of the fuel tank on the driver's side, and collected on top of the tank.

Mercedes — a unit of Daimler AG — told NHTSA on Sept. 4 it will extend the original warranty coverage to 15 years and unlimited mileage on "Covered Fuel Tank Components" in 2003-2009 E-Class vehicles in and 2006-2011 CLS-Class vehicles. Fuel tank components for the warranty extension include the fuel tank, fuel filter/sender, fuel pump, and all related gaskets/seals and retention rings. That letter was made public in recent days by NHTSA.

There were also allegations that the fuel leaks last were connected to a 2008 emissions recall campaign in 2003-2006 E-Class and CLS-Class AMG models. The issue in the emissions recall involved small cracks in the pressurized outlet fitting of the fuel filter/sender. AMG vehicles are high performance models that operate at higher fuel pressure and use a different fuel filter/sender and fuel pump than non-AMG models.

NHTSA said when the tank is full, fuel can slowly weep or seep from micro-cracks in these components and may collect in cavities on top of the filter/sender, pump, or tank. "Contrary to complainant's allegations that fuel entered the inside of their vehicle under the rear seat bench, neither (NHTSA) nor Mercedes found a plausible way for this to occur," NHTSA said. "The fuel tank is located outside of the passenger compartment, attached to the underside of the vehicle. The service access ports for the fuel filter/sender (driver's side) and fuel pump (passenger's side) are located under the rear seat bench, covered by a steel plate, sealed and bolted to the vehicle floor."

NHTSA said when technicians service the fuel filter/sender at the 60,000 mile service interval, and/or the fuel pump, "the work is performed from inside the vehicle by working through the access ports."

NHTSA said it is "closing this investigation based on the manufacturer's extend warranty of the affected fuel system components and in consideration that the nature of the leaks does not appear to present an unreasonable risk to motor vehicle safety."
The following users liked this post:
Roscoefour (01-17-2021)
Old 11-10-2015, 10:28 AM
Out Of Control!!

Received 4,415 Likes on 3,145 Posts
'71 Pinto
2006-2011 219 fuel tank odor is covered by 15 year/unlimited mileage no cost dealer repair extended warranty, reference bulletin P-B-47.1./63c
Old 03-26-2020, 10:06 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1984 300TD/2006 CLS55/04 E320 wagon/05 CDI crashed :(
what's the average cost to fix this? I have a cls55 and a 2004 E320 wagon- the wagon smells of gas sometimes and stalls on occasion.
Old 01-11-2021, 07:56 PM

Received 180 Likes on 74 Posts
W221 S550 4MATIC
Originally Posted by ami422

any ideas?

regards,
Maybe these videos can help you
Old 06-05-2022, 08:37 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
380 SL
do you folks know what diameter hoses I need to get this rig fully upgraded?