CLS Coupe (C219) Discuss the CLS Coupe.

Which used CLS to get CLS550 or CLS55 AMG?

Old 12-30-2015, 08:47 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
An old toyota
Which used CLS to get CLS550 or CLS55 AMG?

Hey Guys,

I'm new here. In 4 months I will be getting a CLS (first body style) - the car i wanted to have for a long time. I like the first minor redesign - the one with the updated steering wheel and headlights...

I am looking for 2007-2011 year range only (before the redesign - i only like the original body style, not the current). Any years particularly better than others?

Budget: $25,000 cash.

I intend to keep and drive it for 8 years or so, as my main driver. Having said that, i don't drive much - as I commute by train. I am also in Toronto, where weather can be extreme.

So my question:
Do i get the non supercharged CLS550 or the supercharged CLS55 AMG with higher mileage? Obviously would like to keep mileage as low as possible. Would not go much higher than 100,000 KM.

2006 CLS500 is out of the question, as i believe 300 HP is underpowered for such a heavy car.

Also: What do you think the best way to shop for one would be?

I got the mechanic part covered - my friend who is really good with german cars, and can get parts cheaper than most suppliers.

Thanks,
Alex
Old 12-30-2015, 09:20 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
e63 NA
You can try to secure and aftermarket warranty with either but I think it would be very nice to have with the 55 as the parts can get expensive.

I can't speak on the CLS550 but the CLS55 is an absolute monster. Nothing better than walking away from vettes while knowing you have 10x the comfort

Both great choices good luck in your search!
Old 01-20-2016, 06:17 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2012SLK55 AMG
I just picked up an '06 CLS55AMG, 43,000 miles/$27,000. It is a fantastic vehicle! However, I live a little to the north and far west of you in northern Wisconsin, and I don't think I'd care to need this car in the snow!
Old 01-30-2016, 03:48 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
W211 E550
I was in this exact situation approx 3 years however not with the cls but with the eclass .
E550 vs e55

I ended up getting the m273 (e550) over the e55 as I wanted the newer vehicle , 7speed gearbox and piece of mind I would never be up for a supercharger rebuild .

If you go down the supercharged route please be aware you will be paying more in maintenance as AMG parts are more expensive than factory Mercedes parts however don't let that deter you if you go supercharged make sure it's low mileage and has never missed a service .

In terms of power obviously the m273 won't be as quick but it is no slouch I have never thought to myself this thing needs more power . I have run 107mph @13.4 (crappy 60ft over 2sec) and that was with bald tyres so believe me it does in fact have ample power.

It comes down to the fact of whether you want an older vehicle with crazy crazy power or a newer vehicle which hauls