CLS Coupe (C219) Discuss the CLS Coupe.

Instructions For Signal Lamp Replacement On Outside Passenger Side Mirror Assembly?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-07-2016, 05:08 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
'06 CLS 500
Instructions For Signal Lamp Replacement On Outside Passenger Side Mirror Assembly?

Does anyone have instructions on how to replace the signal lamp on the passenger side mirror assembly? Not sure how it happened, but a small piece of the clear plastic has cleanly cracked off the signal lamp exposing the end LED.

The part # I found is 2198200621 but I also found ULO part # W0133-1889536-ULO, I'm also wondering if ULO is the OEM manufacturer for MB for this part, can someone confirm this is the part # for the passenger/right side signal lamp?
Old 03-10-2016, 08:33 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2007 CLS320 CDI, 2009 CL500
Replacing it should be fairly easy, I recently cleaned and lubricated the fold motors, so I did the same procedure of disassembling it all.

Steps are as follows:

• Tilt the mirror all the way down
  • Observe the small clips holding the mirror on the tilt motor assembly
  • Use a small screwdriver or a hook to gently lift the plastic clips as you pull on the mirror to remove it from the tilt motor assembly
  • Disconnect the mirror heating wires (if you have that option)
  • Unscrew the three bolts holding the tilt motor to the casing
  • Unhook the motor wiring (green plug)
  • Unscrew the bolts holding the rear facing trim and remove it.
  • Remove the down-facing illumination lamp from the bottom of the trim
  • Unscrew the bolts holding the front facing trim (that holds the turn signal)
  • Disconnect the wires that go to the turn signal (use needle nose pliers since it's kinda hidden in there behind where the mirror tilt motor was)
  • Tilt the trim downwards and anti-clockwise (for the passenger side) to remove it from the carrier frame.
  • Undo the two screws holding the turn signal in the trim
  • Replace in reverse order
A thing to note: The official manual recommends simply pulling on the mirror glass to get it loose. This seemed to me like an easy way to break something (since it was actually pretty well fixed in there) so I almost thought someone glued it in there to protect from theft. Use a little screwdriver instead, much less chance of breaking something.

While you're there, if you have issues with the mirror not wanting to unfold occasionally, remove the carrier frame and the fold motor, clean it and lubricate it with some waterproof grease. I had a re-occurring issue with this from time to time and since I've done it, it's been two months without a single jam. The motor can be disassembled into basic elements, and each can be cleaned easily and individually.