Burned through the DPF

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-24-2016, 08:24 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cls Grand Edition
Burned through the DPF

Hello all,

I own a 2010 CLS grand Edition and I have been having problems with it since Jan. going into Limp mode, juddering, problems with acceleration and a burning smell at times. No engine warning lights or anything have ever come up.

On Sunday I was on the motorway when i noticed a Judder, car goes into limp mode and I start to pull over to the left hand lane. As i pull over I notice smoke coming from the back of the car followed by sparks. I pull over to the hard shoulder and jump out as i thought the car was on fire, and the underneath of the car is literally Glowing orange because it was so hot.

The Car has gone into Europa in sheffield and they advise me that my DPF has a hole burned through it due to the heat, and also another hole in the pan. pressure sensor had flagged up along with a couple more bits.

They are telling me they have never seen or heard of this happening before. has anyone on here heard of such a thing happening ?

Thanks in advance
Old 03-24-2016, 12:33 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
CLS 320 cdi
Blimey ! Never heard of that before. The DPF is designed to get very hot, it's what it does to regenerate (clean itself). Be interesting to know what caused it. Good luck with the repair.

R
The following users liked this post:
Chris Hindle (03-24-2016)
Old 03-24-2016, 04:05 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cls Grand Edition
Yeah I've become an expert on them this week LOL

I kid you not - the underneath of the car was like an orange light was on - very scary.