CLS Coupe (C219) Discuss the CLS Coupe.

Brake nightmare!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-30-2016, 08:01 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
12 CLS 550, 65 Shelby 427 SC, 03 GMC Envoy
I changed my rotors and pads 9 months ago. Slotted and drilled rotors and Brembo ceramic pads. Braking is phenomenal, very little dust. But yes, they squeal just before full stop. Loud at first, then I did the recommended bedding in. Better now. I saw that you had ceramic pads before. I'm pretty sure that was where your squeak was originating.
Old 08-30-2016, 08:17 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 190 Likes on 169 Posts
2006 E55, 2012 GLK350 & 1992 190e sportline
I know it might sound crazy but my when brakes start to make noise (all OE equipment) I do a couple of 60 - 0 hard stops and it goes away.
Old 08-30-2016, 05:08 PM

Received 27 Likes on 26 Posts
2010 e550 coupe
Originally Posted by insame1
I know it might sound crazy but my when brakes start to make noise (all OE equipment) I do a couple of 60 - 0 hard stops and it goes away.
This was a constant squeal but it was remedied by changing the rear pads. The mechanic for whatever reason did everything but check the pads and did not test drive the car so we ended up both spending money (he had to give free labor) I had to buy new pads... which I guess isn't the worst thing in the world.

Originally Posted by click430
I changed my rotors and pads 9 months ago. Slotted and drilled rotors and Brembo ceramic pads. Braking is phenomenal, very little dust. But yes, they squeal just before full stop. Loud at first, then I did the recommended bedding in. Better now. I saw that you had ceramic pads before. I'm pretty sure that was where your squeak was originating.
Actually the pads that were originally on the car were mercedes oem which I believe are partially ceramic? Or possibly full metallic.. I am not quite sure as mercedes gets their parts from everywhere these days. But what I purchased was some ate full ceramic pads which totally eliminated the noise. I might stick with this brand given how short lived the "oem mercedes" pads were. Also atleast this way I know what i'm getting every time instead of a box that says mercedes but could be from anywhere.
Old 10-04-2016, 03:11 AM

2010 e550 coupe
Well barely just two month's after making this post the brake squeal has returned. I'm guessing this is not a simple brake pad/rotor issue as I changed essentially everything 2 months ago (mercedes rotors and ate ceramic pads) but not sure what to do at this point. Any suggestions or thoughts would be appreciated? First set of pads lasted 6 months... second set 2 months...
Old 10-04-2016, 01:45 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Dump the ceramic pads and get OE ones. Also make sure you grease the back of the pads up really well. Most brake noise is a pad vibrating.
Old 10-04-2016, 07:46 PM

2010 e550 coupe
Dump the ceramic pads and get OE ones. Also make sure you grease the back of the pads up really well. Most brake noise is a pad vibrating.
Every car I've owned up until this cls has never benefitted to my knowledge from pad grease, on my old e class I just put new pads on and the squeal went away for atleast a year until the pads were significantly worn. And I thought that ceramic pads were supposed to be superior to metallic? Could it be another part of the brake system that is causing this because the prior set of mercedes pads I had on it lasted me about 6 months (they squealed as well but did not show significant wear). Two months then brake squeal again? I have not yet removed these pads yet but there's no way they could have worn this fast. I've never heard of this... I don't commute a hundred miles a day and I don't take the car to the track.
Old 12-29-2016, 06:25 AM

2010 e550 coupe
Just wanted to see if I could get any input on this... in the course of about 6 months I have had about 4 different brands of pads on this car. I also have new rotors on the car... every pad has produced brake squeal after a certain period of time ( some sooner then others). I've used oems, and ate ceramics. There is also an occasional scraping noise that happens towards the end of my first heavy initial brakes after starting the vehicle. I've taken it to multiple mechanics and never been able to replicate the scraping noise as that usually happens on a hill and the squeal is very intermittent as well. So really nobody can diagnose the problem so far. Any ideas as to what could be causing this issue or how i could get this fixed it's quite bothersome to have brand new brakes that squeal and crunch. I know this car is capable of not making brake noise as I drove for a year prior to this on new oem pads just fine.
Old 12-29-2016, 09:00 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

I would check all of your calipers and mounts. Also pads in them selves do not create the squeal noise you are hearing. That noise is vibration transferred through the brake system. Installing the pads correctly with the proper lubricant is key.
Old 12-29-2016, 10:36 AM

2010 e550 coupe
I would check all of your calipers and mounts. Also pads in them selves do not create the squeal noise you are hearing. That noise is vibration transferred through the brake system. Installing the pads correctly with the proper lubricant is key.
Where would be key parts to lubricate?. I have checked and changed these pads a number of different times and have done many brake jobs on other vehicles in the past and am wondering if this could be a more serious issue with the braking system. The last shop I took it to the guy lubricated the brakes... squeal was gone for maybe about a week until I had to drive about 80 miles and it's been squealing ever since. Also what is more concerning then the squeal is the rubbing noise I get from somewhere in the front of my vehicle, sounds a lot like the noise the underbody will make if you scrape a speedbump or something. It does this on the first few complete stops after starting the car. I don't want to sell this car but I also don't want to go crazy chasing a brake noise.
Old 02-15-2017, 06:23 PM

2010 e550 coupe
Bump any ideas? I took the car to mercedes for a full inspection and they said everything is fine... I doubt they did any test driving so as far as them not hearing any noise they would be full of ****. They did however mention that my front control arm bushings are worn.. I looked and they are a bit cracked... Would this cause a grind noise in the front of the car when going down a hill or when breaking? Maybe due to weight transfer?
Old 02-16-2017, 08:19 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Have you changed the pads out to OE yet?
Old 02-16-2017, 09:21 AM

2010 e550 coupe
Have you changed the pads out to OE yet?
Yes I got all pads front and back from mercedes.. the front is brembo and the back is jurid.. And I believe the grinding is coming from the front while the squealing is coming from the back. Lol makes me wonder if brembos grind and jurids squeal.
Old 03-06-2017, 10:12 PM

2010 e550 coupe
Welp, as much as I'd like to keep this car it looks like I may have to sell it as not even the mercedes benz dealership itself is able to diagnose the myriad of brake related issues. Because everything is new pads, rotors, etc.. and the brakes function properly they do as every other mechanic does and disregards the constant and noises being made. I drive this car daily so I hear these noises daily, they most likely drive it around the block (they may not even test drive the damn thing) and if its not right in front of their face they say it's fine. The service advisor even said this is just something that you have to put up with now with these new metallic compounds in brakes on your 100 thousand dollar cars. To which i replied I have owned 4 benz's and none have had these issues. What a load of crap. He was however glad to tell me they could fix my slightly worn bushings for 5 grand. Guess I'll be looking into a newer cls under warranty so they can't give me the run around. Lesson learned I guess don't bring a mercedes that isn't brand new into the dealership or they will treat it like a 1982 corolla.
Old 03-10-2017, 01:37 PM

Received 32 Likes on 30 Posts
2006 CLS55
Originally Posted by Dnasty
Welp, as much as I'd like to keep this car it looks like I may have to sell it as not even the mercedes benz dealership itself is able to diagnose the myriad of brake related issues. Because everything is new pads, rotors, etc.. and the brakes function properly they do as every other mechanic does and disregards the constant and noises being made. I drive this car daily so I hear these noises daily, they most likely drive it around the block (they may not even test drive the damn thing) and if its not right in front of their face they say it's fine. The service advisor even said this is just something that you have to put up with now with these new metallic compounds in brakes on your 100 thousand dollar cars. To which i replied I have owned 4 benz's and none have had these issues. What a load of crap. He was however glad to tell me they could fix my slightly worn bushings for 5 grand. Guess I'll be looking into a newer cls under warranty so they can't give me the run around. Lesson learned I guess don't bring a mercedes that isn't brand new into the dealership or they will treat it like a 1982 corolla.
even then they will.
I took my CLS55 in and they can never "replicate the noise". (suspension issue)
When they suggested the brakes are due for replacement I said I would be doing the install myself and going with an aftermarket pad to reduce brake dust. The service advisor said "Why would you do that? It's not the pads that create the dust"

I was flooooooooored.
Old 04-01-2017, 09:47 PM

2010 e550 coupe
Originally Posted by FunkTron
even then they will.
I took my CLS55 in and they can never "replicate the noise". (suspension issue)
When they suggested the brakes are due for replacement I said I would be doing the install myself and going with an aftermarket pad to reduce brake dust. The service advisor said "Why would you do that? It's not the pads that create the dust"

I was flooooooooored.

Yea the service advisors are a joke at mb, I believe possibly worse then the sales agents. Two different dealerships gave me two different assessments and my braking system passed with flying colors but they each found other minor issues they were ready to charge me exorbitant money for.

I finally readdressed this issue, probably partially because I may have ocd and this noise just drives me nuts.

I went for a hailmary and just bought some 40 ish dollar wagner thermo quiet pads. for the front. I drove around the block immediately after for the initial break in process and not one noise. I thought for sure I was in the clear.. lol. So i decided to get something to eat and squeal city was back and greater than ever.

Squealed all the way to fat burger and I got frustrated and stomped on the pedal did a really hard stop. Squeal went away. and I drove back home squeal free.

Started it back up today. Squeal city again... stomped on the pedal hard Squeals gone. I then parked somewhere for about an hour... the squeal returned. So of course I stomped on the brakes again and drove home squeal free.

I learned a few things from this experience. 1. the squeal is completely related to the front brakes. 2 stomping on the pedal eliminates the noise (atleast until I turn the car off for a significant amount of time in which case this process repeats).
3. I have no idea what the problem is but my first thought is that I need to put new pads and rotors on the front of the car at the same time to remedy it. Although I currently have 2 month old mercedes "oem" rotors on the front end and have tried many different pads (including oem brembo mercedes) on them maybe they are warped?

How would I be able to tell if they were warped? When I spin the rotor with the wheels off and the car in the air, they don't spin freely. There is some inconsistency like it slows down at certain portions of the rotor and spins free at others. I don't know if this is a sign.
Another thing that occurred to me is that maybe it is heat related? Even though vented rotors are what came on the car and what is recommended would getting cross drilled rotors benefit this.

If I do go with new rotors and pads any suggestions of a good combination? I hear good things about zimmerman z coated rotors.. not sure which pads to pair them with. Akebono cermaic? I am wary of ceramic pads a bit because this issue began when I started initially needed to change pads about a year ago and went with ate ceramic... they lasted for about 3 months fine and then began to squeal and it has been downhill ever since.

I also came across these.. should I just avoid this or is there any good with these bundles. I saw a similar brand advertising on this site.
Amazon Amazon

Sorry for the essay and thanks in advance for any of you guys input.