Detailing & Automotive Care Use this forum to discuss detailing, cleaning and automotive care to maintain the beauty in your Mercedes-Benz.

How to: Removing embedded contaminents (grittyness) by clay

Search this Thread

Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 5.00 average.

Old 08-16-2002, 06:07 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
Mercedes-Benz
How to: Removing surface contamination (grittyness) by clay

If after washing your car and u rub your paint and it feels rough or gritty, I highly suggest you follow this technique to renew the smooth as glass feeling your car had when it was new. I recommend doing this once or twice a year, more often if u live near a railroad track.

1) Well first off I would wash you whole vehicle with a quality car wash soap and a microfiber mitt using this technique .washing technique

2) Purchase a good quality clay bar from a local parts store or online (I like clay magic (blue bar), pinnacle poly clay, Zaino Z18 clay).

3)I suggest cutting the bar in 1/2 or in fourths and just using that section and put the rest in a plastic baggie. Use the Lube that comes with it and spray a 2x2 section with about 3-4 mists (make sure u are working in the shade or a garage!). Rub the clay in a back and forth motion (front of car to back of car) using little to no pressure. If you hear or feel grit fold the clay bar into itself covering the side u just used to expose new fresh clay. I personally would fold the bar twice every 2x2 section just to be safe. If you do not you can induce swirl marks or fine scratches that will have to be polished out with a buffer. Also If u drop the clay bar, immediately discard the clay. It is worthless once it is dropped on the ground because the dirt off the ground will scratch your paint if u try and use it.

4)After u finish the section you can opt to leave it wet or buff off the lube with a good quality microfiber towel (which can also be purchase at www.properautocare.com or www.neatitems.com, i personally prefer the neatitems towels, www.pakshak.com also has good quality towels) or you can leave the residue on the vehicle and just completely rewash the vehicle afterwards (i prefer this route, less of a chance of scratching).

5)Then if you have swirl marks and scratches i would buff the car following this technique buffing technique . Then I highly recommend sealing the paint with either a carnuaba wax( some good waxes are blitz, P21S, Pinnacle paste glaz and souveran) or a good quality synthetic sealant(Zaino, Klasse, meguiars #20). Zaino can be purchased at www.zainobros.com and all the other products listed can be purchased at www.properautocare.com www.autogeek.net and www.premiumautocare.com .

alternative lube: Instead of wasting expensive Quick detailer or clay lube I usually use this to lube the car instead, however this method REQUIRES u wash the vehicle afterwards. What I do is wash the car and leave it wet, do not dry it. I mix 1 ounce of Meguiars Gold Class car wash shampoo with 16-17 ounces of warm water in a spray bottle. And spray it on just like i would with the quick detailer. I actually find this way provides more lubrication and lessens the chance of scratching, plus its a lot cheaper

Last edited by AlBoston; 04-23-2003 at 07:04 PM.
Old 11-19-2002, 10:41 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
95 E420 (124)
One question:
once you perform the claying process, how often do you go back and clay again? and do you do the process from A to Z ...meaning Dawn wash, clay and Zaino all over again or you clay and just add one or two Zaino coats? THNX
Old 11-19-2002, 01:01 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
C32 AMG
You can clay the surface when it starts to lose it's slickness. Some people like to do it every six months to one year. It's really up to you and the car's surface condition. If there is still Zaino on the car after you clay, then you can go right ahead and apply another layer of Zaino. If you think all the Zaino is gone, then do a quick dawn wash. Dawn does not remove the Zaino. If there is some Zaino left after six months, perhaps use some ZFX with your Z5 or Z2.

You must use ZFX every six months anyway (or every 10 coats) to keep the bond strong, so if Zaino is on the paint or not, it will bond in both cases.
The following users liked this post:
Eubios (03-05-2016)
Old 12-04-2002, 06:59 PM

c-240
washing after claying

do i wash with dawn again.
Old 12-04-2002, 10:15 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
C32 AMG
No, dawn is not needed. If you used a quick detailer spray as lubricant, you don't have to rewash, but it is sometimes recommended. I don't really think the added security is worth the effort (because it takes me so long to meticulously wash the car), so I don't rewash. However, I most often use car wash as lubricant (recommended), then you pretty much are forced too.

So basically, wash with your regular car wash and not dawn. Dawn is not something to be whipped out often, it's basically only used for first time Zaino prep. I prefer to use a cleaner to strip wax.
Old 04-14-2003, 05:08 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I've clayed cars before but my only warning is to avoid Meguires clay. It's probably the least expensive but it left a sticky clay deposit on the car and was not easy to remove. I know have the best luck with a clay based foam pad polish. Has the same effect as the clay bar but is faster and removes the swirl marks too.
Old 05-11-2003, 10:06 AM
moomeh

Originally posted by Buellwinkle
I now have the best luck with a clay based foam pad polish. Has the same effect as the clay bar but is faster and removes the swirl marks too.

what manufacture makes these clay based foam pad polisher?
Old 06-07-2003, 10:14 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Mercedes-Benz
Originally posted by moomeh
what manufacture makes these clay based foam pad polisher?
griots does, I cringe at the thought of using a buffer with clay on it. Claying can easily induce scratches if not careful.
Old 06-21-2003, 04:10 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

09' 335i coupe
could u clay the car with out the lube?

ano0oj
Old 06-22-2003, 02:15 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Mercedes-Benz
Originally posted by ano0oj
could u clay the car with out the lube?

ano0oj
you need some type of lubricant, the first posting gives step by step directions...
Old 07-01-2003, 05:31 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
w211 & w124
Thanks for all the info. Do you guys recommend using a buffer or hand-buffing it? If so, do you rec. the 10-inch buffer or a smaller 5-6inch one?
Old 01-19-2004, 12:48 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Don't use a large pad unless you really know what you are doing, the high speed of the edge can easily burn the paint if you don't know what you are doing. The smaller pads are much safer, I use a 6" that's 2" thick. The only time I use a 10" is with a wool pad for cutting through heavily oxidize or faded paint to remove a layer.
Old 01-23-2004, 09:35 PM

2002 MB E55 AMG
I've used the Griot's clay with their Speed Shine product as a lubricant - works great!

TJC
Old 01-10-2005, 09:34 PM
Superior Shine

New meguiars clay

I've clayed cars before but my only warning is to avoid Meguires clay. It's probably the least expensive but it left a sticky clay deposit on the car and was not easy to remove.
Meguiars clay WAS bad stuff. But--------

Last year Meguiars released a new clay, actually two new clays, blue medium and red agressive.

Really good stuff now.
Old 01-10-2005, 09:40 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Clay is bad. There is a new things out that's supposed to be better, wipe kinda thing with a towel. More data on this later on.
Old 02-13-2005, 09:05 PM

Mercedes c200 elegance
So just to clarify:

"If there is zaino left on the vehicle after claying then one can simply apply a new coat of zaino. If there is no zaino then one needs to completely prep the vehicle again." - paraphrased quote.

I suppose the question I'm asking here is does claying remove zaino? If not then I should very rarely have to use dawn again as there will always be zaino on the vehicle, even after claying.

Thanks for your advice
Old 04-26-2005, 08:25 PM

98 S320 LWB

using the lube is recommended by most of the clay manufacturers because some soaps can cause the clay to deteriorate.
Old 06-10-2005, 06:52 PM

C 230K Coupé
My zaino clay didn't come with any lubricant, any suggestions on what kinda of lubricant to use?
Old 06-15-2005, 03:27 PM

2005 SLK55 AMG
Originally Posted by r3v1ls
My zaino clay didn't come with any lubricant, any suggestions on what kinda of lubricant to use?
Zaino's clay instructions instruct you to use a diluted mixture of their carwash and water. Works for me.
Old 08-12-2005, 04:58 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'03 Yukon XL Denali, '06 Eclipse GS
I began claying just weeks ago using Mother's Clay Bar. It has not disappointed me as far as results, plus it comes with a lubricant spray bottle and wax, all for $17.
Old 11-24-2005, 03:38 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Brabus K3
Originally Posted by ricky.agrawal
Clay is bad. There is a new things out that's supposed to be better, wipe kinda thing with a towel. More data on this later on.
Any News?
Old 11-24-2005, 03:43 AM
Out Of Control!!

Originally Posted by rubensans
Any News?
You'll be better off PMing Kar Don about it. He might have more information, I'll try to contact him as well.
Old 11-24-2005, 10:56 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by ricky.agrawal
You'll be better off PMing Kar Don about it. He might have more information, I'll try to contact him as well.
Ricky, this contradicts what you've been saying about the effectiveness of clay... now it's bad? It's abrasive, yes, but nothing remotely harmful to the paint itself.
Old 11-24-2005, 04:51 PM
Out Of Control!!

Originally Posted by MBE55AMG
Ricky, this contradicts what you've been saying about the effectiveness of clay... now it's bad? It's abrasive, yes, but nothing remotely harmful to the paint itself.
That's what I was thinking as well. Kar Don first told me about this 'towel' thing a while ago, but we never talked about it again. Like I said, someone PM him, I'm trying to contact him about it through AIM.
Old 11-24-2005, 05:28 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Well let us know once you find out about it! Thanks!

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: How to: Removing embedded contaminents (grittyness) by clay