Detailing & Automotive Care Use this forum to discuss detailing, cleaning and automotive care to maintain the beauty in your Mercedes-Benz.

How to: Conditioning leather seats with Leatherique

Search this Thread

Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average.

Old 03-05-2003, 12:33 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
AlBoston,

I mean no offense here but I know the difference between paint and leather. On paint one would use a paint cleaner to determine if there is a clear coat or not. On leather one would not use a paint cleaner to determine if there is a coating on the leather.

While you have not had the expereince of color coming off a leather seat I surely have. Especially Ferrari leather and older Jag's.

With MB's I have not experienced much color transfer. Nor have I with domestic vehicles as much as I have had with imports.

In fact many enthusiasts condition their leather PRIOR to using a cleaner claiming that the proper conditioner will loosen imbedded grease, grime and sweat. Lifting it so a pass with a cleaner will pick it all up.

For Cone the best advice right now is for him to read his owners manual as how to best clean his leather.

I would also like to advise people not to rub their leather seats while cleaning or conditionining as one would rub polish into their cars exterior but rather lightly massage the conditioner into the seats. Trim your nails and get rid of the rings and watches.

There is a "home" prescription that is said to be the best leather conditioner. It is a 50/50 combination of neetsfoot oil and anhydrous lanolin BUT be warned that neetsfoot oil should not be allowed to sit or set into the stitching because it can cause premature deterioration.

I don't believe Leatherique has neetsfoot oil.

Thank you,
Anthony
Old 03-05-2003, 04:03 AM

2013 SL 350, ML 350 BT
Originally posted by Anthony Orosco
Cone,

Hey there, so sorry for the delay in my response but we have had days and days of rain and just cloudy bleak weather here in Texas and the last two days have been real nice so I have been slammed with dirty cars. Detailing is feast or famine.

Before I reply to your question may I first ask what methods or products have you used, if any, to try and remove the blemishes?

I only ask because sometimes certain cleaning items can set the blemishes in.

Take care,
Anthony
Hi, I never used any cleaning products, I have some dirties in the armrests and driver seat made for rub with clothes
Regards

Last edited by cone; 03-05-2003 at 04:06 AM.
Old 03-06-2003, 03:32 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E350, S320, Mini Cooper S
Just one question, are the Rejuvinator Oil and Prestine Clean scentless.
Old 03-06-2003, 09:26 AM

Cone,

Hello and sorry for the delay in response. You can clean your interior with a leather cleaner like Lexol (never use saddle soap) or if you want I can see if my supplier here will ship some cleaner and conditioner to you.

Use a leather brush to gently clean the leather, these can be purchased at leather stores or high end shoe stores. Be very careful around areas that look like the color has been worn off as getting these areas wet will only cause more damage to the color.

Let me know how things go.
Anthony
Old 03-06-2003, 10:21 AM

2013 SL 350, ML 350 BT
Originally posted by Anthony Orosco
Cone,

Hello and sorry for the delay in response. You can clean your interior with a leather cleaner like Lexol (never use saddle soap) or if you want I can see if my supplier here will ship some cleaner and conditioner to you.

Use a leather brush to gently clean the leather, these can be purchased at leather stores or high end shoe stores. Be very careful around areas that look like the color has been worn off as getting these areas wet will only cause more damage to the color.

Let me know how things go.
Anthony
May I use Leatherique Prestine clean for that porpose?
Regards
Old 03-06-2003, 12:02 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Yes you can. Prestine Clean is made for that, as well as cleaning after using Rejuv. Oil. I've found that Leatherique products are very good...excellent in fact for restoring neglected leather. For regular maintenance, however, they are a little pricey.
Old 03-06-2003, 04:11 PM

2013 SL 350, ML 350 BT
Originally posted by 500AMG
Yes you can. Prestine Clean is made for that, as well as cleaning after using Rejuv. Oil. I've found that Leatherique products are very good...excellent in fact for restoring neglected leather. For regular maintenance, however, they are a little pricey.
One more question as you are expert, how to remove dirties and how to apply prestine clean. Also, may use it on leather clothes or shoes?
Thanks

Last edited by cone; 03-06-2003 at 04:13 PM.
Old 03-06-2003, 06:18 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Well I'm no expert by any means; just a detailing and auto enthusiast . My '95 LS400's leather was quite neglected and Leatherique has done a good job with it (with multiple treatments). The key is by far heat...it helps the leather absorb the product.

As far as I know, Leatherique is safe for any leather. It softened up the clearcoated leather in my Chrysler minivan quite a bit. Although good absorption with clearcoated leather is tough...non-clearcoated leather will absorb MUCH better.

Here are the instructions from Leatherique's website: http://www.leatherique.com/serv02.htm

HTH
Old 03-10-2003, 10:06 PM

will the leatherique come out of plastic?? I accidently put some on plastic part on the back of my seats on my CLK430. And Can I leave it on for more than 24 hours? Like 48hrs? thanx
Old 04-23-2003, 12:25 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
'04 Silverado Z71 - sold all my Benzes and need another!
500AMG, I have heard a lot of talk on Leatherique and I am considering it now for my '97 E420 but anything on Lexol? I noticed that Lexol was mentioned for a cleaner but not as a conditioner. I was told that Lexol is the best but now I read different. Please help as I would like to work on my leather to help slow down the wrinkling and make it softer...
Old 04-23-2003, 02:26 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Jimmydagreek,

Leatherique is more of a "repair" product, than a normal month-to-month maintenance product. Lexol may fit your bill for that use. Leatherique is a pretty involved process (need lots of heat and has to soak in for quite a while). I've been using that on my '95 LS400 to fix the neglected leather there...it still could use a couple of treatments. I plan on using it on my '03 CLK about once a year.

If the leather in your E420 is getting harder and wrinkly I would definately use Leatherique to help restore it. It's not a total one-time wonder product though...depending on how bad your leather is you may need multiple applications; I know I have had to.

Finally, the better Leatherique can soak into the leather, the more effective it is...so if you can get a really nice, hot day it will aid in the process greatly.

Let me know if you have any other questions.
Old 04-23-2003, 03:31 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Thumbs up

500AMG, thank you for all of your help with this. My seats are not that bad as you can kind of see from the pic. I posted but I don't want them to get worse and would like them to be in top condition. Now, do I go to the Leaterique website to purchase their products and which products would you recommend that I buy? Sorry for all of the questions but I just want to make sure that I get it right.
Old 04-23-2003, 07:01 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
Mercedes-Benz
yes leatherique will work great on those seats, worked awesome on my ML. It made them look and feel new.
Old 04-24-2003, 03:34 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

No problem Jimmydagreek! Glad to help. Like AlBoston said, Leatherique should work well on those seats. Go to their website (www.leatherique.com) and buy the Rejuvinator Oil & Pristine Clean (pardon the spelling). I purchased 1 gallon of each because they had a great special going. If they don't have one now, I would call them and ask about it...I believe they still have discounts for MB Club members. The directions are pretty clear and are on the website for use.

HTH!
Old 04-24-2003, 11:09 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Thumbs up

500AMG, thanks again for all of your help and now I am going to go to their website and buy what you suggested. Have a good one...
Old 04-24-2003, 11:48 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

No problem! Glad I could help. Post your thoughts after you use it as well.
Old 04-28-2003, 05:20 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

500AMG, I purchased the Leatherique special package they had a good deal on. It comes with a 32oz. bottle of Rejuvinator Oil and a 32oz. bottle of Prestine Clean. I also taked a buddy of mine into it from letting him read your posts in this thread. They should be here by the end of the week. I will let you know how it goes as soon as I have the chance to apply it. Thanks again...
Old 06-12-2003, 06:48 PM

will leatherique work for this car?
Its 2000 s-430, fyi, the 2003 s-class leather feels completely different than this. It changes leather from 2002-2003, my car's leather feels "firm" even on the "0" setting from the 0-9 air inflater. I want to make it soft and nice like the 2003's... I just don't want to make my leather all shiny and black and greasy like some restored cars i've seen. I want it soft, not-moist whatsoever, and non-aged looking.

my second question is:
what should i use in a routine to clean the leather, i have these mguire leather wipes that come in a bottle, when i use that, the seats all shine and are a bit greasy.
Attached Thumbnails How to: Conditioning leather seats with Leatherique-343607_7_full-1-.jpg  

Last edited by apricotscrub; 06-12-2003 at 07:02 PM.
Old 06-12-2003, 07:23 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Thumbs up GOOD STUFF!

Sorry it's been a while since I had a chance to come back here and post my response to the Leatherique but man am I impressed!!! I don't have any pics. yet but just after one application my leather felt a lot nicer and the color looked like new! I already applied a second time and it just gets better and better. I will post some pics. after one or two more apps. 500AMG is right, putting your car in the sun for the day really helps the leather absorb the product. Thanks for all of your help guys...J

BTW apricotscrub, yes it will work on the leather in your car. Don't hesitate to buy it, you'll be pretty impressed. I us Lexol for routine cleaning if needed but I am pretty clean so not much is needed for mine. Good luck on your decision!
Old 06-12-2003, 08:06 PM

what product should i buy specifically, leatherique has so many different items, i dotn know which ones i need and which ones i dont, also, my seats have "perforations" but they are not ventilated, just stock-heated. Should i still get it done? i dont want to compromise anything!
Old 06-13-2003, 11:18 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally posted by apricotscrub
what product should i buy specifically, leatherique has so many different items, i dotn know which ones i need and which ones i dont, also, my seats have "perforations" but they are not ventilated, just stock-heated. Should i still get it done? i dont want to compromise anything!
You won't compromise anything as my seats are heated as well. You need to buy the Leatherique Rejuvinator Oil (to apply first) and the Leatherique Prestine Clean (to apply second for cleaning). I bought the 32oz kit which has both of them in it for $50.00 and that's a great deal. Here is the link: Leatherique . Let us know what you think, if and when you use these products. You won't be sorry IMO...
Old 06-13-2003, 05:14 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Mercedes-Benz
yup it works great. make sure you do it on a hot day and let the car sit for at least 24 hours, or you will not get good results.
Old 06-13-2003, 08:29 PM

cool i ordered the 50$ package too! now what tools do i need to do all this and how long should it take me
Old 06-14-2003, 02:19 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Mercedes-Benz
Originally posted by apricotscrub
cool i ordered the 50$ package too! now what tools do i need to do all this and how long should it take me
some clean spray bottles should help. Read the first post of this thread where i posted full instructions on how to apply the stuff.
Old 06-18-2003, 04:35 PM

i got the stuff, im about to use soon, just some ?'s
Can I use this on the Dash and on the doors? There is leather all over my 2000 S430, or is it just for my seats?

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: How to: Conditioning leather seats with Leatherique