Detailing & Automotive Care Use this forum to discuss detailing, cleaning and automotive care to maintain the beauty in your Mercedes-Benz.

How to: Applying waxes and Paint sealants

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-16-2009, 01:49 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Yugos only
Don't use silicone based products

I don't what is in all the products you are talking about but I know my body shop (his customers have sold over 80 cars at the Barrett-Jackson auctions restored by this guy for mid six figures) does not use silicone-based products.

He will not allow silicone-based products in his shop because they are incompatible with repainting a car to Concurs quality. They have to be stripped from the finish unlike paint-compatible products.

He mixed me up some secret formula stuff that he uses to detail cars for judging. I know that some it is 3M based but that is all he will say.

I just wash the car with DuPont car wash and then apply his secret formula.

I have seen Zaino cars at shows - they look great! My guy's secret sauce is every bit as good if not better.
Old 10-04-2009, 01:52 AM

GTI, Mini GP
Glad to seee Ker recommend Blackfire!!! I just started appliying BF and love the shirne and protection it has demonstrated on the red and black cars I've applied it on!!!!
Old 10-04-2009, 11:51 AM

Yugos only
Formula revealed

Originally Posted by ivanj
I don't what is in all the products you are talking about but I know my body shop (his customers have sold over 80 cars at the Barrett-Jackson auctions restored by this guy for mid six figures) does not use silicone-based products.

He will not allow silicone-based products in his shop because they are incompatible with repainting a car to Concurs quality. They have to be stripped from the finish unlike paint-compatible products.

He mixed me up some secret formula stuff that he uses to detail cars for judging. I know that some it is 3M based but that is all he will say.

I just wash the car with DuPont car wash and then apply his secret formula.

I have seen Zaino cars at shows - they look great! My guy's secret sauce is every bit as good if not better.
Wash the car.

Apply 3M Imperial Glaze - you may have to get this at a speciality autoparts supplier to the trade.

Apply Mother's Carnuba Wax (not wax-cleaner) - Pep Boys has this locally.

Result- world class shine that lasts and is paint-compatible!
Old 10-28-2009, 01:49 AM

bmw
How to: Applying waxes and Paint sealants?

It was European coach builders that first applied coatings of animal fats and wax to protect the custom paint on their horse-drawn carriages. This tradition has endured over 100 years and is still a great way to protect the paint on modern-day coaches.
Old 11-09-2009, 09:47 AM

2010 E350 4Matic w/sport package
Originally Posted by ivanj
Wash the car.

Apply 3M Imperial Glaze - you may have to get this at a speciality autoparts supplier to the trade.

Apply Mother's Carnuba Wax (not wax-cleaner) - Pep Boys has this locally.

Result- world class shine that lasts and is paint-compatible!
Before reading this thread I bought some Mother's Carnuba wax (not the wax cleaner) I think its "step 3" of their detail process and holy crap this stuff glides on and off so easily. It has been ages since I waxed my own car and sadly the last wax I used was Gliptone Carnuba (the green/blue stuff) and I guess waxes are much easier to get off now.

I usually gave a mobile detailer do my car at the house or I bring it to the detailer and have not kept up on new and improved waxes. The guy just applied paint sealant on my car last week and I put the Carnuba wax on last night after a wash to to test it out and was so pleased how easy it goes on and wipes right off. I also noticed my car is much smoother with the Carnuba, much more than the sealant so I assume it is okay for me to wax my car with the Carnuba wax even though the car just had this paint sealant put on? I can't see anything wrong with that?
Old 11-01-2010, 03:05 PM

07 C230 SPORT V6
I agree that not all Sealants will remove scratches, but they can hide them pretty GOOD!
Only if you go with a company that has been around, and is in car shows!!! I prefer to use Mothers - sealants/glaze, Reflections car wax, Top coat. In my opinion I think they are the best You should see how black my car IS....
Old 11-29-2010, 11:30 PM

none
Originally Posted by Kar don
First off you must wash your vehicle completely with a quality car wash soap or if you are using a paint sealant a wash using DAWN dishwashing detergent because this will strip the paint of all the waxes or oils that are on the paint. A paint sealant needs a near perfect surface so it can properly "bond" to the paint. If you do not use a dawn wash it may affect durability of the sealant. Make sure to use the blue dawn or equivalant dishwashing soap and not to use ones with lotions or oils to make it easier on the skin. .
I agree that any dishwashing liquid will out clean the average car wash soap.
If I am removing wax, I don't want to fool around with somebodies brand favorites, I want all the wax off.
Those wax brand car wash detergent will not remove wax that easily, they are not designed to cut the wax, only to clean the surface of their particular brand of wax.
This can allow for the wax to build up over time.
Old 12-15-2012, 10:14 AM

Received 61 Likes on 42 Posts
2021 Mojave Silver E450, BRG Jaguar F-pace S, 2011 335d (RIP), 2010 E350 (sold)
Originally Posted by sidwynder
I agree that any dishwashing liquid will out clean the average car wash soap.
If I am removing wax, I don't want to fool around with somebodies brand favorites, I want all the wax off.
Those wax brand car wash detergent will not remove wax that easily, they are not designed to cut the wax, only to clean the surface of their particular brand of wax.
This can allow for the wax to build up over time.
Isn't that the point of a car wash soap? I was under the impression that you can/should wash your car a few times between waxing - clean the dirt but leave the wax (or most of it anyway) on. Or are you supposed to wax it every time you wash?

If you are going to wax then you want to take off the old wax so use a soap that will do that for you.
Old 06-29-2014, 07:38 AM

Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts
18 GLC300 4M
Need NYC detail

I'm a NYC owner of 06 black E that has a few chips and little age related marks. Does anyone know of a detailer with touch-up and scratch repair skills in addition to the basics in the Queens NY area who can do house (co-op garage) calls? The best car washes near me offer detailing but I don't trust their knowledge or materials.
Old 07-12-2014, 11:35 AM

toyota
Originally Posted by ddeliber
Or are you supposed to wax it every time you wash? .
I wouldn't wax it every time I wash.
I wash my car 2 or 3 times a month, that's quite a bit of work if I have to wax it too.
It's a trick finding a wax that can take washing and not require removal for extended periods of time. Some say carnuba is long lasting but its very hard to remove.
I use a instant spray shine, it don't last but it goes on and comes off real easy.
Old 01-03-2015, 02:16 PM

R350
I had my OptiCoat Pro applied on my Diamond White 2011 R350 Jan 2014. Been washing it regularly and in October 2014 did a de-contamination with TRIX and also clayed it. Now that we are in the winter season, I was thinking of sealing it with Klasse and then applying Collonite 845 as a further protection.

What do you guys think of this approach? suggestions are welcome.
Old 06-12-2015, 05:19 PM

C 200 K
Originally Posted by secunoid
I had my OptiCoat Pro applied on my Diamond White 2011 R350 Jan 2014. Been washing it regularly and in October 2014 did a de-contamination with TRIX and also clayed it. Now that we are in the winter season, I was thinking of sealing it with Klasse and then applying Collonite 845 as a further protection.

What do you guys think of this approach? suggestions are welcome.
As I know , there is no need/advantage to put anything on the OPTICOAT.

Just wash the car with Ph neutral Shampoo and thats it...
Old 06-20-2016, 01:41 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
GLC300
Any tips for BRAND NEW car? I thought Chemical Brothers Paint Sealant which has some wax pre-mixed into the liquid would be good. However I have to do this by hand...I have no machines.