Detailing & Automotive Care Use this forum to discuss detailing, cleaning and automotive care to maintain the beauty in your Mercedes-Benz.

How to: Applying waxes and Paint sealants

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-30-2002, 07:08 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
Mercedes-Benz
How to: Applying waxes and Paint sealants

This thread is meant for applying most liquid waxes and especially paint sealants(klasse, Zaino, blackfire, etc.).

First off you must wash your vehicle completely with a quality car wash soap or if you are using a paint sealant a wash using DAWN dishwashing detergent because this will strip the paint of all the waxes or oils that are on the paint. A paint sealant needs a near perfect surface so it can properly "bond" to the paint. If you do not use a dawn wash it may affect durability of the sealant. Make sure to use the blue dawn or equivalant dishwashing soap and not to use ones with lotions or oils to make it easier on the skin.
Follow this thread for complete washing instructions. https://mbworld.org/forums/showthrea...threadid=12843 Note: Try as best you can to completely dry the vehicle, especially in areas like the mirror and body trim. These area can drip and mess your work.

For liquid waxes and Zaino I prefer to use a yellow foam applicator such as the meguiars gold class applicator. For Klasse I prefer to use a Microfiber applicator pad because of its watery consistency.

1) Lightly mist the applicator with a Quick Detail spray (Z6 for Zaino users), and for Klasse users do not use any carnuaba based Quick detail sprays (I recommend Eagle one Wet Wipe n Shine). NOTE: When using Klasse SG i do not like to wet the applicator with and Quick detail spray as it can cause a "haze". With All-in-one it is ok to use a Quick detail spray.
2) Pour about a nickel sized drop onto the appicator.
3) Dab the product in about 3 places around the panel (1/2 the panel if you are doing the hood or roof). Skip this step if you are using Klasse Sealant Glaze because it is too hard to dab it as it is too watery.
4) Using light pressure spread the product with the applicator around the area where you "dabbed" the product onto the paint, try and spread it as thinly as you can. Do this at every spot until you have covered that portion of the panel.
5) Now do this to cover the whole car (for paint sealant users and some waxes) NOTE: some waxes may need to be wiped off immediately or within a few minutes of application, if this is so wipe it off with a MF towel or 100% cotton towel as per the instructions. Using a paint sealant (even Zaino with ZFX) I apply the product to the entire vehicle and then begin to wipe off the residue after the amount of time given by the manufacturer of the product (immediately if using Zaino with ZFX).
5) Now let the product sit on the paint surface as per the instructions on the product and depending on the weather conditions. For low temperatures or humid conditions the product may need to sit on the paint for a longer period of time.
6) Wipe the product off the paint using little to no pressure, let the towel do the work. A small amount of dust may have settled on the paint so you do not want to use pressure here, let the towel do the work. Flip the towel often and change the towel after you have used all of its sides.
7) You should be finished now, if there are stubborn spots spray a quick detail spray onto the paint and wipe off with a clean MF or 100% cotton towel.

Last edited by AlBoston; 12-30-2002 at 07:15 PM.
The following users liked this post:
MACEDON (05-31-2017)
Old 12-30-2002, 07:57 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
MB
nj man
Old 12-31-2002, 10:50 AM
Out Of Control!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Great Information for sticky!
Old 12-31-2002, 01:45 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
Mercedes-Benz
Thanks guys!
Old 06-21-2003, 03:58 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
09' 335i coupe
alboston, what about wax that is paste, i have meguires, just wondering if i was doing it properly

ano0oj
Old 06-22-2003, 03:53 AM

996 Turbo
Thanks for the info

What about orbital buffers? I have heard conflicting info about whether they are safe to use or not. They do make life easy though!
Old 06-23-2003, 10:16 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
'03 W211 aka E-500
Try Here:

https://mbworld.org/forums/showthrea...threadid=17340
Old 07-01-2004, 09:36 PM

E55
Newbie needs advice

I am a complete newbie at aesthetic maintenance. My idea of washing a car is ot take it a hand car wash.

First question. Full of ambition, I went and got the Mercedes kit. They have things like `Paint Cleaner,' `Paint Care,' .... On this site, I read about clay, sealant, .... Is htere a correspondence?

Second question: How should I clean glass (windshield, lights, ..) and trnasparent plastic (covers for displays). What is the cover for the instrument panel -- plastic I suppose?
Old 11-27-2004, 03:03 AM

2005 E55, 2010 ML350
hey guys,

just got my black e55 this wknd. wondering how frequenty i should be waxing my new car. should the wax job differ from when i prepare her for winter vs. maintenance waxing? i'm garaging her at all times and trying to avoid the rain (not commute car).

i've bought the zaino product line and this will be my first time using it. any/all advice is welcome. i'd prefer to learn from others' experiences if i can.

thanks,
Gareth
Old 02-03-2006, 10:49 AM
M.J

E-240 2000 , E-240 2001 , CLS350 2006
when applying the wax, i find that it is hard to wipe it again and not like you say over here, i need to press in the applicator hard and just leting the towel do the work won't wipe it , i am using prestone synthitic , am i doing somthing wrong !!!! do i have to leave the wax a bit longer then wipe it ????

Last edited by M.J; 02-03-2006 at 10:58 AM.
Old 02-03-2006, 05:20 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'03 Yukon XL Denali, '06 Eclipse GS
Originally Posted by M.J
when applying the wax, i find that it is hard to wipe it again and not like you say over here, i need to press in the applicator hard and just leting the towel do the work won't wipe it , i am using prestone synthitic , am i doing somthing wrong !!!! do i have to leave the wax a bit longer then wipe it ????
Prestone Synthetic... never heard of it, but usually all synthetic polymer waxes should be easy wipe and wipe off, without the hardness of carnauba. Perhaps it dried on there too much, but I doubt it because the NXT wipes off without trouble even after covering the whole car.

You can always use quick detailer sprays to help on with wax residues.
Old 02-14-2006, 01:48 PM
Out Of Control!!

K Car
Just to add.....

A little goes a long way. Make sure you are applying it in thin coats. This will also make it easier when you go to buff it out.
Old 06-24-2006, 05:14 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'03 W211 aka E-500
Here's a tip. If you are using something besides Meguiar's or Zaino, don't ask how good is Acme brand or such and such a brand. Simply read all the advice you see here. Then do the following:

1. Throw out the crap you did buy.
2. Buy Meguiar's or Zaino or Klasse as recommended twenty bazillion times all over this forum and nearly every other luxury or exotic car forum.
3. Use as directed by the product manufacturer and/or the experts in the forum detailing threads (and even autopia.com).

Good day,

EDJ
Old 06-24-2006, 09:02 PM

E55
Wink

Originally Posted by ElDiabloJoe
Here's a tip. If you are using something besides Meguiar's or Zaino, don't ask how good is Acme brand or such and such a brand. Simply read all the advice you see here. Then do the following:

1. Throw out the crap you did buy.
2. Buy Meguiar's or Zaino or Klasse as recommended twenty bazillion times all over this forum and nearly every other luxury or exotic car forum.
3. Use as directed by the product manufacturer and/or the experts in the forum detailing threads (and even autopia.com).

Good day,

EDJ
Interesting that you figure Nxt and Zaino are in a tie for first place
Old 06-25-2006, 12:34 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

1999 C280
Sonus and Zaino both make excellant products. I think the results are so close that it becomes a matter of preference. Personally i havent tired sonus, but i use Zaino, cause they are a good company and headquarted 15 mins away.
Old 06-25-2006, 09:08 AM

E55
Originally Posted by NdnMbLova
Sonus and Zaino both make excellant products. I think the results are so close that it becomes a matter of preference. Personally i havent tired sonus, but i use Zaino, cause they are a good company and headquarted 15 mins away.
Is there a manufacturer called Sonus? Or are Sonus products made by other companies and marketed by Autopia?

BTW, do we now have a 4 way tie between Klasse, Zaino, Nxt and Sonus? Or, is Zaino in frist place with the others in a tie for socond?
Old 06-27-2006, 02:06 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

1999 C280
Originally Posted by Pbglas
Is there a manufacturer called Sonus? Or are Sonus products made by other companies and marketed by Autopia?

BTW, do we now have a 4 way tie between Klasse, Zaino, Nxt and Sonus? Or, is Zaino in frist place with the others in a tie for socond?
http://www.sonus-usa.com/ and sonus products are also found on atuopia.
Old 06-27-2006, 04:13 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'03 W211 aka E-500
Originally Posted by Pbglas
Interesting that you figure Nxt and Zaino are in a tie for first place
I never said that. I simply grouped them in the same echelon. I assume Nxt is Meguiar's?

There are first tier waxes, and then the rest. Just like colleges.

EDJ
Old 06-28-2006, 10:55 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

1999 C280
Try sonus, zaino or meguirs. They are all excellant products.
Old 11-13-2006, 05:21 AM

2003 Ford F350-gone 2002 Mercedes C200 Kompressor 1998 Suzuki Vitara 1995 Mercedes C180-sold
Try a polish called Nanolack. I detail Ferrari's and Maserati's, price is not an issue, skill, knowledge and product however is. Most people assume Meguiar's to be good, BUT I can assure you that aside from meguiar's microfibre cloths, the rest of the range Isn't nessecarilly the best. I hope this helps fellow MB owners.
Old 01-29-2007, 01:13 PM

AMG GTS
Hey guys I recently decided to clay bar my car...I got the lube and clay...i got Meguiar's #7 for the polish....as for wax...i thought i bought the Synthetic Paint Sealant Meguiar's #21....but i accidentally got the Meguiar's #20 Polymer Paint Sealant...Do you guys know if the results of these sealants are similar? Will Polymer be more harmful to my paint than the Synthetic?
Old 01-29-2007, 01:33 PM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Synthetics are essentially an artificial wax created in a lab. Polymers are a form of synthetics. The other popular form of sealants are acrylics or acrylic resins. Neither product should harm the surface at all and are probably very similar, although I don't know for sure. Let me know if you have any other questions.

Greg @ Detailed Image
The following users liked this post:
T. M. (04-26-2020)
Old 01-29-2007, 09:35 PM

AMG GTS
Originally Posted by Greg@DI
Synthetics are essentially an artificial wax created in a lab. Polymers are a form of synthetics. The other popular form of sealants are acrylics or acrylic resins. Neither product should harm the surface at all and are probably very similar, although I don't know for sure. Let me know if you have any other questions.

Greg @ Detailed Image
Thank you very much Greg.
Sometimes in these following weeks I will apply what I have to my Lexus RX300 (I keep the C230K Sedan garaged and the RX300 sits outside collecting all the fog and ocean mist...I live about 10 blocks from the Pacific)
The stuff I plan to put on the Lexus are:
Clay Magic's clay bar & lube
Meguiar's #7 Polish
Meguiar's #20 Polymer Paint Sealant
...and possibly some of Meguiar's Carnuba (if i'm not too tired from the up above)

i'll post pics as soon as I get this done...thanks again for the reply Greg.
Old 01-29-2007, 09:41 PM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Glad the info helped, can't wait to see pics!

Greg @ Detailed Image
Old 02-24-2008, 04:38 PM

2007 Cooper S (I drive everything)
Originally Posted by c230K415
i got Meguiar's #7 for the polish
Not that it's a bad product at all, quite the contrary for certain situations. It is not, however, a "polish" IMO. Meguiars #7 is and excellent glaze and filler. Probably the best glaze/filler I've ever seen. You can literally make almost any scratched up, swirlmarked car look great with it, for a few days anyway. It's great for a car going to a show, but pretty much useless for something that you're going to drive. It doesn't actually remove anything from your paint in the way of scuffs, scratches, or swirls. It simply hides them.

As far as the old sealants vs. wax debate, some sealants will give you more durability than basic carnuba wax, and look good too, just don't be under the impression that anything on the planet is going to protect your paint for longer than 6 months or a year at best, speaking of daily drivers of course. I tell my clients to not waste their money on dealer add-on sealant packages that come with some sort of nebulous warranty. What exactly are they warranting anyway? The paint's probably not going to just fall off your new Mercedes, even if you never wax it or anything.
I've found Zaino to be decent stuff, but extremely time-consuming and difficult to use. Klasse is a good product that's been around forever. Eagle one Nano-wax in the spray or liquid paste is pretty good stuff. Meguiars Nextec is also great. I use all of those on occasion and according to client preferences, but for the most part, I use a product called MicroSeal 2000 from Blue Ribbon products. It has great shine and durability and is really quite easy to use. If I'm using wax, I like Formula113 carnuba-based liquid. They also make one of the best quick detailers on the market in their Bead-X spritz. I love that stuff for a final wipe and as a little wax-booster.
IMO, 99% of getting the paint right is in the proper polishing and preparation. If that's done well, it matters very little what wax or sealant you finish it off with. Barry Meguiar has given my clients "Best Paint" awards 3 different times at shows, which is a reflection (pun intended) on the job I've done preparing the car. He also knows that for the most part, I don't use his products. He's a very fair guy and I try to recommend his products to do it yourself guys. They're pretty much idiot proof (no offense), and do what they say they're going to do. He also gives tons of support to the car show industry (if one would call it an "industry").

All for now.

Gar

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: How to: Applying waxes and Paint sealants